how to install bearings into new crankcase ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok my LHS called me today to tell me they have my crankcase

so my question is could i install the bearings the same way as they are removed by heating up the crank case to 200c and dropping them in as i dont have any special tools to install them

also my broken AR .28 crankcase has bearings in it that are virtually brand new saw 2 tanks before the previous owner overheated the engine and put a hole in the side of it

would i be ok to remove those bearings and put them in the new crankcase

heating the case and freezing the bearings should do the job ;)...you might also have to tap them in a bit with a piece of wood .

Last edited:
I use a socket to tap them in. Find teh right size to match the bearing.

If you heat that old case up the bearing should almost fall out.

If theyre stock bearings, you can prolly get a new set for less than $20. May just want to go new.

Imo go with a good set of ceramic bearings in the new crank case. Try Boca Bearings.

I wouldn't worry about using ceramics unless you're trying to squeeze every little micro-ounce of power from that mill. I would heat the block and freeze the bearings though, and they should literally fall right in.

Replaced em once and everyone has a perfect way as suggested. Heat the block (250ish) and freeze the bearing. It was a matter of a small tap and the old 1 fell out and the new 1 didnt even need any massaging. Being frozen it just dropped right in.

one question guys, what about once I removed the crankshaft the bearing goes with it, what does it mean? my bearing is not good already? caused it happens to me last time. Please help.

thanks guys I'm going to be using a heat gun that gets up to 200-250C

yes I'm reusing the bearings out of the original crank case that had a premature end after its second tank they are still in brand new condition,
so I'm just going to remove them and install them into the new case when i pick it up on wednesday or saturday,

i will remove the bearings and freeze them and install them in the new crankcase the next day

thanks every body for the suggestions and input

250F is sufficent.....250C (or 485F) is so hot I doubt youd be able to pick it up :p

thanks i got my new crank case today and have already fitted the bearings

looks like i may need a new conrod but all in all its all good

one more question how many shims do i need to put under the button head

Not to sound like a dink but however many you removed would be a good starting point. If your rebuilding theres no reason to change the compression/stroke. Just reassemble the same way you took it apart.

Back