How tight should steering posts be?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcobrien

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've upgraded the steering bushes to bearings but when I tighten up the posts, the movement binds which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be happening.

It looks as though the top bolt is binding against the bearing. If I loosen it, the movement frees up again, but I don't want to loosen it & it all fall apart.

Am I missing something?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348759852.573943.jpg

you"ve got the correct size of bearing? 6x10x3 is the correct bearing size. Cause even you make it full tight it should be still move freely.

you"ve got the correct size of bearing? 6x10x3 is the correct bearing size. Cause even you make it full tight it should be still move freely.

Yup.. Got the correct size bearings (actual HPI stock)

DSC_0405.jpg
DSC_0404.jpg
I used AVID bearings on my savage X.

I've upgraded the steering bushes to bearings but when I tighten up the posts, the movement binds which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be happening.

It looks as though the top bolt is binding against the bearing. If I loosen it, the movement frees up again, but I don't want to loosen it & it all fall apart.

Am I missing something?
View attachment 11680

those nuts look like they are resting on the outter bearing case which would = binding. place a small washer in between to rest on the inner part of the bearing, will fix your problem.

those nuts look like they are resting on the outter bearing case which would = binding. place a small washer in between to rest on the inner part of the bearing, will fix your problem.

Surprised it doesn't come with those in the HPI bearings pack!