hot glow plug "fuel" (owner of hobby shop mocks me when i ask)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAH-THUNDERBIRD

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I know this may sound really stupid to ask but i feel better if i know what I'm doing

(you could say I'm the legendary super noob)

got a little stumped on which fuel to get

i read hot glow plugs are for 10% nitro fuels (glow plug reads N3 if thats any help) local hobby shop has only morgan fuel cool power 10% at the moment

cashier or perhaps owner literally made fun of me when i asked him

20181214_141453.jpg

cashier or perhaps owner literally made fun of me when i asked him

There is cool ,med an hot plugs!
The 10% nitro is mainly aircraft fuel ,so your LHS does not carry land fuels ,they probably only have mostly customers
that fly!
So that being said ,their not going to order or pay the shipping for higher % fuel that they dont have the customers for .

But yea ,I think that you would need a med to hot plug for your land base ride ,an at least 20% nitro fuel!

If your LHS was any good ,they would of explained that to you ,an can order the stuff for you if you pay up front!...:cool:

There is cool ,med an hot plugs!
The 10% nitro is mainly aircraft fuel ,so your LHS does not carry land fuels ,they probably only have mostly customers
that fly!
So that being said ,their not going to order or pay the shipping for higher % fuel that they dont have the customers for .

But yea ,I think that you would need a med to hot plug for your land base ride ,an at least 20% nitro fuel!

If your LHS was any good ,they would of explained that to you ,an can order the stuff for you if you pay up front!...:cool:
guess i go to the other hobby shop they are a bit more expensive but if they are more friendly i rather go there

anyway you say the truck i bought came with the wrong glow plug?

guess i go to the other hobby shop they are a bit more expensive but if they are more friendly i rather go there

anyway you say the truck i bought came with the wrong glow plug?

I didn't say that!...LOL...I don't know what you have!
But ,you would need to pretty much match the glo-plug up with the fuel & engine you have ,I think that
if you run a smaller engine you might need a hot plug ,not sure ,I run Os #8 an run mostly big block engines!

The higher the % of nitro ,the more it cost ,a gallon is better to buy because it last longer than the quarts ,quarts ,
you have to keep buying when you run out ,an it depends on how much you drive your ride!

I didn't say that!...LOL...I don't know what you have!
But ,you would need to pretty much match the glo-plug up with the fuel & engine you have ,I think that
if you run a smaller engine you might need a hot plug ,not sure ,I run Os #8 an run mostly big block engines!

The higher the % of nitro ,the more it cost ,a gallon is better to buy because it last longer than the quarts ,quarts ,
you have to keep buying when you run out ,an it depends on how much you drive your ride!
hey dont LOL me xD i just woke up!!!!! great excuse isnt it? i give the truck a try
tomorrow when i get some fuel

thanks

Example;If you pay $11 to 13 bucks a quart ,you would be eventually pumping out $45 to over $50 bucks a gallon ,
I paid I think $38 bucks a gallon for 20% at my LHS ,if I order ,I can get 30% nitro for $ 40 or 42 bucks from Torco fuel
company!

Example;If you pay $11 to 13 bucks a quart ,you would be eventually pumping out $45 to over $50 bucks a gallon ,
I paid I think $38 bucks a gallon for 20% at my LHS ,if I order ,I can get 30% nitro for $ 40 or 42 bucks from Torco fuel
company!
agreed if it is cheaper to buy per gallon go that route, but around where I'm at, my LHS has to pay hazmat fees for deliveries on gallons, but not quarts, so fuel is over 60$ a gallon, but a quart is 10-12$.

as far as which glow plug per fuel to get, lower percentage nitro (under 25%) it doesn't matter as much what plug to run when regarding the fuel, it more depends on engine, and what it was designed for and many other factors including how many head shims etc. normal is to run either medium temp plug, or hot. just seems to work best. the main reason to use a low temp plug is when running higher nitro so it wont "pre-detonate" in the cylinder. typically higher nitro percentage also is going to require another head shim as well to reduce the compression (not always though).

what engine are you running?
i do recommend for land vehicles running 20-30% nitro fuel and 12% or under oil. some brands do make 15% and 16% nitro etc. which if thats all you can get so be it, i mean they do make 0% nitro even for land. (very hard to tune from what I've seen/heard) just try to stick at or below 12% oil.
if you can, i hear many good things about bonesbrew fuels, you can order online i think it was around 90$ for 3 gallons?
my typical fuel is Sidewinder 20% race blend. can order on amazon for around 12$

if i got customer service like that or if id seen that at a hobby shop i frequented id not go back... everyone had to learn, I'm sure they had similar questions as well when they had started. back when i was beginning i used to get teased and stuff by my old LHS guy but it was in fun, not to be mean/rude. usually ended up in a whole 30 minute lesson lol.

