HPI Discontinued the Savage SS ???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting.....they could be replacing it with the Special Edition kit that does not come with the engine or pipe.

Ya i saw the Special Edition kit in the latest rccaraction mag. I think their replacing the original the new special edition kit.

Well that blows. I was hoping to get an SS for next summer. I have already seen the new SE listed. It's like $269 w/o engine or pipe. The SS is listed for $299 with the .25 engine. I can see why some would want to buy without the engine so they could pick whichever they wanted. But I still can see a lot of people who would like a kit with engine included (me)...

whew..I'm glad i bought mine when i did

I tried to place my "SS" order last night on Tower and it said they were out of stock, along with several other items. After a weeks worth of research and thinking I had about everything I needed in accessories, I'm now left with picking an engine if I was to go with a SE.....and the price keeps getting higher and higher and higher.

As it sits now, I was pushing $700 with a SS so the popular brand X is looking that much more appealing. It's kinda late in the game and i'm starting to second guess the Savage.....someone stear me right. Go with the SE or popular brand X?

I would stay with the Savage no matter what. Look around more and you might find a SS kit. Check ebay and the other online stores or visit your LHS

Not for nothin' but if the SS is 299 and the SE is 269, the SE better be come with some other hop ups as a $30 savings is not enough to cover the S25 and the pipe it comes with. I just hope HPI wises up and puts in some more hop ups.

My thoughts exactly. If they just repackage the SS w/o the engine, that's insane. Because it will cost at least an extra $120 or so to put a modest engine in there. That would make it almost $400 without radio. You're better off buying an RTR then putting the radio up for sale on ebay just to defray the costs. So far there's no explanation on the HPI site. I'm hoping what they're doing makes sense.

They may be including the 4 sider gear mod, the new steering unit, and even some universals to offset the price without the engine. That would be nice! I'd likce to get a second Savage this year.

They are replacing it with the special edition kit I had emailed them when I saw that.

I just pillaged Savage-Central and RCU and the info I got from there is that they are going to offer the SS kit with the .28 engine in a couple months. Still no confirmation on the HPI site, but that's the general rumor. Best I can tell, info is slated to appear on the HPI site in a couple weeks. That's cool with me. I can wait until spring. As long as it's comparably priced...

They are definitely coming out with a Savage SS .28 kit. It will have a .28 4.6cc 8-port motor, Dirt Bonz tires, different wheels, dual disc brakes, 4 gear diffs, upgraded steering servo saver, some transmission changes, and more. They are going to offer an engine exchange program like they did when they first came out with the .25

This will be a more expensive kit than the current Savage SS.

So pretty much every mod that the current savage 25 or ss needs?

Kudos to HPI, they are really stepping up their "SS" kits. The RS4 SS has also been upgraded to include the 18ss motor and more.

It is true and has been confirmed by a known HPI employee.
Check it out here : http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic32240.html

If you don't want to follow the link here are the details:

The new Savage SS 4.6 (2Cool is due to be released at the end of January.

It will be more expensive then the current Savage SS 25, but well worth it.
Kit number will be 871, list price of $779.00 (The current Savage 25 RTR has a list price of $799.00. This kit will have these features:

- 8 port 4.6cc motor (Current 25 motor is 4.1cc)
- Motor has a pull start
- Three Needle Motor (High, Mid, Low)
- Dirt Bonz Tires
- 8 Spoke Rims (Chrome)
- Cam Servo Saver
- Dual Disk Brakes
- 4 Bevel Gear Diffs
- HD cup joints
- HD Dogbones
- Dual Stage Airfilter
- 3-shoe Clutch
- Adjustable Arms
- Clear GT1 body

Other minor updates are included.

It does not include the new 3 speed tranny.
All the parts that are on the new 4.6 SS kit will fit the 25 SS kit.
The 25 SS kit has not been discontinued as of right now.
The 4.6 motor will become apart of the current HPI engine exchange program in the next few months. No word on the cost of the upgrade. As of today the 4.6 motors themselves have not been received at HPI.

I certainly like the sound of it. Seems to have sewn up the weaknesses I've heard about with the present kits. I'm just hoping the actual cost isn't too outrageous...