HPI Nitro RS4 MT RTR 2 vs. Traxxas Nitro Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitFireV12RR

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello, I just wanted to know which you think is better, i'm not sure because I've heard the MT2 breaks alot of the plastic parts but the Rustler is only a 2WD. Rustler RS4 MT 2 RTR

I prefer the MT2. It has been greatly beefed up over the origional MT and is now much more durable. Also the 4WD is very nice to have when bashing. The T-15 is an ok engine, but I hate the TRX 2.5 engines.

Okay because i was reading on R/C Universe that when the car first came out that it had gear problems and stuff(The thread was started in 02/2004), but I guess you're talking about a new version of it? Cool cause I really want 4WD and something a little faster than an Electric Evader(piece of **junk**, in the trash).

Thanks, More Reviews wanted...
SpitFire

Last edited:
Yep, my friend runs a HPI MT2 18SS and if you can swing the extra few bucks its well worth it. His MT2 18SS could be very competitive if it were race leagal. They are extremely fast, and handle great after he added the sway bar set.. The 18SS also has a full drivetrain upgrade which helps its durability even more.

BTW...wrong thread nitrost.

i think he was telling me to look at that because I said S%#T. Anyways, yes, i think I can swing the extra dollars...if you haven't looked at my X-Mas list, it's here: Christmas List

ooooo....I see that now haha. I thought he was trying to send you to a thread about the MT2 lol.

Ok, change that to the HPI MT2 18SS. It is a kit and does not come with a radio system. You will need any radio system 2 or 3 channel AM or FM and two servos. All you need is a AM 2ch, but there are nicer radios out there. Everything else is already on you list. (you may want a glow plug wrech if you don't have one) The MT2 18SS is a very nice truck and I think the best way to learn nitros is to build them.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCFW0**&P=7

Theres an example for the radio.

what radio comes with the other. Anyways, I think I'm going to start out with a Nitro RTR and then the next I get will be a Kit version(Hopefully the savage 4.6) of a monster truck. But I don't really want to go through getting a radio and stuff, and the MT2 18SS looks the same exept it's a little cheaper.

b, bu, bum, bump, bumpi, bumpit, bumpity, bumpity b, bumpity bu, bumpity bum, bumpity bump, bumpity bum, bumpity bu, bumpity b, bumpity, bumpit, bumpi, bump, bum, bu, b.

The RTR comes with the radio that I linked you too in my post above. The RTR should be a decent truck for you to learn. Good luck and have fun.

I just bought an HPI MT2 on monday and have been patiently breaking it in a little bit each day since then. Today was the first day that I got on it a little, I have to say that I am very pleased with the performance of the truck. I can't wait to get it in some dirt. I just wish there was a 4wd stadium truck class to race it in. The truck is a blast and I love it. I didn't expect a whole lot out of the stock T-15 engine, but after a slow break-in I was pleased with the performance today, it actually runs better than I thought it would.

MT2 All the way!!

No coin toss here...Go with the MT2. I have been an avid MT2 user for the past 2 years and love this truck to death. It takes a beating and continues to run. I have run over 6 gallons of 20-30 % nitro through the stock 15 that came with the truck. I have recently upgraded the powerplant to an OS 18 that i am currently breaking in.
HPI has recently (past 6 months) updated their web site with lots of hop-up and option parts for this truck but with the release of the MT2 18SS you get most of the hop-ups with the package.
CV's are a must along with the heavy duty final gear sets and titanium turnbuckles if you dont have the 18SS version.
4WD over 2WD except on the flats any day.
How much they break all depends on how much and how hard you run them as well as how deep your pockets are.
The MT2 is fairly easy to work on as well. This trunk can be stripped naked in about 15 minutes with the right tools. Parts are readily available and it's fun and fast.
Make a choice and get RC'ing!!

...I already bought my car tuesday. I bought an Ofna 1/8 Ultra LX Comp...much better than the MT2. Thanks for bringing up an old topic.

Better late than never... Good luck with it.

Thanks for reviving this thread :)

As a new memeber to this forum with tons of questions, I find it's nice to find an exsisting thread to respond to for subjects I'm interrested in. I'm in the process of buying my first Nitro car and I really like the looks of the MT 2! The truck seems pretty versitile as well but I still got a few questions on it that I couldn't find on the above link.

1) Does this model come with a reverse?
2) Also does it come with disk brake(s)?

Thanks for your help
Ray

Last edited:
I do not think it has reverse...its for stupid heads anyhow. It does come with a single disc brake. It also has Roto-start, a push-button starting system.

SVORay,
1) No reverse
2) Yes, single disk
3) don't know

SpitFireV12RR... "stupid head"? Been hanging out with grand kids/nieces/nephews a bit much lately? ;)

I kind of like having reverse in my revo. I had it in my t-maxx 3 years ago, but it's transmission was really choppy with it. Unlike the revo, it's really smooth on take off. I'll leave it in until the little servo dies or gears get shredded. I never fealt like putting reverse in my savage... it just runs over whatever is in front of it :)

Well I'm not sure I can live with out reverse. I found a truck called the: Trinity Nitro Spyder 1/7 RTR 4WD Monster Truck that has reverse I may look into. If anyone knows anything good or bad about it I would appreciate knowing.

Heres a picture

Nitrotruck.gif

General info...

1/7 scale
4wd
Fully factory assembled
Ready to run, just add 12 ‘AA” batteries, (4 vehicle, 8 transmitter)
Pre painted and stickered racing truck body
Tuned “427 Monster Horsepower™” engine, 4.27cc, .256ci
Tuned exhaust system
Oversized fuel tank for longer run times
8 shock fully independent front and rear suspension engineered for maxi-mum travel and cornering speeds
2 Speed transmission with reverse
Adjustable shift point to track tune your horsepower
Metal gears in transmissions handle tons of power easily
Dual plate design makes a super stiff and strong chassis
Oversized wheel hubs keep rims from stripping
3 channel AM radio
6 Different changeable frequencies
Hi-torque servos

Thanks
Ray

Ray, What do you mean by revers??? Do you mean reverse? if so, the answer to this one is NO. The MT-2 does not have reverse even in it's newest incarnation of the MT2 18SS.
As far as disk brakes this gets a little tricky. It has a disk brake on the output of the slipper clutch (output shaft to the rear diff.) It does not have individual disk brakes for each wheel.
I'm not sure about any used ones in Texas but there's always E-bay.
Let us know if you need any other assistance, there's more than enough here willing to steer you in the right direction.

Masterskiman

SVORay said:
Thanks for reviving this thread :)

As a new memeber to this forum with tons of questions, I find it's nice to find an exsisting thread to respond to for subjects I'm interrested in. I'm in the process of buying my first Nitro car and I really like the looks of the MT 2! The truck seems pretty versitile as well but I still got a few questions on it that I couldn't find on the above link.

1) Does this model come with a revers?
2) Also does it come with disk brake(s)?
3) Anyone got a nice used one for sale in the Texas area :cheerful:

Thanks for your help
Ray

1. no reverse gear , if thats what your asking about. it's got a single forward gear.
2. Yes, it has a fiber disk brake.

edit* i didn't see all replies to this and i don't see how to delete my post, don't mean to be redundant.

Last edited: