How to make a very fast nitro rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakeaunders

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am getting into nitro rc's. I have a traxxas revo 3.3 which is loads of fun but I am trying to get into larger scales and drag racing. So I was wondering if it is cheaper to build your own drag car or larger scale rc or to just buy a complete one. What is the fastes speed I can get out of either one of those? Thanks

As far as speed, going really fast usually cost a lot of money. How fast do you want to go and how much are you willing to spend…

It is generally cheaper to purchase one unless you have a lot of parts to experiment with and have the experience/knowledge to not order a bunch of parts that do not work with what you are building.

I'm not sure how fast I want to go. If I end up building a larger scale rc then maybe around 80 mph but idk how fast rc dragsters go so anything fast would be nice.

the bigger they are, the harder they fall. The faster they are, the more expensive the crash. why get a dragster when you can get a stadium truck that goes offroad and fast on road? And why are you looking to go sooo fast when your just getting in the hobby?

If you really want speed Brushless is the way to go. not nitro. and if you want an idea on cost ask greywolf about his expenditures on his 100mph rustler. Thats a 1/10th scale. the bigger the scale the higher the cost. Another thing to consider is how much running room you have. its takes alot of space to brake at 100mph. there are many consideration when it comes to flat out speed. I know my LHS has been ranting and raving about the new traxxas dragsters. but I have yet to see any run.

If you really want speed Brushless is the way to go. not nitro. and if you want an idea on cost ask greywolf about his expenditures on his 100mph rustler. Thats a 1/10th scale. the bigger the scale the higher the cost. Another thing to consider is how much running room you have. its takes alot of space to brake at 100mph. there are many consideration when it comes to flat out speed. I know my LHS has been ranting and raving about the new traxxas dragsters. but I have yet to see any run.

Not only braking from 100 mph, but breaking 100 mph as well!

I have an off road truck that I love that goes pretty fast already. I want a street car specifically for speed. I don't want to make my truck go faster because I would think that since its higher off the ground, the less stable it would be at higher speeds. Am I wrong? I have a Revo 3.3, should I just mod that to go fast or should I build a new one for speed and leave the revo alone?

First off you have to mod the ever loving crap out of a kit to make it do 80+MPH. My Rusty was about $350 + Another 300 or so for electronics. The only thing stock still on the Rusty is the chassis which has also been heavily modded. Id say between all the RPM parts, the weights, the after market transmission, 17mm wheel adapters, Ipanema Wheels and Tires all the way around, The Traxxas big bores, the Dynamite aluminum bulkhead, the Aftermarket servo, the gyro, velco, Hot Racing Wheelie Bar, Wide mod done to the front to improve stability, Garmin GPS, and all the other misc pieces I've needed to mod it Id say I've got another $400 or so. So before even running it I've got about $1050 or so wrapped up in a Rustler and before you say you could have bought an XO-1 well, thats just not really very challenging to me so I have a Rusty worth as much as an XO-1 lol. I have wrecked and rebuild my 100+ MPH Rustler about 11 times now. Every time I wreck it costs me anywhere from $30-$180 bucks. If you average out the cost of repairs it averages out to about $105 per wreck X 11 wrecks is another $1155 I've put into the car repairing it. So I have a total of about $2205 o_O Run away from the light!!! lol I still havent broken 100MPH yet either but i know it can be done so I wont stop until I do. lol I think my best speed so far was 85.3MPH. Unfortunately its getting cold here in Ohio so it may be next year before I can pursue it again.

Damn, that sounds sick but I don't think I want to invest THAT much into it lol. Mine right now goes the stock speed which I believe is 45+. What should I do to it to break 65? And also how can I make it more stable at those speeds?

If I were you, I would just buy a dedicated on road car and start from there. You can find lots of on roads for a decent price that can be made to go 70-80 mph rather easily with a good engine.

You would have to sink a lot of coin in a revo to get close to 70mph.

I built this from scratch, you don’t even want to know how much is invested in it…

DSC07905.gif

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

To run an existing Nitro RTR truck at high speed, a lot of parts would have to added or fabricated. The gearing would have to be extremely high and you would need a lot of space to get up to speed. You would also need a very minimal ground clearance, so a large, smooth space is needed to run. You will also need a lot of down force so that entails a good wing and body design as well as maybe under car ducting as seen in Indy and F1 cars.

That is a great looking rig, @Snook Man. I can tell that you put a lot effort and cash into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an off road truck that I love that goes pretty fast already. I want a street car specifically for speed. I don't want to make my truck go faster because I would think that since its higher off the ground, the less stable it would be at higher speeds. Am I wrong? I have a Revo 3.3, should I just mod that to go fast or should I build a new one for speed and leave the revo alone?

why the hell you you want a Revo to go over 40 mph? its to high off the ground and not made for on road driving and speed. If you take a turn at above 40 mph in a revo it would probably roll and flip. You could lower your revo down to the ground, but even then a nitro on road would drive circles around it.

So I guess I'll just buy an on road car and keep the revo as an off road. What car do you suggest? I'm looking at the nitro 4-tec

Again, how fast do you want to go? Lol but it sounds like a 4-tec would suit you perfectly. If it isnt fast enough then there are many options to make it do over 85-90 mph ex. Big block power! (recommend o.s. engine.) and simply 4 new shoes for the car to achieve those speeds!

Traction Would Be Nice!!!

If your not experianced at fast nitro, the 4tec is NOT for you. I have had one and it was the most uncontrolable rig I have ever drove and I have experiance. Absolute balls to the walls fast. I hated the 4tec for the reason of the belt driven 4wd, rocks and road debris would catch between the drive gear and belt haulting ALL 4 and just crashing at high speeds. Oh and changing the belts is a f'n joke. Keep searching, but I think something else would suit you better.

The Jato is a decent speed rig, another plus is the fact that you can change tires, raise the suspension and go bashing in the dirt.

The Jato is a decent speed rig, another plus is the fact that you can change tires, raise the suspension and go bashing in the dirt.

x2, I run the Jato and man she is way better in the handeling dept than the 4tec. If you run stock arms you can buy the F/R swaybar kit and go that route. I would much rather have 100 Jatos than 1 4tec.