Hobby King 1/5 Scale Clone

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell, for $399 it might be worth it! I have gotten quite a few things from HK and had no problems at all with them.

where did you see the 399? i like it and think it might be worth it new. i am curious if hpi will sue them though? that looks too close to the hpi baja 5b

edit, i found the price...

Save your cash if your going to drive it more then once a year.
There is so much wrong with this clone I dont know where to start. This isnt a 10th scale car. Its a 28lb rocket. Chances are every time to drive it that its going to brake. I hear horror stories from most everyone that owns them. Countless tails of people saying they spent more on the clone then saving to buy a real Baja.

Save your cash if your going to drive it more then once a year.
There is so much wrong with this clone I dont know where to start. This isnt a 10th scale car. Its a 28lb rocket. Chances are every time to drive it that its going to brake. I hear horror stories from most everyone that owns them. Countless tails of people saying they spent more on the clone then saving to buy a real Baja.

tell some of the people who own them to post up on here.

only reason i say this, is i was flamed from numerous people for using stock parts from 3 different motors to build my car engine. i was flamed for the poopy port job i had done on my head, then i was flamed for buying cheap brand ebay parts for my car off ebay. well i built my car as a budget, none of the parts that i was flamed for installing have failed......

i was basically flamed for not buying quality parts and supposedly people like me who believe in working with what we can afford ruin the car industry. i can show you numerous threads where i was told what i was going to do would not work......

point being, my cars pretty damn fast, dependable and runs just like i wanted it to when i was done. i have no regrets. it seems people just wanted me to spend money on parts i wouldn't have needed....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGhx6Q9mzxI"]YouTube - Gsr%20on%2075%20shot (2).mp4[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFNaGLu63xM"]YouTube - my gsr coupe on 75 shot[/ame] <<< my car in action after i got through building it.

moral of the story? i believe what i see with my own eyes. i've been steered wrong too many times.

Last edited:
If you are looking to take the cheap road maybe look into the new Redcat XB. They are listed for $499 and look far superior to the previous models. I saw a prototype at the iHobby show and they seem pretty good.

Or like before go HPI.

well let me make a comment since i have a genuine, i say go for it, there is no way the quality of the hk clone could be as bad as teh quality of my genuine 5Bss. i never get more than a half tank of fuel before somethign breaks on mine and i am now down for a couple of months while i save some funds to replace parts (decided just to quit wasting time trying to run it and totally overhaul it and get rid of as many of the functional hpi parts as possible before running it again

well let me make a comment since i have a genuine, i say go for it, there is no way the quality of the hk clone could be as bad as teh quality of my genuine 5Bss. i never get more than a half tank of fuel before somethign breaks on mine and i am now down for a couple of months while i save some funds to replace parts (decided just to quit wasting time trying to run it and totally overhaul it and get rid of as many of the functional hpi parts as possible before running it again

You are one of the VERY few then. I have beat the hell out of mine over an over and the only things i broke where purely my fault. Broke and upper front a-arm crashing into another baja at full speed and a lower front hitting a soccer goal. HPI can't be responsible for that. Nothing else on my ss has broken. I have upgraded some parts as a preventive measure not due to failure.

i keep hearing that however i dont believe it since i have only ever had the one baja but mine has been nothing more than a glorified money pit. this month i decided to pretty much skip putting any cash into it since i have already shelled out 2700.00 on it (not including cost of baja) since i bought it in dec 2010.

only way i will be putting any cash into it this month will be if i sell my raco jac-rabbit, thunder tiger "the challenger", and/or my king tiger tank (all 3 are vintage)

i keep hearing that however i dont believe it since i have only ever had the one baja but mine has been nothing more than a glorified money pit. this month i decided to pretty much skip putting any cash into it since i have already shelled out 2700.00 on it (not including cost of baja) since i bought it in dec 2010.

only way i will be putting any cash into it this month will be if i sell my raco jac-rabbit, thunder tiger "the challenger", and/or my king tiger tank (all 3 are vintage)

You can't judge an entire product line by one example, that's not a control method.

I'm with hamz, I beat on all my RC's, the Baja is no different. Have I broken stuff? Sure I have, in two gallons I've broken one $8 shock shaft. In all the bad landings, tumbles, flips and barrel rolls, that's it. I'm glad I waited to get the real deal.

