HPI Engine or Drive train problems?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demoilsf

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have an HPI rs4 3 with a newly installed 2 speed transmission. the engine has been through about 8-9 tanks of gas roughly half a gallon or so. the problem I'm having is that the car doesn't start to move until the throttle is opened about 1/4-1/2 way. once the car gets moving it performs much better but its like i have no acceleration. i desperatly need help in tuning this the right way. i have the stock .15fe engine and the 2 speed installed. thank for any help

Sounds like your clutch needs work. First, check the clutch for massive wear, and make sure the clutch is set correctly. I've seen 2 speeds that won't go anywhere just because of a bad clutch setup. :)

If the two speed came with a manual, make sure you set the clutch up like it says. I read somewhere that HPI made a 2 shoe? clutch just for thier RS4 models with 2 speed kits... Never know, hope it helps. :)

i agree with AOD - what u have described seems like a classic example of worn clutch shoes. check the shoes in the clutch bell first, and if the are okay, then check the shoes in the 2speed as well.

Will check it out

I will definatly give the clutch a once over as soon as i can. i thought there might have been something wrong with it but dont know enough about it to tell. thankz

do u know what to look for when u remove it?>

did you use the black (hard spring) instead of the silver (soft spring)? I did the same install of the 2-speed and if you use the black (hard spring) with the stock .15FE NitroStar engine you will experience what you are describing. Put the silver spring in and you should be good to go!

go here
http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/86038n3_2sp/I-86038-2 P2_A4.jpg

silver spring is on the left as part number 86050a and the black spring is part number 86050b
It explains which spring to use for which application in the top middle of that document.

damn - way to come through in a pinch, humboldt!

oh lord- i just figured out your screen name! LMAO

:shhh:

Humbolt brought up a great point, make sure you used the correct spring. But it very well could be a clutch problem. When I installed the two speed in my RS4 3 I also replaced the clutch with an mip clutch, my stock clutches were already fairly well worn at this point anyway. Good luck with it, let us know what you find.

yeah I agree only check my answer when you make sure your clutch is ok and installed correctly because that is the first part of the engagement process.

Originally posted by nitronewbie

oh lord- i just figured out your screen name! LMAO

:shhh:

It hit you like a handgrenade huh?:mex:

ur smile is just perfect.....lol

do you have the stock or racing clutch by HPI?

It really sounds like your stuck in 2nd gear though just a gut feeling.

Hum- i tried every thing you said. i took apart the transmission an made sure i had the silver spring installed. i made sure every thing was in working order and well lubricated. after i put everything back the car had alot less resitence when pushed but when i started it it still had no acceleration. i have the regular clutch installed. i think it might be the way i have spring tightened, I'm not sure how tight or loose it should be for a good transition of the gears. HELP please. i need my acceleration. thankz

if I'm stuck in 2nd gear how do i change that?

even being stuck in second gear - the car would still accelerate fairly well - would not be a HUGE difference. Did u check the clutch bell on the crankshaft of the engine - make sure it is not engaging too early?

even being stuck in second gear - the car would still accelerate fairly well - would not be a HUGE difference. Did u check the clutch bell on the crankshaft of the engine - make sure it is not engaging too early? u adjust 2 speed tranny's by loosing or tightening the angled screws int the tranny bell housing. loosing = early shift tightening = later shift

Originally posted by Demoilsf
i made sure every thing was in working order and well lubricated.

What is lubricated? There should be no lube in the transmission or clutch. :confused:

Which way is your clutch installed? Leading edge or trailing?

i didnt mean lubricated, what i meant was that all the ball bearings were working properly.

well just in case anyone wanted to know, i finally figuered out what was wrong woth my car. after taking apart the clutch and 2 speed transmission i found that there was nothing wrong with it. in fact i had a problem with my carb. that was giving me the problem with acceleration. after replacing the carb and tweakin the needle a little the problem went away and now my car accelerates fine. thankz again guys.

congrats - now go out and wear down some pavement!

Yeah I was way off shhesh:loser:

Back