Hpi firestorm control problems? Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwoodfos

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have an HPI firestorm,
It has a weird problem, when the cars engine is not on all the radio gear responds fine but when i start the cars engine the car does not respond to anyof the radio controls (Steering, brake, throttle).
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

did you check all the stupid things first? batteries?
do you have a failsafe?
on my tmaxx, putting the glow driver will trip my failsafe to full brake.... i usually have to turn the reciever off then back on to correct it...

Hi there first of all thanks for replying.
The weird thing is the controls work fine until you turn the engine on so i think the batteries are ok, could it be the vibrations of the engine trapping a wire? also i dont have a failsafe, I'm new to nitro rc cars to,
Thanks

well, if a wire is pinched or trapped somewhere, the radio wouldn't work anyways. a skinned wire would do that, creating a short while the vibrations of the engine chafe the wires more.
check all the connections/wires. look for worn spots in the "skin" of the wire. check dirty connections.

let me know how that works out...

HPI FIRESTORM problems

I have found out that when anything metal touches the carburettor (Petrol can, glowplug) it sends the car crazy.
?
Any ideas would be appreciated

you have to have a short somewhere. I know when i touch my firestorms engine with my car on the throttle servo twitches but its just something wierd that doesn't effect anything.

Hpi firestorm problems?

Hi there,
The car was working perfectley until suddenly i had no control of the car at all. And i noticed that anything metal touching the carburettor causes the car to go crazy. The controls work fine when the engine is not running. I dont want to start it up when i have no control over it. Is it a a fault that can be corrected simply ?.
Thanks for replying.

Any metal to metal contact on an AM radio equipped rc will glitch. It's just old technology. They should not even bother with AM radios anymore.