Hot Bodies Ve8 Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have finally started building a Hot Bodies Ve8 brushless buggy for next race season.

The kit with other parts being used on this build.
Ve8A.jpg

Ve8C.jpg

Some lightened option parts I will be using. Still waiting on the front aluminum hub carriers.
Ve8B.jpg

Some chassis shots after the battery straps and other misc. parts are installed.
Ve81.jpg

Ve82.jpg

Checking to see how the brick fits.
Ve83.jpg

Steering servo saver assembly built and installed.
Ve84.jpg

Front diff built.
Ve85.jpg

At this point I realized I needed the aluminum front hubs to continue. They are on back order and should be in my hands in a couple of weeks. I am going to lay this project aside and work on my truggy brushless conversion which will be in another thread.

Some items of note regarding this kit....

All the baggies are labeled with the step number which corresponds with the instructions. The baggie contains everything to complete the step including the nuts and screws. This makes it a lot easier than bag hopping or sorting through a pile of nuts and screws. Great job Hot Bodies.
Ve86.jpg

All the drive shafts come pre-built. Every kit I have built so far make you build them. Not this time. Yes the grub screws are put together with thread lock at the factory. I can see the blue.
Ve87.jpg

More to follow....

Last edited:
Doesn't that large of a pack throw off the balance at all? That thing is huge!

Wonder what kind of run time you will get with that.

That battery is huge! can't wait to see the rest of the build.

It actually isn't really that heavy. My main concern is that the motor is on the same side as the batt. I can only assume Hot Bodies knows what they are doing with the layout.

I have read from guys who have one that it flies low and level despite the batt and motor being on the same side.

Wow, didn't realise that when looking at it. (not an electric guy)

That doesn't leave much left to balance the chassis out. ESC, servo and a receiver.

Hope it works out well for you.

good luck man that thing looks sick

Decided to skip ahead and leave the front end for later.

Front assembly
Ve88.jpg

Beefy brake rotors
Ve89.jpg

Center diff
Ve810.jpg

Center diff assembly
Ve811.jpg

Center diff installed
Ve812.jpg

Rear diff fluid fill
Ve815.jpg

My old school rotating adjustable work stand is working great for this build. Picked it up at an LHS 20 years ago and haven't seen one since except for the one my dad had which is also in my possession.
Ve813.jpg

Ve814.jpg

so what is the latest on this build?

Got some parts today so I can continue with the build this weekend.

Front arm assemblies are complete. No E-Clips on the hinge pins. Yay!
Ve816.jpg

I got tired of waiting for the aluminum knuckles and carriers to come in. I canceled my back orders and opted to just go with the stockers. I did install the aluminum spindles though.

Although I neglected to picture them, I ditched the steel hinge pins and picked up a set of Lunsford titanium pins. Same goes for all the turnbuckles.

Looking good Rob! Will you be racing at Norcal with it?

A club has formed in Petaluma and they build a 8th/10th and a 5th scale off road track. I plan on attending a few races there. May give Nor-Cal a try once I get my off road legs under me.

Lookin' good Rob. Lightened outdrives I see. Nifty. Kind of surprised at the button head screws on the diff though. I'm just used to seeing recessed heads on my S3 diffs. Actually, I think my TMaxx diffs are recessed too and they are actually HB differentials.

More progress...

Front end is mounted up.
Ve817.jpg

Ve818.jpg

Rear end is mounted.
Ve821.jpg

Ve822.jpg

Almost done.
Ve823.jpg

Time to build shocks. These are some fat boys.
Ve824.jpg

Last edited:
Shocks filled with oil. My shock stand comes in real handy. It's tall enough to reach under and pump the shocks without removing them from the stand.
ve825.jpg

Shock done and ready for mounting.
ve826.jpg

Mounted
ve827.jpg

ve828.jpg

The AKA wheels mated with the grip surface of the King Headz wheel nuts should keep me from ever loosing a wheel.
ve829.jpg

ve830.jpg

I really like the fit of the AKA wheels to the hubs. It seems to be a zero tolerance fit and you really have to press them on. No flopping around with these bad boys.

No way I use the plain stock rear wing so I went with the JConcepts.
ve831.jpg

Now we're talking.
ve832.jpg

Time to mount the servos, motor, esc and paint the body.

At this point I am switching back over to my ST-RR build so I can get it to the same point. I plan on doing the final programming of both rigs at the same time. Same goes for painting of the bodies.

More to come....

Last edited:
looking good can't wait to see it finished

Back