How far can you drive before losing radio signal?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWH

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
How far can you drive your savage away from you before you loose radio contact,? both receiver and radio have fresh batteries. And yes I do run a failsafe :)

Thanks Jim

it really depends on the radio system, interference, and terrain. a better radio will normaly travel farther, but you get a nasty delay. also overhead powerlines, or powerfull tower antennas may cause your range to drop. I've had about 150 or so yards with decent results, but again, you can barly see the truck and the delay makes it next to undriveable.

beason said:
it really depends on the radio system, interference, and terrain. a better radio will normaly travel farther, but you get a nasty delay. also overhead powerlines, or powerfull tower antennas may cause your range to drop. I've had about 150 or so yards with decent results, but again, you can barly see the truck and the delay makes it next to undriveable.

Bingo! Range has very little, if anything, to do with the model rig you are driving. Typically, though, you can expect about 1000' range.

I personally wear high powered glasses to view mine at 500 feet. I like to mess with the neighbors pets...LOL

Honestly, I have yet to drive mine further than a football field length. And that is really pushing it. Anytime you do run that far, just make sure you have a failsafe( you said you do ), throttle return spring just in case you get your linkages stuck or disconnected. Also...make sure you have enough gas to get back on this big trek .....

I can only go about 100 yards with an Airtronics MX-3 FM 75MHZ. That's with the stock receiver. Using a novak receiver I can go about 140 before the FS kicks in.

Delay? It's radio... you running yours through a radio station?

The only delay I have ever noticed is the sound. But my range is usually all the way to the seen of the crash.

A lot further than you will want to walk if it flips.

like said above, it depends on the system. w/ a stock radio setup that comes w/ the savvy about 350 feet then the controls lag to about 1 second delay...and the controling gets a tad scary. A top of the line Jr will go over 450ft...have it in my buggy...works great!

Every radio is different just as the surroundings will affect range. Best thing to do is turn the car on (not running) and have a buddy watch the cars response ans you walk further away and use the controls. When the car starts to glitch, delay response or stop responding is how far you should go. It should be a practice that should be done regardless.

Do I do it? Can't say that I do it every time since most of the time my cars are on a track and I have faith in my spektrums failsafe. BUT, it should be done. I think I'll be doing it more often these days.

R/c plane pilots do the radio check differently. They walk away from the plane (engine NOT running) with the transmitter antenna down. If they get past, I think, 30-50 feet with no glitching, it's fine. But... I think r/c plane radios (72mhz) have a little higher power. Also, there is no delay, radio signals travel at 186,000 miles per second. well, I guess there would be SOME delay.....
However, the sound of the exhaust will sound like it's delayed from when you hit the throttle, since sound only travels at about 700 miles per hour at sea level. A good rule of thumb is that if you can see the details of the model, than you can still control it.

I was one of those idiots who cut the reciever wire when I first got my Savage. I was like who needs 8 feet of wire??????? My truck still runs great??

Back