HPI Nitro RS4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo_rob_1984

OverMedicated
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was just wanting a little bit of personal experience/information about this car, i have an opportunity to get one in a trade but i just wanted to know how well they perform. Its completely stock. And it doesn 't have a TX or RX but i am gonna put spektrum in it

You should probably look at a used Associated 18r instead....lol spam.

Got any pics of it? Mind saying what the trade is for to see if its worth it?

Got any pics of it? Mind saying what the trade is for to see if its worth it?

I haven't done the trade as of yet, my instructor wants to trade me for a dx3s transmitter

Its an older version i do know that for sure, and all i am going to use it for is just to run it around and get used to it, and then maybe get into on-road racing

I have a RS4 3 and with a few mods I am real happy with it, it has been a great car for quite a few years now. The only thing I would recommend is if you are going to run in parking lots don't get the belt drive versions, the RS4 original, or the RS4 2, one tiny pepple and you're replacing belts. The RS4 3 and later models are shaft driven, and are much better for parking lot running.

Thanx for the heads up on that one. . .if it is belt driven is there a shaft drive conversion for it???

oh ok. . .well thanx for all the info NC, i really appreciate it

No prob man. Like I said, I really like my RS4 3, even though it's no high end racer it's still a great rig with just a few mods. I love going to a big ass parking lot and just opening it up. If you do end up getting one I'll let ya know what I did to mine to improve the handling tremendously.

ok, sweet man, thanks. One more quick question, If it is the belt drive what kind of problems am i going to run into, other than a pebble?

Other than tearing up belts, and you WILL tear up belts, they are decent rigs too. But you will definitely want to add a tensioner to both belts or you will have constant problems.

Parts will be a little harder to find too since the belt drive versions have been discontinued about ten years now, so keep that in mind too.

WOOT i got my rs4 today and i am stoked but it needs a few things mainly a mill, the motor is BLOWN!!! and a couple of odds and ends like a spur gear, body, and i am gonna put my DX3R on it too but i just need to get a reciever
heres some pics
101_0352.jpg

101_0353.jpg

101_0354.jpg

101_0355.jpg

it seems to be in pretty good shape but i can't tell if it has the 2 speed tranny on it or not, hopefully someone can tell me if it does or not just by looking at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the single speed tranny, the two speed actually has a two geared clutchbell, and two spur gears with the second being on a centrifigal clutch. As far as the mill goes you can always use the HPI trade in program, trade that one in, plus $65 and get a .18.

You are also going to want to replace that exhaust manifold with a header like the one that comes on the SS version, that thing is way too restrictive.

Heres the two speed tranny you will need.

This is the tuned pipe I run on mine.

Tuned pipe on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/THS-Racing-HPI-...ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5271ebc3on

Heres a header if you don't want to replace the entire pipe.

But dont get the pipe until you know what engine you will get, since some are side exhaust, some are rear.

Last edited:
That's the single speed tranny, the two speed actually has a two geared clutchbell, and two spur gears with the second being on a centrifigal clutch. As far as the mill goes you can always use the HPI trade in program, trade that one in, plus $65 and get a .18.

You are also going to want to replace that exhaust manifold with a header like the one that comes on the SS version, that thing is way too restrictive.

Heres the two speed tranny you will need.

This is the tuned pipe I run on mine.

Tuned pipe on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/THS-Racing-HPI-...ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2c5271ebc3on

Heres a header if you don't want to replace the entire pipe.

But dont get the pipe until you know what engine you will get, since some are side exhaust, some are rear.

ok so its a single speed tranny then. . .i will see how quick it is with the single speed before i go and shell out the cash for the 2 speed. If i was to do the HPI Engine upgrade would it be the same engine or would it be a different one?
It already has a THS Racing pipe on it now so thats one thing i don't have to buy but that exhaust manifold is funny looking and as you said it looks really restrictive.

One more question for ya man. . .which engine would you suggest the G3.0 or the T3.0???

Last edited:
I called HPI and they told me that the T3.0 is the one that is a direct bolt in so thats the one i am going to exchange for

Cool deal, but definitely get the new header, that pos that's on there now will choke the new engine. I think you will find with the new engine you will definitely want to add the two speed, that made a huge difference on mine when I upgraded from the stock engine to a CVX .15 Hyper many years ago. I have been thinking about trading in my old 15 fe too now that the Hyper has a few years on it.

Let me help you spend some more money :hehe:

Once I added the graphite upper deck and anti sway bars the handling was a night and day difference.

Cool deal, but definitely get the new header, that pos that's on there now will choke the new engine. I think you will find with the new engine you will definitely want to add the two speed, that made a huge difference on mine when I upgraded from the stock engine to a CVX .15 Hyper many years ago. I have been thinking about trading in my old 15 fe too now that the Hyper has a few years on it.

Let me help you spend some more money :hehe:

Once I added the graphite upper deck and anti sway bars the handling was a night and day difference.

Ok well maybe i will get the new 2 speed but prolly not till next pay, i have rent due, so obviously thats a little more important than getting this thing ready to run especially when i have 3 inches+ worth of snow on the ground. but as far as the upper deck and sway bars go, i know what the sway bars do but what does the upper deck do???. . .

No doubt rents gotta come first. The upper deck increases rigidity of the entire chassis, and decreases weight for more consistent handling, used in conjunction with the sway bar kit the handling difference is incredible! But then you will also have to replace the battery with a flat pack, since the battery location in the stock upper deck will be gone. This is also a good thing though, it moves the battery pack lower and in front of the rear wheels, lowering the center of gravity.

Oh, thats definatly a good thing then (sorry for the poor spelling, i'm using my blackberry) i will probably pick that stuff up next pay then, oh BTW before i blew my weekly RC budget i ordered a body and i was wondering if you could do a sweet paint job on it for me?