Hobbywing ESC 'locked' to external programing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danthuyer

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Am new to the RC scene and wanted to build my own rig so I'm waiting for a Tekno SCT410.3 to arrive.

In the meantime I purchased a cost effective ESC/Motor combo and got a 'Ace Power' combo which has a hobbywing 8SC-RTR esc and a 3660SL G2 4000kv motor. I programmed the ESC with the supplied program card and all was great. In the manual it mentioned an LCD program box which could enable more things (I like to tinker) so I grabbed one and hooked it up.

The PC had issues connecting to the ESC and I have now seemed to have 'locked' the ESC and I can not use any external device (have tried 3 different devices) to talk to it. I can however still program it using the manual method of pressing the setup switch and turning on the ESC and using the beep method.

I contacted Hobbywing directly and found out that the Ace power gear is OEM and not supported by them and all of their 'suggestions' which were very lame did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone had anything similar ? I don't mind having to do it the manual way however I'd really like to get in with the LCD Program Box and play with the setting in the ESC a bit more and its currently an expensive paperweight.

Before asking questions:
yes - I have tried different cables
yes - I have tried different program cards
yes - I have tried talking to it with the RX connected/disconnected
yes - I have tried different firmware on the LCD Box

It's not Hobbywing, it's Ace Power... Yes, it's manufactured by HW but so are half or more of all hobby-grade ESC's. Most of them not supporting all the features of HW-branded ones. And the OEM ones are usually ancient designs.

I see genuine HW combos being 20-30 percent more expensive than the Ace Power, Konect and whatnot combos, so maybe you should have gone with that... Just for peace of mind and support. Not like you're building a budget rig with a Tekno kit!

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 :)

It's not Hobbywing, it's Ace Power... Yes, it's manufactured by HW but so are half or more of all hobby-grade ESC's. Most of them not supporting all the features of HW-branded ones. And the OEM ones are usually ancient designs.

I see genuine HW combos being 20-30 percent more expensive than the Ace Power, Konect and whatnot combos, so maybe you should have gone with that... Just for peace of mind and support. Not like you're building a budget rig with a Tekno kit!

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 :)
Funny how all the branding and documentation supplied with the product is hobbywing LOL

But you're correct hindsight is a fantastic thing and lesson learned - however the fact that it has LOCKED the ESC from any type of program card now is a pain in the but ! (as it was working)

Believe it or not this is a 'budget' build I bought the kit for $200 USD with international shipping :)

I would just use what you got for now if money is an issue, then later on buy an actual HW esc and throw in it. Unless you are a diehard racer, there probably isn't much you really need to mess with using a program card that you can't do with the button.

But yeah, a lot of things in this hobby unfortunately... you get what you pay for. And I agree with nino - a Tekno really deserves to have good electronics in it. They are one of the best brands for sure. So me personally, I would be wanting to use good components in it.

I would just use what you got for now if money is an issue, then later on buy an actual HW esc and throw in it. Unless you are a diehard racer, there probably isn't much you really need to mess with using a program card that you can't do with the button.

But yeah, a lot of things in this hobby unfortunately... you get what you pay for. And I agree with nino - a Tekno really deserves to have good electronics in it. They are one of the best brands for sure. So me personally, I would be wanting to use good components in it.
I'm trying to keep it somewhat cost effective ... like anything you can go silly and spend money where you dont need to on exotic bits and pieces.

The last car I had was riddled with issues apart from the electronics .. they worked flawlesly. this is probably the main reason I've spent a bit of money on the car itself this time and gone with the Tekno (also because I want to build it myself)

I just had a chat to the shop that sold me the combo and they are looking to do something for me and I might upgrade to a HOBBYWING MAX10 COMBO W/SCT3660SL 4000KV MOTOR 38010201

Just out of curiosity, why 4000KV? Seems high to me unless you intend on running 2s. I had that combo in my LCG Slash 4x4 and it's too hot IMO. Replaced the motor with a cheapo 2800KV motor off Aliexpress and it's a better match, at least on 3s. I drive strictly on loose dirt/sand so mo powa = mo problems.

It's a great kit, two buddies have them and they drive on semi-slick tires so the rest of us with Slashes can be competitive on pin tires!

Just out of curiosity, why 4000KV? Seems high to me unless you intend on running 2s. I had that combo in my LCG Slash 4x4 and it's too hot IMO. Replaced the motor with a cheapo 2800KV motor off Aliexpress and it's a better match, at least on 3s. I drive strictly on loose dirt/sand so mo powa = mo problems.

It's a great kit, two buddies have them and they drive on semi-slick tires so the rest of us with Slashes can be competitive on pin tires!
I'm not using as a short course truck per se and more of a easy basher of sorts ... With some big open areas like the local golf course and park areas.

I will be running 3s still working out gearing. Will try a few combos I also have two different C rated lipo so I can slow it down that way also

I'm not using as a short course truck per se and more of a easy basher of sorts ... With some big open areas like the local golf course and park areas.

I will be running 3s still working out gearing. Will try a few combos I also have two different C rated lipo so I can slow it down that way also
C rating doesn't slow down an RC. All the C rating shows is how much sustained amps the battery can take. A higher C rated battery may have a bit more punch, but it's the volts that determine how fast a motor is going to run on a paticular battery, and all 3s batteries deliever 12.6v at max charge.

Last edited:
I suspect 3S on a 4000Kv motor is going to run hot even on tall gearing in open area. Id personally go with something in the 2600-3200Kv range and use shorter gearing or just run that motor on 2S. Either way, Id keep an eye on motor and ESC temps. :2cents:

I suspect 3S on a 4000Kv motor is going to run hot even on tall gearing in open area. Id personally go with something in the 2600-3200Kv range and use shorter gearing or just run that motor on 2S. Either way, Id keep an eye on motor and ESC temps. :2cents:
You mean even on short gearing I think 😜

Go with a lower KV for sure. It's not a light truck, and that 4000KV will be impossible to cool even geared as low as you can go!

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought short gearing was a low ratio like 1:1 where like 4:1 would be tall gearing. Do I have it backwards?
Shorter gearing is more like 4:1. Tall gearing would be 1:1.

hey grey wolf. would a Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 G2 140 Amp Sensored Brushless Waterproof ESC/3665SD Motor Combo (2400kV) be good for my rustler 4x4?
If you're gonna run regular sized tires on it Id personally probably opt for the 3200Kv. If you're gonna run oversized tires then yes, Id go for the 2400Kv but I wouldnt run it on 4S.

If you're gonna run regular sized tires on it Id personally probably opt for the 3200Kv. If you're gonna run oversized tires then yes, Id go for the 2400Kv but I wouldnt run it on 4S.
I have oversized tires on it and I would stick to 3s

Then 2400kv is a good option. You can always run a bigger pinion if you have the headroom on the motor and you want more speed

Then 2400kv is a good option. You can always run a bigger pinion if you have the headroom on the motor and you want more speed
yeah my buddy just got one and put it into his hoss. its nuts on 2s and near uncontrollable on 3s. he has a 54/23 gear ratio. he also has the traxxas talion ext 2.8 tires.
yeah my buddy just got one and put it into his hoss. its nuts on 2s and near uncontrollable on 3s. he has a 54/23 gear ratio. he also has the traxxas talion ext 2.8 tires.
He is gonna try it on 4s when I get him a Y harness for his b-day in April. His is April 22, 2009, and mine is April 29, 2009. he is going to get me a 3s battery for my birthday because my other one just recently puffed and exploded as soon as I took it out of the car. thankfully, I was outside when I took it out. I'm also going to get my own y harness for when I get the combo. I would only use the 4s for speed runs though.

Back