hot racing trans case and motor mount

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it will. Check with Greywolf, I think he's running that on his Momba Monster powered Rusty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

It will work but depending on the size of your spur and pinion you will probably have to dremel the slot out like I did to allow more clearance.

I used the factory gears from my stock VXL transmission. The only modification I did was i drilled out the pin hole slightly in the shaft so it would accommodate a rolled pin by team associated. Someone told me it would hold up better than the stock pin. So far it has held up fine but I've never tried the stock pin so i have no point of comparison. Its a PITA to do but if you're interested I can get you the part number for the rolled pins later this evening after i get home.

That plate is made for the VXL engine and is not needed and in fact wont even work with an 1/8 scale engine.

Just so happens I have my other normal Rustler Transmission apart right now so when i get home this evening I can post up a pick and get you the rolled pin number.

As for the stuff you listed above, I'm not a big fan of Hobbyking electronics. I'm also a big believer in "you get what you pay for" especially when it comes to electronics. That being said their are some "buget" electronics that are decent but they are far and few in between. Hobbywing makes decent budget electronics, Id look at them for an ESC. Id look at getting a tenshock X802 v2 2400kv motor. Tenshocks are a little hard to find US sellers for but they are great motors. I have a 1/10 scale Tenshock I'm putting in my Regular Rustler and I've seen a lot of good reviews on the Tenshocks. Jang reviewed the 2100kv and said it was virtually equal to the Castle 2200kv in terms of torque and top speed. You can find Hobbywing ESC and Tenshock X802 v2 combos from THIS website for about $213. I've never bought anything from them so Id suggest you ask around or google them first before buying. i know this is more than what you were looking at spending on the other but the money would be well spent.

If this is for a stampede, which I'm gathering it is from the gearbox link then I wouldnt put an 1/8 scale system in it. It would be ridiculous uncontrollable overkill. Id look at the Hobbywing SC8 and Id run a Tenskock sc401 4400kv. You can get that combo HERE at the same place as the other one. This combo can handle up to 4S and would still be over powered on a Pede. In fact Id say that system on 3S would be more than enough. You also wouldnt need to use rolled pins with this 1/10 scale set up either so it would save you that hassle. and it is a hassle to drill out without a vice and/or drill press.

As for the pinion. Id buy Nitro Revo spur gears and use those for spurs and then just use normal mod 1 pinions. Even if you go with the 1/10 scale SC401 4400kv its a SC motor by design so it already has a 5mm rotor and mod 1 pinions are cheaper and easier to find than 48P pinions with a 5mm bore.

i was looking and couldnt find a hobbywing esc in the U.S but i found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TenShock-120A-ESC-SC-401-Sensorless-Motor-3400kv-Combo-for-Short-Course-Truck-/121069102498?pt=US_Character_Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item1c3047e5a2

Want do you think about this esc combo? i am kind of leary of it because i have never heard of it before. Or should i just get the mamba max pro and call it a day? i will probably only be running 3s anyway. The only reason i was going to go with the 1/8th scale combo is just because i thought i would be better for the motor and esc because it would not be stressed at all. i just want somthing that is not going to get hot running on 3s. the motor and esc in the link looks great on paper but will it be reliable? thanks for all your help. sorry i have been a pain in the a$$. i just want to get it right

I can't go to ebay here at work but I'll try and remember to take a look at it this evening after i get home.

www.hobbypartz.com has both the 150A and the 120A ESCs in stock and ships from Cali

the esc combo in the ebay link was the same one that you had on your first link. it was the tenscock 120a ex-4 v2 esc and the 3400kv motor. do you have any experience with this combo? it looks pretty good but i have just never heard of it. or do you think i should just go with a mamba max 4600kv?

I've never used the Tenshock ESCs but I have a Tenshock motor and I've seen good reviews about other Tenshock motors. Given that Id take a chance on their ESC personally although Id probably look at the 3800kv or the 4400kv motor. rather than the 3400kv for a 2WD stampede. Castle is probably better quality but its going to be a fair amount more expensive too. Again personally speaking for a 2WD Pede Id probably go with the budget system. Putting a Castle MMP in it is kinda like putting a turbo charger in a Geo Metro.

If you're still interested in the rolled pins here is a pic of the pin I'm talking about replacing. Now after looking at this one I noticed that it already has a rolled pin in it so now I can't remember if my older kit already had a rolled pin in it and someone said that the Associated ones are stronger or if the older one had a solid pen in it. That being said I can tell you for sure that the Associated pins are a tad bit thicker but only a tad. If you're not putting a 1/8 scale system in it I wouldnt worry about it. If you're still interested in doing it the Associated part number for the rolled pins is 7369.

11419_488244447889374_1017739710_n.jpg

Back