HPI Nitro Rush Evo vs. Traxxas Nitro Sport SE?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m98bigshot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I'm new to Nitro Trucks. My friend has a Traxxas T-Maxx Monster Truck, and I was looking to purchase a stadium truck. He recommended a Traxxas product or a product from HPI. I am looking to stay below $260 (U.S.) for a RTR package. I am looking for a dependable truck to go about 38+ M.P.H. off small jumps and over packed dirt and in wide open fields of short grass. My two primary choices are the Traxxas Nitro Sport SE and the Nitro Rush Evo. Is there any major advantage that the Evo has over the Sport? I read in one review that the chassis of the Sport was considerably weak, but that could just be an opinion. All I'm really looking for is a quick, reliable truck to race around with my buddies. I'm on a pretty tight budget considering I'm only 15. Thanks for all your help in advance.

-m98

BTW- Can the rims on stadium trucks be replaced with chrome ones? Or are they exclusive to the monster trucks? Thanks.

m98bigshot said:
Hi, I'm new to Nitro Trucks. My friend has a Traxxas T-Maxx Monster Truck, and I was looking to purchase a stadium truck. He recommended a Traxxas product or a product from HPI. I am looking to stay below $260 (U.S.) for a RTR package. I am looking for a dependable truck to go about 38+ M.P.H. off small jumps and over packed dirt and in wide open fields of short grass. My two primary choices are the Traxxas Nitro Sport SE and the Nitro Rush Evo. Is there any major advantage that the Evo has over the Sport? I read in one review that the chassis of the Sport was considerably weak, but that could just be an opinion. All I'm really looking for is a quick, reliable truck to race around with my buddies. I'm on a pretty tight budget considering I'm only 15. Thanks for all your help in advance.

-m98

BTW- Can the rims on stadium trucks be replaced with chrome ones? Or are they exclusive to the monster trucks? Thanks.

Hands down the rush outta the two. I have a rush (not evo) and a neighbor has a nitro sport SE. He Hates his, it breaks all the time, and never ever runs right. The Rush is a good car, the suspension is VERY durable, you will never hear anyone complain about the suspension except for it flexing too much. Fles is GOOD for durability, but not so good for racing. But, on the rush, you will start to have a few minor problems 2 gallons or so down the road.

And, yes you can get chrome rims for ST's. HPI makes like 4 patterns of chrome wheels that are a direct fit for the rush. I think that on the rush you have to use hpi rims, unless you take off the hex adapters, but I like the hpi wheels. Also, on the chrome rims, the chrome will start to chip off on the outer rims of the wheels.

Traxxas products do seem to break a bit more out of the box then the HPI products, But i have a traxxas nitro rustler and with a few parts from rdracingproducts.com you would have yourself a sweet ride! the rustler is a little faster then what you said you where lookin for but i love mine! http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJG49**&P=ML $289.99

I will 2nd the Rustler. Mine has been VERY durable. I dont know much about the Rush. I would say the Rush over the Sport. But I would take the Rustler over the Rush. Then I would say MT over the Rustler. I will say the e-z start will spoil you,no yanking of the cord. If your short on cash,there is always the used market,but I would say go new if its your 1st nitro.

Does anyone know any reliable sites to purchase the Rush ir Rush Evo at? I just wanted to take a look at the price comparision between the Rustler and the Evo or just plain Rush. And thanks for all your help so far!

skip all your current choices and go with the RC10GT. its the last link that PSU gave you. its in your price range and will perform better than all previously listed trucks.

Any comments on the RC10GT?? Thanks for the links psunitro, I didn't even know Tower Hobbies carried the Evo. The Sport SE is pretty much out, so now the Evo is my first choice with the Rustler coming in second and then the RCGT10 in third, just for lack of knowledge. Has anyone experienced major problems with the Evo? Would it be cheaper to convert to pull start as opposed to the fancy battery start? I really don't feel like buying anything besides the RTR kit and fuel. What else do I need in the way of starters? Sorry, I'm a complete newb to this. Thanks for your comments.

(Afterthought: I'm not so sure I want a 4WD truck like the Rustler. I'm sticking to 2-wheel for now. Is the Evo the best 2-wheel in the price range?)

Last edited:
actually even if you do go with the rush your still going to have to buy a glow ignitor which is about 20-25 bucks for a good one with a guage etc id say ur best bet is to go with a rc10 gt OR wait awhile untill the HPI MT2 .18 ss comes out (Stay away from the d cell ones..)

Yes thats what you would need. The Rustler is 2wd not 4wd. I have one and it is a great truck. You need a battery pack and charger for the ez start,fuel,and batteries for the radio and reciever. I dont know much about the Rush,but the RC10 is a GREAT truck as well. If you get the RTR,you can always upgrade the parts as they break/you have $$ to factory team bits. The RC10 has proven itself at racetracks all over for years. I say go to your local hobby shop (LHS) and see what they have parts for. For the price I say go with teh RC10, then the Rustler.

Alright, seems as if the RC10GT is the popular choice here, one that I initially overlooked. It does have most of the features I want in a truck. I'm glad it doesn't have that Roto-Start, that just seemed like more of a pain than a convinience. So, I'm going with the RC10GT, as soon as I get enough cash. I'll be purchasing from Tower Hobbies, to the tune of around $260. Any last words of warning or cheaper shops, speak now! Thanks for all your help, I believe Nitro racing just got another "contributer." Great forum too! Thanks to everyone!

WAIT,just found this
http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/145610.asp

Can't beat this price with a stick! The guys on here with XTM buggies love them,all say XTM has great coustmer service,looks like you can get parts on here for it. The LHS may not have parts for this though. I would do some searches on this st. I know there are not many hop-ups for it. The ones they have are listed on the site. They also have the RC10 f/s there too

Ya, the xtm x-cellerator is another great truck, but w/ the .18, that means not race legal, and racing is hella-fun.

Yeah, I do wanna look into racing, so I think the RC10GT is for me. I like things nice and simple, makes life easier. I need a truck that is pretty popular, so I can buy parts. Are there any major defects with the RC10GT? You can get different bodies, right? And what wheels will fit it? Cuz IMO, those rims arn't that nice lookin.

Not alot of different bodies,but just buy a clear one and paint it how you want. Wheels I dont know,look on Tower and such. As foe weak points, I haven't heard of any one thing.

nevermind

Last edited:
I have a Nitro sport with a 2.5 T-maxx engine fitted and it goes like Crazy :hammer:

Turns out I can get the RC10 GT Plus RTR for $235.00. That sounds like a good deal to me. Hopefully I'll be buying it today from Tower. What screws should I Loc-tite?