Hovercraft

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoc2008

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am interested in building a hovercraft, I have built one before and I am seeking advice. I am looking to possibly build a gas propelled hovercraft and I would like to know what would be a strong engine that I could use to power my craft. I plan to run an electric centrifugal fan as my lift motor. An I would use the engine to propel the craft. I am looking to make it around 2-3 feet long. I would appreciate any suggestions on the project. Thank you.

I has thought about making a ground effect vehicle, if anyone has any knowledge of building such a vehicle I would like to hear from them. Thank you.

Well the first functional full scale ground effect vehicle was developed by the soviet union during the cold war. They had full scale ground effect vehicles such as the Ekranoplan also nicknamed the Caspian Sea monster. Ground effect is defined as a phenomenon of aerodynamics where the flow of air around part of an aircraft or a racing car is interrupted by the ground. Basically its like landing in an aircraft where the air beneath your craft is compressed between the aircraft and the ground producing a lift that is far more efficient than regular lift without the compressed air. Since you need a mostly flat area for this phenomenon to occur, this vehicles mostly operate over an ocean. Ground effect vehicles also called WIG or WIGE (Wing in Ground Effect), fly very close to the ground to maximize the lift from the ground and this enables them to virtually hover above the surface and achieve great speeds. This is because it is basically an aircraft with short wings and the aircraft is equipped to land and most can take off out of the water. However taking off takes a tremendous amount of energy. But it is said that once a vehicle is in ground effect the energy needed to power it is greatly reduced. This principle also applys to cars, mostly race cars. To read more about the ground effect phenomenon you can go here.

lol is that from the show on the history chanl. I dont know what it is called but it is with that one sarg.

No actually thats off the top of my head, as for that show are you referring to mail call, with lee ermy? If so I like that show however I haven't seen it on their but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

yea that is the show when I was reading it I pictured him saying it. lol
Also I am not sure if you found this http://www.du-groundeffect.com/
So let me get this right. IT could be a car or boat, it is almost like a plane but it dont have a elevator right?

Yea I did find that site, I really don't think the r/c models have elevators, but I am sure a full size one would. It is basically like a hovercraft that can fly higher and faster and doesn't need a powered fan to lift it because it utilizes the 'air cushion' to fly but it is different in that it can not stop. Yes they can go on land but it is really not as effective because the ground tends to be uneven and less suitable for "flying."

Are there plans available to construct a ground effect vehicle? If so how much do they cost?

Back