How tp build a bump box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballen

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Does anybody know ,i need help , i don't have a clue but i need one well 2 or one that will work on two:whhooo:

I don't know how to build one, but I do know how to buy one :D.

If you're asking how to assemble it, you have to follow the instructions.

You can probably try to do something with a wheel attached to a drill and try to get something to work using a shoe box.

ya i could by one too ,if i could get donations.make checks payble to poor old bastard

I think it would be quite easy to build once you buy the components needed.

thats what i need to know .box is easy ,i can make it out of lexon.i need to know what it takes inside.and how to wire it up.

I think some type of electric motor, with a rubber wheel that fits the flywheel. I think it would depend on the model how you set it up. Or you could be really fancy and use a pullstart nitro engine with a rubber wheel attatched to the main shaft or flywheel to turn the flywheel of the actual car. I think its totally up to you. I think most people either buy them, have pull or ez or roto start. Tiger drive is another option. Not sure if too many people have ever built one, so I think you're on your own. If you do decide to try it, make a thread and let us know how you're doing and if it works.

If lexan won't bend on you when you push down on your car, I guess it'll do fine. I think it's best to use something like a metal box from Home Depot. Also, what you'll need are two 540 size electric motors with lots of torque while being able to spin the flywheel fast enough (So speed and torque is required), a way to mount them, and a wheel. Basically, you want the two motors to spin the wheel by using belts on the wheel. Cut a triangular hole in the box and make sure the wheel will stick out of it. After everything is mounted, you'll need a push down switch. This will enable the motors to run. So once you have that, it's fairly simple to do the wiring. From the positive side of the switch, go to the negative side of the motor 1. From the positive side of motor one, go to negative side of motor 2. From the positive side of motor 2, go to where you will plug in your battery packs/gel battery. From there, you wire up everything.

2ewh443.jpg

BTW: I forgot to draw the wheel, but I guess you know the motors are mounted to it.

Edit2; K fixed it :D.

Last edited:
theres one major error in your pic, coby.

the motors are supposed to be wired in parallel and not in series (ie: the motors' + must match switch + and motors' - match battery -

in your case, one motor will be spinning far slower than the other, only causing problems. even then, i think one motor is more than enough. but everything else is aok.

i made a kinda 3/4 ass box myself.

i designed it just for my rig, cos, i believe it works better. make the top cover larger than your car, cut to your chassis shape, and cut the area under the flywheel. mount a starter motor there, and make the rubber wheel protrude just above the box, so the car sits on the rubber wheel. although you can't rest your car on the box, its not really that important - who runs their rigs in mid air:)? this way you are going to cause far less wear on the rubber wheel, and plus there is next to no maintenance cos there no moving parts expt for the motor.

without trying to sound like a jerk, if you can't get your head around designing a starter box, i guess theres no real purpose in actually starting to make it. because you almost always will run into problems, and they will do your head in. i know from experience :p:

Yeah, I'm pretty bad at doing that. Anyways, I just say slap on a pull-start!

Saw some legit bump starters today, wow beats the heck out of a pull start ;)

A quick Ebay search shows a company called Venom selling all the parts of a bump box for very cheap. The motor is the most expensive at $13. Search nitro starter box. I don't know about the quality of cheap ebay bump boxes, but if you bought all the parts seperately it looks like it would cost you about the same as a pre-made cheap box.

A quick Ebay search shows a company called Venom selling all the parts of a bump box for very cheap. The motor is the most expensive at $13. Search nitro starter box. I don't know about the quality of cheap ebay bump boxes, but if you bought all the parts seperately it looks like it would cost you about the same as a pre-made cheap box.

Everyone has a cordless drill. Everyone can go to your local auto parts store and in the body work section there is an attachment that you stick sandpaper to. It's made of rubber and pretty big. That should do.