How to properly charge a lipo battery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madness RC

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Now I know some of you people complain that your LiPO batteries don't last as long as they should.

And there is only one thing that is overlooked that is the apps that you put into your charging.

Charge half of the full amperage never charge a full capacity.

If you charge the full capacity all the time and every time your battery is going to burn out.

If you have 3000 milliamps

Then you should charge half of that it puts less pressure on the electrons and on the cells themselves.

I remember one time using six months worth of the same battery and never had no issues. That was before I sold it was something I've sold.

So 3000 divided by 2 equals 1500.

2000 milliamps what's 8 / 2 is just 1,000.

Now if you have a 5000 milliamp battery.

You'll have 250 the charge.

I learned it from an eBay seller and it was the most valuable information. I don't know nothing about amperage or volts but I know that every time I charge my batteries are charged half of the capacity of the amps.

Tell me what you think of this article if you like it don't. Let me know.

I always charge at 1C. Batteries today are generally designed to handle 1-5C, but the higher you go, the harder it is on your battery. Technically, charging at .5C like you are saying is probably a bit easier on your battery, but would take forever to charge them.

I always charge at 1C. Batteries today are generally designed to handle 1-5C, but the higher you go, the harder it is on your battery. Technically, charging at .5C like you are saying is probably a bit easier on your battery, but would take forever to charge them.
My first-ever lipo forever bought I paid $13. It was used labor was off somehow I was able to find out the brand and it was a good brand name.

The person sold to me he didn't think that it was working and then when I charged it and ask him questions about how you charge LiPO batteries that's what he told me what to do and not to do as far as amps.

This battery based on the year and I don't know don't it's older than how to say 2013 and I had it for a year in 2018 or 19. And though the battery was in bad shape as far as broken I taped it up never had no issues.

The only thing I don't like about the charger is the courts on long enough when you put these things in a bag so if something goes on fire unfortunately your charging light beating along with it. These scores are short.

My original charger broke and usually I charge my glow igniter my receiver battery 4 my Nitro stuff. I'm not much of an electric person but what low experience I know. It saved a lot of aggravation.

I'll even know what you mean by 5c or 1 C.

That's how much I don't know about Electric. The all I knew was he was gently telling me how to charge a battery where you can be a lot easier with it without it burning out on you.

Thank you for your compliment.

1C for a 5000mAh battery would be 5A. A 2C would be 10A. 5C would be 25A.

I've got LiPos that are 10 years old that still work and I charge all my stuff at 1C. Granted they dont have quite the same punch as they used to but they still work all the same. Charging at 1/2C may technically be easier on them and I've never tested it directly but Id be willing to bet there isnt a lot of difference between 1/2C and 1C charging. What difference there is is outweighed by doubling the amoutn of time I have to wait for my lipos to charge, at least imo.

Last edited:
I use the Traxxas EZ Peak Live High Output Dual w/Bluetooth app for my 5000 2C and 6700 3C batteries. Right now I’m putting one set into storage charge (see pic).

Will see how well this setup works over time, but so far I’m content with the automatic technology and the ease of monitoring via my phone app.

Attachments

• FBB479D7-E8E0-4423-8186-29DFAC0C4690.jpeg
    FBB479D7-E8E0-4423-8186-29DFAC0C4690.jpeg
    303.9 KB · Views: 37
the 1st post is way out there.
I've always charged at 1c never less. I also have 10+ year old lipos that I still run once a week with no loss of power or other issue.Had 1 lipo burn up. it was installed in a mini a 3 cell 50c battery.. had a 9000kv with a helicopter 75 amp esc.. that every now n then the rx would lose bind(it was a speculum lol) my thought bind time was not that of esc open at full tilt..7 seconds into battery went into thermal and herd that dreaded hiss then the smoke show followed by 15 seconds of flame throwing..
1C charge is OK no harm will follow
always know the lipo ir per cell.keep a record
store at storage voltage between 3.6- 3.8 volts a cell
charged many batts at 2c or even 5 C b4 with no issue 5000mah that 10 amps-25 amps.
never heat up a lipo..

The amount of time to charge your lipos at .5c would take forever. They are made to take alot more I'm sure. The 1c is the safest best way to charge you lipo. I've never even heard or thought of charging at a lesser amp..that's why every where you look or read it's always 1c charge rate. Sure you could but as said above the difference between .5c and 1.c isn't that much to really tell a difference in the battery life out out put over time....

The amount of time to charge your lipos at .5c would take forever. They are made to take alot more I'm sure. The 1c is the safest best way to charge you lipo. I've never even heard or thought of charging at a lesser amp..that's why every where you look or read it's always 1c charge rate. Sure you could but as said above the difference between .5c and 1.c isn't that much to really tell a difference in the battery life out out put over time....
Almost sounds like he's saying to charge them to half capacity, not the rate.

I've read that charging a pack to 90% capacity and not running clear down to 3.2V per cell will extend their lives. So for example, having your charger cut off at 4.0V vs 4.2V and LVC set to 3.6V will extend the life/cycles you can charge/discharge. Also, sticking with 1C or less charge rate avoids them degrading as well.

I charge mine at 1.5C usually to 4.2V and have my LVC's shut off around 3.5V. Most of my packs last a few years, then start taking longer to charge than I'd like and running less time that I'd like, then I get rid of them. Just depends on the pack... would probably be different if I bought top $ packs to begin with, but I don't.

I pretty much always charge at 1C to 4.2V/C and set LVC to 3.2V/C. That being said my LiPos dont get near the amount of cycles per year that a lot of people probably put on theirs. I spend more time building, upgrading, and playing with electronics than I do actually running the kits. I probably get in maybe 1-2 dozen runs a month. Sometimes maybe not even that.

Sometimes the packs only last a couple years, some packs I have now are 10 years old. That being said the 10 year old packs dont have the punch and I suspect the capacity they use to but work perfectly fine. You can feel the performance diffewrence between those and new packs though and you can tell the run time is a little less too. To each their own though, I'm not saying mine is the best way, but it works for me.

Almost sounds like he's saying to charge them to half capacity, not the rate.

I've read that charging a pack to 90% capacity and not running clear down to 3.2V per cell will extend their lives. So for example, having your charger cut off at 4.0V vs 4.2V and LVC set to 3.6V will extend the life/cycles you can charge/discharge. Also, sticking with 1C or less charge rate avoids them degrading as well.

I charge mine at 1.5C usually to 4.2V and have my LVC's shut off around 3.5V. Most of my packs last a few years, then start taking longer to charge than I'd like and running less time that I'd like, then I get rid of them. Just depends on the pack... would probably be different if I bought top $ packs to begin with, but I don't.
FROM ABOVE:::
"So 3000 divided by 2 equals 1500."

He means charge a 3000mah at 1.5amps..🤔🤨

yeah NO. he meant charge them at half the charge rate not half capacity... which I don't understand that at all.
If you charge them less and slower. It would be somewhat beneficial for the lipo. They also say that about your cellphone lipo not to charge to 100%. But also say let it die a couple times a month. To refresh it..
I have my LVC at 3.4 3.5 I forget.As long as we don't drop below 3 we are good. I always charge a 1C. Maybe a amp below the 1C. So 6000mah I will charge at 5amp. Not the full 6. But I've never thought to charge at half the charge rate. Or less then what is suggested. The one amp lower really doesn't help the lipo that much...

Back