home made skid finished

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, it looks a lot better than most DIY projects I have seen. :cool:

nd

How much ya gonna charge me for a thicker pair?

They look good but I think they might be a little too thin to use. They will work well for the purpose of being skid plates alone but if they become part bumper too, which the skids are, they will bend easily. One plus is that by being so thin they will be easily bent back.

Those are nice.

I thought about doing a custom set myself. You're an inspiration!!

i think they may be too thin too pirata. i have some thicker stuff that i think i will make another set from. i would like to be able to countersink the holes. you should go for it darth! they were real easy to make. i'm using this one as a test for a better pair. i've figured out a few things i'm gonna do a little different next time.

They look good but I think you may want to go thicker on the next set. But good job on the first set.

Nice work...now that you have made your maiden pair, it is time to get down to the real business of skid plate making...thicker stock...

The thinner set may be easily bent back, but it also means they will be subject to metal fatigue more quickly with each successive bend...

Last edited:
Originally posted by SkyMaxx
The thinner set may be easily bent back, but it also means they will be subject to metal fatique more quickly with each successive bend...
What about a composite set, thin/thick... Hmmmm

That would be cool..thick at the bend points for strength and thin elsewhere...wait a minute...the whole thing is one big bend point...especiaaallllyyy, when Pirata drives

i was gonna use the thin aluminum and pvc foam. that's a stiff foam that we use for sign making, but it is easily shaped with heat. it's about an 1/8" thick. i'm still waiting on a header gasket from my world class hobby shop. 10 days i've been waiting for a part they should have on hand. anyway, i haven't had the chance to abuse the skid to see how it will hold up.

Don't be disappointed if it bends badly upon impact...remember it's your first go and a thin one at that...

the other aluminum i have is about as thick as the stock chassis. think this will be thick enough? another question: is it necessary to have those grooves in the front skid that those two posts on the steering linkage fit into? are they on after market skids? i don't know if they're fit to sell. they look good, but how functional they are remains to be seen. i wouldn't want anybody to feel ripped off. if they work...cool. if they don't it was a valiant effort. then i'll go with the rpm's.

Last edited:
The grooves are not necessary and are not on aftermarket metal skids. Chassis thickness is a little bit thinner than most aftermarket metal skids, but it is adequate to the task. The problem with Aluminum is that it is relatively soft as metals go. It will bend given sufficient force at about any thickness (not talking about excessive thickness, talking relative thickness for the application at hand, skid plates). If you could machine Titanium, you would be happier.

The bottom line is that you made them yourself at minimal cost. If they work great, you now have something useful that you can replace at a really good price should you destroy the prototype (first run).

Last edited:
Originally posted by Grinch
i was gonna use the thin aluminum and pvc foam. that's a stiff foam that we use for sign making, but it is easily shaped with heat. it's about an 1/8" thick. i'm still waiting on a header gasket from my world class hobby shop. 10 days i've been waiting for a part they should have on hand. anyway, i haven't had the chance to abuse the skid to see how it will hold up.
Make your own header gasket out of a manila folder, it'll work, I've been using them for years.

Grinch, I have quite a few gaskets, pm me if you need a couple and I will stick a couple in the mail right away for you. It sucks being not able to run your T for a few cents part I hate that. LMK

thanks, ncnitro! greatly appreciate the offer! i have to say that there are a lot of good guys here, always willing to help each other out.

Originally posted by Grinch
thanks, ncnitro! greatly appreciate the offer! i have to say that there are a lot of good guys here, always willing to help each other out.

It's what separates us from those other forums.....:banana:

Back