HPI Firestorm 10T Nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanksy246

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently acquired a HPI firestorm, I'm trying to get it running for my son. I'll have an intermittent fault onwhat I'm guessing to be the reciever? New batteries all round, switches okay, no damage to aerial, new crystals, both servos okay as tested in both channels.. the steering and acceleration work for approx 30-seconds then stops, not even had chance to test car yet

What kind of battery are you using? Is it a 4 cell AA holder? Those tend to be a bit fussy in nitro rigs with the vibration of the engine. Does it work when the truck isn't running?

You can try bypassing the switch too and go straight to the receiver from the battery pack just to rule out the switch or connection to the switch.

What kind of battery are you using? Is it a 4 cell AA holder? Those tend to be a bit fussy in nitro rigs with the vibration of the engine. Does it work when the truck isn't running?

You can try bypassing the switch too and go straight to the receiver from the battery pack just to rule out the switch or connection to the switch.

Thanks for your response, confirmed it's the old 4-cell battery holder, I've ordered a nitro rc battery, just awaiting delivery.. Again it only works for 20-30 seconds without engine running, so that rules out vibration.. yes could be a faulty ON/OFF switch so I will bypass last resort.. Could it be a intermittent fault on reciever unit? I've nearly spent 1/2 cost of RC Car trying to sort, wondering when to call it a day and buy new...

Well, you can snag an 2.4Ghz RTR transmitter/receiver off ebay pretty cheap. Might be a good route to take instead of fighting with an old AM/FM unit. Less antenna to break off on the remote and the receiver as well as better range/stability.

Def a red flag when you mentioned crystals! Bounce that old style radio system all together and get into the 2.4 systems. I have experience from back in the day running the old 75 meg radios when I was racing way back. They were functional but just barely even back then! You will be shocked at the advances avail because of the technology now. The range as well as the capabilities of the newer radios is truly mindblowing! Before you spend any more money or time on the old systems, do yourself a favor and do the research! Pricing is reasonable for entry level radios and for a unit capable of expansion down the road (extra channels for a nitro with reverse, telemetry etc) they are still in most folks price ranges. The great thing about buying a radio system like this is you only have to buy one radio to control many kits.
As far as repairing what you have currently (if that's what the budget allows for now) certainly the receiver battery pack was a wise investment! Replace the on/off switch as well! They are a source of failure for sure and it sounding like an older unit. Its likely due. There are new switches available which also have voltage indicators etc. Again, spending a little time researching will bring your car up to date without breaking the bank AND getting you some of the reliability back.
Be sure to inspect the antenna lead for ANY signs of breakage in the insulation. That was a huge source of interference as well back in the day. Good luck!!!

if you shop ebay look for a flysky FT3B .30-40 brand new. they are better then the 4 model because of longer range and if you have a lipo charger you can get a 2s lipo pack to run the nitro 10T on ... be sure to set the fail safe on the new receiver after installing it.( to set it up turn on the tx (transmitter) and power up the rc .. now observe the throttle servo it should be center now turn off the tx the servo should go to full brake. if it stays center or goes full throttle use a tooth pic to push the button in the hole on the RX (receiver) and try again until you get the desired result
. also to save some aggravation. hobby king sells a 1.5v glow plug bec (for aprox 20.00) .. this device will eliminate the need for a hand held glow ignitor and run off the 10T's rx battery and automatically ignite the glow plug when you let off the controller. having the glow plug lit when at idle makes the nitro stay running allot better .
starting the 10T cold will require a small amount of throttle and the glow plug lit with a ignitor .. before ignition put your finger over the muffler stinger hole and pull the cord a few times to prime the motor with fuel .. engauge the igniter and pull while giving a small amount of throttle with the controller .. leave the ignitor on for 30 seconds or so while you warm up the motor then remove it and let her rip

flysky FT3B https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flysky-FS-...347815&hash=item4b3decbf78:g:QZwAAOSwc6pZ6x1c
onboard glow ignitor https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-on-board-glowdriver-v2.html
2s rx battery https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-500mah-2s-20c-lipo-pack.html
rx bec ( this will keep the full charged 2s battery from over volting the rx 6.0 volts is great is rx swafe and makes the servos a bit quicker and stronger ... there is a jumper that changes it from the 5volt setting to the 6v and is prewires to plug into the battery i listed and to the rx https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt-ubec-5-6v-output-5-5-23v-input.html

Back