how do different size clutch bells work with stock spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvictor

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I've never really asked anybody this ,but my buddy has a 44 tooth standard spur gear, and the standard clutch bell is 13 tooth. well I have pretty much runs through my 13s, but I have a 12 and a 14 , what is the full range of performance I will get with each of these respectively ,while using the stock 44th spur. and I don't dare to go here, but I do have a couple different size for gears . but let's start easy 1 thing at a time lol.

Leaving the spur gear the same,adding teeth to the clutch bell will gain top end speed and take away some low end torque, Lowering the tooth count on the clutch bell will gain some low end torque while reducing top speed.

The power band moves in the opposite directions when changing tooth count on the spur gears. More teeth = lower gear/more low end. Less teeth = less torque/more top speed.

Then you can start mixing to get all different gear ratios to find one that suits your driving needs. Divide the spur gear tooth count by the clutch bell tooth count to get your gear ratio. Remember that higher numerically = lower over all ratio. Lower ratio for more low end power and quicker take off,higher ratio for more top speed.

thank you so much for the info ,you made it really easy to understand .I know when making changes and experimenting , to make only 1 change at a time ,then test it out .I have an rc pro race next weekend on a completely unfamiliar course layout ,so I will start practice with my stock 13 , then evaluate as to whether I need a 12 or a 14 . the other stuff I will try on a practice today .thank you so much again ,god bless and have a good night .

i had trouble with a clutch bell that used a bearing that used a 8 mm inside id. in 2 weeks i went through 4 bearings. dont use a 8 mm bearing, do use a 10 mm bearing.

I use the standard 5 by 10 bearing ,it's the amount of keys on the clutch belt that I was questioning . I forgot to test and used a 12 tooth all weekend . Then I practiced with the standard 13 yesterday, and duh... there's a reason the manufacturer's make the gear ratios they do .I had better low and high end performance ,when I thought that using a 12 would make me zippy on the low end . boy was I wrong ,it just made everything hot !

Back