HPI exchange program

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4u2nv

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have heard about this and thought Id look into it, so what I could find in exchange for the Hpi 15fe that was in my Rs4 was

1600 Nitro Star 15SS $99.00
1601 Nitro Star 15SS Precut for RC10GT $99.00
1605 Nitro Star 15 $75.00
1606 Nitro Star 15 Precut for RC10GT $75.00
1610 Nitro Star 15SC $99.00
1615 Nitro Star 15FE $55.00
1623 Nitro Star 12R SC $99.00
1626 Nitro Star 12R SS $99.00

Now I just dont know which one would be the best to get. I'm pretty unfamilar with all of these, witht he exception of the nitro star 15 I had in my Rc10gt. Anyone know the difference between the 12r Sc and the 12R ss?? I'm thinking its between them two unless horror stories come out about them. What would you guys suggest? (Again I hate these threads as much as the next guy, but I couldnt help it. I'm lost..lol. )

Also I saw you have to remove the clutch bell, the shoes and the airfilter.. What about the pullstart?Does that stay or go? I dont care if it goes with (Since I wouldnt have a use for it), I just dont want to screw something up. Thanks again fellas!

Yea you can get a O.S. .18CV-RX for 100$ on Tower and it will kick the crap out of any of HPI's small blocks.

The .12R SC is the non pullstart of the .12R SS I believe., I had the .12R SS in my Nitro RS4 3 Type SS and I absolutely hated the piece. I suspect it was because it was my first engine but the thing never gave any torque at all. It was a beeotch to start too. It had some damn good highend but the lowend sucked balls. I droped a XTM .18 in my car and then it hauled ass, those are around 90$ I think and they are rear exhaust. Go with the O.S., trust me.

Last edited:
Does the exchange program allow you to keep exchanging for a new motor each time the old one wears out like the Traxxas program? If so, then it is a great deal. As to the 21SS, I love this motor. Mine starts in one or two pulls and although is does lack some bottom end, it is ROAR legal and also gets better with a pipe upgrade.

AC48 said:
Yea you can get a O.S. .18CV-RX for 100$ on Tower and it will kick the crap out of any of HPI's small blocks.

The .12R SC is the non pullstart of the .12R SS I believe., I had the .12R SS in my Nitro RS4 3 Type SS and I absolutely hated the piece. I suspect it was because it was my first engine but the thing never gave any torque at all. It was a beeotch to start too. It had some damn good highend but the lowend sucked balls. I droped a XTM .18 in my car and then it hauled ass, those are around 90$ I think and they are rear exhaust. Go with the O.S., trust me.
Really? I had the 12Rss the rotary version and it hauled ass for me. I at first didn't like it but it served its purpose. I moved on the Mugen line. I am considering the OS 18tz myself. That engine seems like it will blow all the ither mills away.

Yea mine blew, I really think it was because it was my first engine and I really didn't know what I was doing. Even after I learned how to tune I couldn't get the damn thing to get any torque at all. The high end was good once it got up to speed, I suggest and O.S. or jsut something not HPI, other than the .12R XS, but thats non pull.

Yeah I think Ill go the O.s. route. I didnt relize they were that cheap. Thanks for the help!