How many Mah's is a typical alkaline battery?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbeavis

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
just wondering? I never seen an mah rating on alkalines...

heh, looks like C batteries are the ticket, 7800 mAh at 39 Ohms to 0.8 Volts, WOW (must be a typo??)

typical aa batteries say 1500 mah on the battery... that company is smoking somthing

if you read that is at 0.8V. Current increases with less Voltage. Only way to really test it is to have one and check the line current for the accurate measurement.

Nice find though

Jon

Mah is the rate of discharge (Amps / time) and is ultimately decided by the type and quality of the chemical makup of the battery.
You can draw 1A at 1.5v for 1.5 hours (1500Mah)
You can draw 1A at 1.5v for 3 hours (3000Mah)

Ampereage is very different than Amp Hours. Amperage is found by dividing the voltage by the resistance.
v / Ohm = A

Current levels as low as 1mA to 8 mA cause the sensation of shock to humans. When current levels exceed 8 mA painful shock will occur. 10+mA and risk of life is eminent.

The resistance of the human body is approximately 100,000 ohms from hand to hand. If the hands are wet or sweaty, the body resistance reduces to 37,000 ohms.

A typical AA battery will emit .015mA when both poles are touched with your fingers.
(1.5v / 100,000 Ohms) * 1000 = .015mA

Last edited:
Originally posted by masterbeavis
heh, looks like C batteries are the ticket, 7800 mAh at 39 Ohms to 0.8 Volts, WOW (must be a typo??)
Possibly but not likely. I mean NiMH C size are well over 5000 mah now. I was thinking the D sized one: 1700 mAh at 39Ohms to 0.8 Volts, was probably incorrect though. I mean the NiMH D batteries are over 10k mah.

Originally posted by robriguez

Current levels as low as 1mA to 8 mA cause the sensation of shock to humans. When current levels exceed 8 mA painful shock will occur. 10+mA and risk of life is eminent.

The resistance of the human body is approximately 100,000 ohms from hand to hand. If the hands are wet or sweaty, the body resistance reduces to 37,000 ohms.

A typical AA battery will emit .015mA when both poles are touched with your fingers.
(1.5v / 100,000 Ohms) * 1000 = .015mA

So what you are saying is that I can kill somebody if I get them wet, and make em touch enouh AA batteries?? HEH

I knew it didnt take much amperage to kill somebody, but didnt realize it was that small.

You would have to wire up over 600 AA batteries in serial to get enough amperage to kill someone. Whether they are wet or not.

lol

It takes only One Amp to kill someone. Thats why you see people being jolted with 50000 volts and live.

Originally posted by masterbeavis

So what you are saying is that I can kill somebody if I get them wet, and make em touch enouh AA batteries?? HEH

I knew it didnt take much amperage to kill somebody, but didnt realize it was that small.

"Volts jolts, but mills [mA] kills" - ancient proverb