HPI Nitro RS4 3 Drift & HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marts895

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
just a quick question does the HPI Nitro RS4 3 Drift have reverse function? what about the HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ does it also have reverse function? i've been researching these cars but even HPI doesn't say anything about it. can anyone help me coz i wanted to surprise my kid with either car as long as it has reverse function. a quick reply is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Sorry, no reverse on the on-road nitros. You can have reverse on the electric ones just by using a reversing ESC, but as far as I know, no one makes a reversing transmission for nitros.

one of the down sides of running a Nitro On-road. I know some traxxas off-road nitros have a reversing tranny but I doubt they would fit in the RS4.

Most nitro Monster Trucks have reverse functions. I know for a fact that Revo and Tmaxx and (I think) the Aftershock have reverse out of the box. The rest can be upgraded.

you can install a reverse module on the savage transmission, too

but I dont think anything will work for the RS4

thanks guys for your quick reply. i appreciate it. oh well, i guess it's not really that much of an importance for me. i do have a traxxas revo and it has reverse function. the reason why i asked this question is that when i went to towerhobbies they mentioned that the HPI Nitro RS4 3 Drift with toyota had reverse but they never mentioned that description on the nissan silva body. anyways just some more quick questions - the rs4 drift is for drifting (duh) since it's single speed. now - can i also drift the HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+? i just wanted the best of both worlds meaning a touring car and a drifting car. i know the evo+ you have adjustable 2 speed tranny. can i delay the 2nd gear so i can drift the car? i've heard that you might have the probability of burning the engine/tranny if you're running it on 1st gear all the time but i'm not just going to do drifting all the time. any help?

You can lock the second gear to keep it from engaging. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't go full blast in first gear for more than a second. All it does is rev the engine really high and if you've got a large spur gear it might over rev and throw the conrod.

if the evo+ has the 18ss you could be able to drift without to much trouble i guess....i was able to do some nice powerslides and donuts with my t-15 so with the .18 even if the 2nd gear comes in its goin to slide anyways i imagine..ill tell you this summer ..i just installed my 18 cv-rx in my evo3..

btw its not a direct drop-in as some might think...the shaft is 1mm longer so you need to make sure you take out all the lock thread from the pilot shaft...also need to trim the radio tray bracket that screws on the rear diff...just for everyone's knowledge

it's me again. thanks again guys for the useful inputs. i'm still thinking of what to get but i am gearing towards the HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+.

jack, you mentioned i could drift with no problem if it had the 18ss. now here's what i read at hpi - the evo+ has the T3.0 engine which is based on the potent G3.0 from the Firestorm 10T stadium racing truck. is this a powerful engine?

i really want to experience both worlds - touring and drifting. can anyone enlighten me with my dilemma. if i get the evo+ i was also thinking of purchasing drift tires. the differences i saw with the RS4 3 Drift & RS4 3 EVO+ are: 1. the engine on the DRIFT is far forward in the chassis as possible for more weight distribution to the front while the EVO+ is far more to the rear of the chassis, 2. the DRIFT is ONLY single speed trans the EVO+ is 2-speed. now if i really can drfit the EVO+ then i do have both worlds (touring & drifting). if i really get the EVO+ can i add some sort of weight in front to distribute more of the weight in the front or even it out with the rear? how do i add more weight to the front? i was thinking of adding to lead weight that you put in aluminum rims in real cars?

here's also one thing i've read about the DRIFT - The RTR Nitro RS4 3 Drift has many of the features found on our popular RTR Nitro RS4 3 Evo+. so these two are almost the same except for the tranny and weight distribution.

please help. i have 3 more days to purchase either of the two.

if your just looking to have some fun with both aspects get the RS4 3 non drift package. Throw some drifting tires on it and you'll be able to drift well enough with 2nd gear locked. You wont really need to worry about the weight distribution if your just messing around thats more for competition and pro's if your new to drifting you wont notice the weight balance.