How is it different (Factoid)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
Super Glue (Factoid)

What makes super glue so super? How is it different from
regular glue?

Super glue deserves its name -- a single drop can permanently
join your thumb to your index finger faster than you can say
"Whoops," and a 1-square-inch bond can hold more than a ton.
So how does this remarkable substance work? The answer lies
in its main ingredient, cyanoacrylate (C5H5NO2, for you
chemistry buffs).

Cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin that cures (forms its strongest
bond) almost instantly. The only trigger it requires is the
hydroxyl ions in water, which is convenient since virtually
any object you might wish to glue will have at least trace
amounts of water on its surface.

White glues, such as Elmer's, bond by solvent evaporation. The
solvent in Elmer's all-purpose school glue is water. When the
water evaporates, the polyvinylacetate latex that has spread
into a material's crevices forms a flexible bond. Super glue,
on the other hand, undergoes a process called anionic poly-
merization. Cyanoacrylate molecules start linking up when they
come into contact with water, and they whip around in chains to
form a durable plastic mesh. The glue thickens and hardens until
the thrashing molecular strands can no longer move.

Last edited:
That's interesting Eddy, isn't CA glue similar to super glue? is it basically the same thing?

CA = Super glue...

CA...IS super glue...the CA is the abbreviation for cyanocrylate.

Yo - Fasteddy...thanks for the chemistry lesson! I love stuff like this...

"And now you know the rest of the story....Good day!"

Surely, you don't want us to believe, you figured that all out by yourself. Do you?

So if superglue requires water to dry then why can you put a lit cigarette near the wet superglue and it will dry faster?

I'm going out on a limb here, but, I would say the heat evaporates the water at an accelerated rate which expedites the curing process.

Maybe?

I dunno.......

Re: Super Glue (Factoid)

Originally posted by FastEddy
Cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin that cures (forms its strongest bond) almost instantly. The only trigger it requires is the hydroxyl ions in water, which is convenient since virtually any object you might wish to glue will have at least trace amounts of water on its surface.
Was this not saying that it needed water to cure so how would heat expedite this? That's the question

Re: Re: Super Glue (Factoid)

Originally posted by El Pirata
Was this not saying that it needed water to cure so how would heat expedite this? That's the question

Ya know how heat dries you clothes? It turns water into gas form. Water is the only element that can sustain three forms. Liquid, solid and gas. Seeing that breathable air is made up of mostly hygrogen (water). When introduced to heat it concentrates to gas making the water content more dense or humid. So you see, heat itself from the cigarette doen't help, it's the water that accumilates around it.:cool:

My guess? The particles in smoke may thicken the glue. Kinda like flour. The same thing happens if you sprinkle baking soda on it. It's an aircraft building trick. I used it on the last wing I built. Lay in a bead of medium CA. Put in the wing rib. Align it. Then dust with baking soda. Hardens instantly. No waiting.

No, I wasn't guessing, that is how heat catalyzes super glue.
Has nothing to do with smoke;)

Noo dude, I was guessing. Hell, that's what I'm doing half the time I'm here!!!!!! :D

Besides, I didn't see your post before I replied. We were only like a minute apart...

Re: Re: Re: Super Glue (Factoid)

Originally posted by M@xximillion
Water is the only element that can sustain three forms. Liquid, solid and gas.
Actually all elements can sustain these three forms.

The four elements are earth, water,
air, and fire.
Air can be solid? No, Fire can be solid and liquid? No_OH yeah, Earth can be gas, no. So El. Water is the only element that can sustain the three basic forms.:banana:

Originally posted by Candyman
Noo dude, I was guessing. Hell, that's what I'm doing half the time I'm here!!!!!! :D

Besides, I didn't see your post before I replied. We were only like a minute apart...

Sorry dude I didn't mean to come off like a a$$. Sometimes I word things the wrong way:eek:

Actually water is not an element, it is a combination of elements, 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. These are actually elements that can sustain the 3 states we were talking about including a ton of more elements.

Chris, I have no clue what the baking soda does. I just know it works. I picked that one up from Model Airplane News. It works really well. Just make sure everything is aligned before you dust it. Cuz that stuff firms up quick..

I have to remember that one - I'm going to be putting together a slo stic flyer for indoor real soon. Thanks for the info!!!!

Originally posted by El Pirata
Actually water is not an element, it is a combination of elements, 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. These are actually elements that can sustain the 3 states we were talking about including a ton of more elements.

I'm talking basic elements not molecular. Sure we can break down any form of matter into molecular elements. earth is comprised of a mutitude of elements, but as a basic, not molecular element it can not convert to a gas. I believe the table of molecular elements to not apply seeing that I based my answer on water, not Hydrogen or oxygen as separate entities.
;)