How much horsepower

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gutterboy

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
How much horsepower is a 2.1 cc equal to?

It depends on the engine. There is no given formula to equate displacement to power, there are far to many other factors.

btw, what engine is it that is a 2.1cc? Or do you mean a .21 which would be a 3.5cc?

Last edited:
Gilbe is correct - engine HP can vary widely from one manufacturer to the other.

Gilbe - BTW, 2.1cc's is the same as a .12 engine.

2.1cc = .12
2.5cc = .15
3.5cc = .21
4.11cc = .26

ect...

What about 3.0cc = .18
I see alot of folks leave out this poor little engine.

Its a Rossi R12 Pixy Turbo 5 port. It said that it was 2.1 cc but didnt list the horsepower.

Ahh I see, I didn't know that. I did learn something today!

A typical .12 does about 0.50 up to 1.6 hp at the most, most .12's that do 1.4 or higher are usually turbo but Novarossi's RS12 S5 isn't turbo and does amazing power and a turbo Sirio .15 produces about the same power.

Right now technically the Novarossi RS12/Mugen MT12 is one of the most powerful non-turbo .12 mills out there but I think my Picco P12 RE is very fast.

does anyone know a simple way measure the horsepower of an engine? A dyno would work but it seems they are expensive and a big deal to setup.

you cannot measure HP. The only measurement that you can take form an engine is Torque. You then use a mathmatical equation based on torque per a specific RPM to estimate hp.

Originally posted by Nitroaddict
you cannot measure HP. The only measurement that you can take form an engine is Torque. You then use a mathmatical equation based on torque per a specific RPM to estimate hp.

You are correct that a dyno measures torque however horse power is certainly measurable. Maybe I should be asking what a good way to measure torque.

how to measure horsepower:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm

So nice that you sent me that. Now go read it. You cannot measure HP from an engine. To get HP, you must get a torque measurement. The only thing you can measure from an engine is torque and RPM. From those you can gather the HP rating.