hot glow plugs and medium glow plugs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc-psycopath

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
what is the difference in glow plugs? i mean like hot and medium. is it the temp they are supposed to be run in? or their operating temp?

what is the difference in glow plugs? i mean like hot and medium. is it the temp they are supposed to be run in? or their operating temp?

Medium plugs are good for all around weather. You want to run a hot plug if it's hot and cold if it's cold. It has to do with the timing and how hot they burn. A hot plug will advance the timing and cold will retard the timing......I think. I almost always run medium and they work excellent......O'donnell #77 or #100, depending on engine size.

It's a popular belief that you should run a certain heat range of plug depending on temperature. I have found that to not necessarily be true.

It's all about timing. Cold retards the timing and hot advances it. Low nitro 0-16% needs to run with a hot plug, and 20% and above needs a medium to cold plug. Also small block engines(.20 and below) usually uses hot to medium plugs and big blocks(.21 and above) run medium to cold plugs. But this is all generally speaking, there are plenty of times when this doesn't apply.

What makes it even more confusing is the fact that the heat ranges of different makes of plugs do not compare directly.

They all have different definitions of hot, medium and cold.

what do you use on your t-maxx? cause thats what i got. also is yours a 3.3 or a 2.5r? the ones i used on my old redcat before i sold it were OS #8.

Don't own a T-Maxx but know that the 3.3 and 2.5r both like to run a OS LC3 it's a long reach(meaning std. length as OS plugs are shorter than any other make) hot plug. If you can't find that plug try a McCoy MC59.

My Picco .26 Red Dot likes 25% Nitro fuel and O.S. #10A5 cold plugs

Yes the lc3 works great in a 3.3 or 2.5, but I've had better luck with the O'donnell #77 in below 70 degree weather. I have a stock of both types they're excellent choices.