agreed if it is cheaper to buy per gallon go that route, but around where I'm at, my LHS has to pay hazmat fees for deliveries on gallons, but not quarts, so fuel is over 60$ a gallon, but a quart is 10-12$.

as far as which glow plug per fuel to get, lower percentage nitro (under 25%) it doesn't matter as much what plug to run when regarding the fuel, it more depends on engine, and what it was designed for and many other factors including how many head shims etc. normal is to run either medium temp plug, or hot. just seems to work best. the main reason to use a low temp plug is when running higher nitro so it wont "pre-detonate" in the cylinder. typically higher nitro percentage also is going to require another head shim as well to reduce the compression (not always though).

what engine are you running?
i do recommend for land vehicles running 20-30% nitro fuel and 12% or under oil. some brands do make 15% and 16% nitro etc. which if thats all you can get so be it, i mean they do make 0% nitro even for land. (very hard to tune from what I've seen/heard) just try to stick at or below 12% oil.
if you can, i hear many good things about bonesbrew fuels, you can order online i think it was around 90$ for 3 gallons?
my typical fuel is Sidewinder 20% race blend. can order on amazon for around 12$

if i got customer service like that or if id seen that at a hobby shop i frequented id not go back... everyone had to learn, I'm sure they had similar questions as well when they had started. back when i was beginning i used to get teased and stuff by my old LHS guy but it was in fun, not to be mean/rude. usually ended up in a whole 30 minute lesson lol.
i'll look tonight what the engine actually is many shops mention VX-18 so it might be that one though (again wish i was home)

yeah I'm pretty sure its the VX 18

yeah I'm pretty sure its the VX 18
happen to be in a HSP/Redcat vehicle? that would be right then as being a VX. pretty sure those are standard with a hot glow plug, try to get some 20% fuel for that engine. if that plug fails, get an OS of similar qualities, do make sure though to match the plug type to the engine. (i.i plug length, o.s. makes short plugs and regular plugs) i would imagine that VX uses standard length but make sure.
o.s. makes good plugs with good materials that tend to last unless other things are causing issue.
change your glow plug to your fuel, not fuel to the glow plug.

happen to be in a HSP/Redcat vehicle? that would be right then as being a VX. pretty sure those are standard with a hot glow plug, try to get some 20% fuel for that engine. if that plug fails, get an OS of similar qualities, do make sure though to match the plug type to the engine. (i.i plug length, o.s. makes short plugs and regular plugs) i would imagine that VX uses standard length but make sure.
o.s. makes good plugs with good materials that tend to last unless other things are causing issue.
change your glow plug to your fuel, not fuel to the glow plug.
yes it is a HSP

Did you purchase it new or used?

An out of tune engine can effect the longevity of the glo-plug ,too rich can foul & distort the filament in the plug ,
too lean can cause the filament to get fried & crispy an eventually break!
got it new, thought it was better not to get a used one. if someone messed it up and sold it to me, i only got a truck i had to spend more money on to get it fixed

got it new, thought it was better not to get a used one. if someone messed it up and sold it to me, i only got a truck i had to spend more money on to get it fixed

Ah ,I was asking because ,chances are ,if you didn't tune the engine after break-in when you bought it ,you will
keep going through plugs & more fuel ,if it seems to drink a lot of fuel ,an it is hard to start ,then it need to be
leaner on the tune ,an your not getting the full performance out of your ride!

A tune will prolong your plug ,an your fuel will last longer ,also ,it will be easier on the starter & engine!...

Also ,after you shut the engine off ,you want to make sure that the piston is rotated down out of the sleeve on
cool down ,this will help prolong the life of the engine as well!...:thumbs-up:

Ah ,I was asking because ,chances are ,if you didn't tune the engine after break-in when you bought it ,you will
keep going through plugs & more fuel ,if it seems to drink a lot of fuel ,an it is hard to start ,then it need to be
leaner on the tune ,an your not getting the full performance out of your ride!

A tune will prolong your plug ,an your fuel will last longer ,also ,it will be easier on the starter & engine!...

Also ,after you shut the engine off ,you want to make sure that the piston is rotated down out of the sleeve on
cool down ,this will help prolong the life of the engine as well!...:thumbs-up:
well i got running ... in.... my apartment? building manager knocked on my to ask what on earth I'm doing? damn these things make some noise!!! but i love it haha

Back