HPI Baja 5B tires, grass/pavement use

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking for some decent tires that will give ok grip in the grass, but will hold up better on pavement. A lot of the places I run, I have parking lots to tune/warm up in or I'm jumping on/off of pavement into grass. I would really like to find a set of rear tires that can give me good wear on pavement, but also ok bite in the lawn.

Not looking for racing or aggressive dirt tires as those will just get chewed up and also tear up lawns. I'm ok with some wheel spin on grass, but not so much that it's like driving on ice.

I had noticed some on ebay that look like a decent tread pattern, but I have no idea if they will fit on a 5B for sure:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingmotor-All-T...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f7eb38d8

Ebay #: 300512131288

$100 is a lot of dough to guess with...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-Buggy-5-Spo...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41575ee9a8
Ebay #: 280638712232
Not really looking forward to deal with shipping from hong kong again...

These look promising as well, but kind of contradict what wheels they fit on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Pro-Line-Ex...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adef888cb
Ebay #: 390287886539

Guess I could just buy them assembled:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...o-Line-Excavator-Tire-on-Black-Deperado-Wheel

Came across these as well, imex: http://www.imexrc.com/servlet/the-1544/IMEX-1-fdsh-5-REAR-K/Detail

Last edited:
Geez... I don't know why I didn't go look at those stores, like where I bought the stupid buggy! lol

They have those tires I was looking at from ebay, but hostile instead of "buy from china".

Thanks!

So I'm kind of in the same boat. The excavators look nice, but look like they'll wear fast on pavement, any input on that rob? I was looking at the tarmacs, anybody tried those?

Excavators will wear on pavement obviously, but not near as fast as the the stock tires. They will give you decent traction on pavement and also on grass/dirt.

Hostile MX Nightmares in hard give outstanding traction on grass/dirt and will also have good wear on pavement. The trade off is that you don't have the traction on pavement due to the design and compound of the tire.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.3414/.f

Hey thanks for all the info rob. I'm definitely going to get the nightmares for off road since they suit the terrain here. May just wait, and get a second set of tires n wheels for dedicated street tires. But first things first, gotta get a killer bee put on it.

Is it possible to have two sets?
1 set for your normal track driving (offroad I'm guessing) and 1 set for warm ups on pavement?

Of course it's possible. All it takes is $$.

Olds - either tire, desperado or Hostiles are solid choices if you manage the throttle while warming up on pavement. i learned the hard way and burn up a set of Hostile Mx's and desperados in about 4 tanks by having a heavy finger when running in a parking lot.

if you are going to do a lot of parking running look for Tarmac busters in the sale sections. its 50 bucks on them now, or 50 bucks every few tanks on the othes.

just my .02

The hostiles ATs are a good choice. They are like a jack of all trades but master of none. They take a little "break in" and will grip better. I run MXs for off road and slicks on road. You can go wrong with his stuff.

Do stay away from the ebay knockoffs. They are a direct copy and made with a much lower quality material

I ended up going with these:
http://www.largescalerc.com/rc4wd-rearruffridertires.aspx

$50 for tires AND foams! I ended up using a new set of HPI rings/rims as well. I ran them for the first time today and they seem to do really well on grass. A bit more squirrelly at high speeds and when turning hard, but otherwise good forward bite. I ran them on pavement for a while too and there isn't any noticeable wear at all. Ran a full tank through it today, which is about 1 hours worth of wheel time.

They are a few mm taller and narrower than stock 5B tires, but seemed to fit ok otherwise.

Installed:
2011-0317-Baja-RC4WDRuffRiderTires-LeftSideRear.jpg

Comparison:
2011-0317-Baja-RC4WDRuffRiderTires-Comparison.jpg

Left to right:
RC4WD Ruff Rider Baja Rear
1st Gen savage stock
Revo talons
RC4WD Ruff Rider Baja Rear
HPI Stock Baja 5B rear

i never really looked at the RC2WD tires but after seeing them installed - i like 'em. good find and the price is just right. keep us posted on how they wear. how much wheel time do you have on the baja now?

4 hours/4 tanks total. Stock tires have 3 tanks, most of which was on grass. Took some nasty tumbles yesterday with it jumping a drainage ditch berm, but nothing broken or bent that I can find.

Sailing a baja over a 6 foot berm is awesome!

4 hours/4 tanks total. Stock tires have 3 tanks, most of which was on grass. Took some nasty tumbles yesterday with it jumping a drainage ditch berm, but nothing broken or bent that I can find.

Sailing a baja over a 6 foot berm is awesome!

Ain't it though? I will hardly even go anywhere else to play but the soccer fields now because of that. Tires look great on there Olds.

Also, I was shocked at how flimsy the stock tires were when I took them off, no wonder they wear so fast.

Well, 3 full tanks of running and the wear seems to be pretty good. Been mostly on grass/dirt, but more pavement running than I did with stock. They are a bit squirrelly at high speed and will break loose completely on a full throttle launch on pavement. But they land jumps a bit softer and in general, forward bite is pretty good for grass running.
2011-0402-BajaRc4wdTires3Hours-SideAngle.jpg

2011-0402-BajaRc4wdTires3Hours-Straight.jpg

4 hours:
2011-0409-BajaRc4wdTires4Hours-foamsJunked.jpg

Thought it was acting a little odd when I started out today. But I ran it anyway for a tank. As I was finishing out the tank, I was driving it by me pretty slowly on pavement and I noticed one of the tires seemed to have a flat spot. Got home, cleaned the rims to get the gunk off (muddy out today), and took both rear tires apart to find this in both of them. The foams that came with them completely junked out.

I just ordered a set of pro-line foams off ebay. I hope they last a bit longer.

The tires themselves are holding up really well though. Ran for about 30 minutes on/off concrete in a skatepark... baja is not built for a skatepark! lol Ended my day jumping berms around a practice football field. Will have to go back there as it was a good place to run.

Wow that's ate up! I did the ductape mod on my foams and they seem to be holding up alright. I think I just found a better reason for the mod though!

Holy crap, that's crazy olds. Is that 4 hours total on the foams? If the Pro Lines don't work out, I've heard good things about the Hostile foams. Hmmmmm, need to check mine and see how the duct tape is holding up. I was gonna get out today, but spent the day scrubbing in a new set of tires on the bike instead.