Holes in pistons...large or small? (not what it seems)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvec7

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, we all know what having larger or smaller holes in pistons in the shocks does....but, does anyone know if it would be better to have say 5 small holes w/ the same area of 3 larger holes? Which would be better, the smaller or the larger ones? (but they both have the same total area)
I'm trying to see if this answer isn't obvious to everyone else, so state your honest opinion, the first that comes to mind w/o reading others posts. (or if you know for a fact, then state that)
I just want to see what everyone's thoughts on this are....

:OT: Man.....CSI looks GREAT in HD.....

Last edited:
lol i love csi.. now back to the topic. first thought would be same effect, BUT you have to think about oil turbulance, the 5 small hole would creat more turbulance, and more drag, the 3 hole would create less turbulance and less drag, but i think the difference would be so miniscule (sp) that you would have a hard time telling the difference.

why do you ask?

Just to see if a little experiment is worth doing......I need to do something for a video project for one of my iT classes....and this may be the candidate...I too think the larger holes would be better......maybe it varies w/ diff. oil weights :shrug:

do a comparison of oil wieghts, what the diff oil weights do

Compare the 2..fill your shocks with water....and compare the difference between which one is easier to push and pull out. If the 3 holes is easier then do that, If the 5 holes is easier then use that setup. Its just a test, then drain out all the water,,use some DA to get ALL the water out..fill with oil then your good to go. The one that contracts and expands the easist will allow you to use the heavist oil wt.

my first thought would be the same results.....if the holes are smaller and more...then its still only gonna pass so much fluid through it....

the only way i could see it making a difference if the holes were larger/or samller.....

if you have 3 holes that are large...and 5 holes that add up to the same fluid mass passing....it would have to be the same?......if you have two more larger...then more fluid would pass ...i would think also that the faster the fluid the passes through the piston, the softer the compression and faster the rebound....which would cause the car to bottom and bounce back up to fast....being hard to handle and adjust for....

then you get in to round holes vs conical holes and it all changes....lol

Back