You can't judge an entire product line by one example, that's not a control method.

I'm with hamz, I beat on all my RC's, the Baja is no different. Have I broken stuff? Sure I have, in two gallons I've broken one $8 shock shaft. In all the bad landings, tumbles, flips and barrel rolls, that's it. I'm glad I waited to get the real deal.

well, unfortunatley this was my only chance for a baja because of cost and withthe quality i see from this one i definately would NOT buy another hpi. with the cost of almost 900.00 for my ss i could have saved some massive cash and went clone which i expected a clone to be plaugued with failures and if i knew then what i know now and had it to do over again i would buy a clone over hpi.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, Raptor. There is always an exception to every rule. I worked in retail electronic sales and we had about a 5% failure rate either out of the box or within the first 30 days. It seems that this is what happened to you. HPI has very good quality control and customer service. Did even try to contact them when you first started having problems?

Exactly what parts have you broken every 1/2 tank?

I find it hard to believe that much is breaking on it my buddy has one and drives like a total idiot and has hardly broken anything.I don't like clones never will and chance is if you get one for $400 you'll put $400 in it to upgrade.Fords used to be the cheapest cars.Henry ford said i could give the cars away and i'll make all my money on parts.Ford had the biggest quality issues of all cars many years ago kinda like clones.:\

He still made some sweet ass ride's :D

Exactly what parts have you broken every 1/2 tank?

arms
shocks
shock tower
rear shock uprights
transmission case
rear L shaped plastic bumper parts
steering servo
2 throttle servos
a few outdrives
pull starter (and i need another one)
rear tires
rear wheels (been through 4 sets of rear wheels now)
2 sets of front wheels
4 sets of dogbones (bent or broken)
and a host of other plastic parts that i found cracks in

i have yet to jump it or even get a wot run and i honestly think my baja which was purchased NEW from DDM was a lemon. when i finally started replacing stock parts with aftermarket i ended up spending roughly 2k to 27k (can't remember exactly now). currently my baja is still down from last months fiasco and will be down for awhile because i couldnt afford to make a ddm order this month like i wanted to because of bills.

I find it hard to believe that much is breaking on it my buddy has one and drives like a total idiot and has hardly broken anything.I don't like clones never will and chance is if you get one for $400 you'll put $400 in it to upgrade.Fords used to be the cheapest cars.Henry ford said i could give the cars away and i'll make all my money on parts.Ford had the biggest quality issues of all cars many years ago kinda like clones.:\

well i would rather pay 400.00 for a clone and put in 400.00 in upgrades for a total of 800.00 than i would 800.00 for a genuine and then 2k for a total of 2800.00 just replacing parts that break just trying to run it around in a football field.

FORD = found on road dea, fed over rebuilt dodge, fix or repair daily (wait that last one describes my baja :D )

arms
shocks
shock tower
rear shock uprights
transmission case
steering servo
2 throttle servos
a few outdrives
rear tires
2 sets of front wheels

i have yet to jump it or even get a wot run and i honestly think my baja which was purchased NEW from DDM was a lemon. when i finally started replacing stock parts with aftermarket i ended up spending roughly 2k to 27k (can't remember exactly now). currently my baja is still down from last months fiasco and will be down for awhile because i couldnt afford to make a ddm order this month like i wanted to because of bills.

So you broke all those parts without ever jumping it?

arms
shocks
shock tower
rear shock uprights
transmission case
steering servo
2 throttle servos
a few outdrives
rear tires
2 sets of front wheels

Ill call Bill $hit on you for this post.
Lets see some photos of all these parts and a photo of your rig including the bottom of the chassis.
Ill tell you in 5 seconds what this rig has been through. Only one other possibility is that you have hit walls or curbs numerous times from lack of driving skills.

Your being called out.......
Put up or shut up!!

Looks like your out there buying quality parts.
i tried a patriot rc servo that had teh same or better specs than the hitec and was only 29.99+ tax but it was a waste, it failed and i exchanged it since i had only had it a couple days and the replacment also failed (second one went nuclear internally).

How many front tires?
i am running teh stock fronts that came with my 5bss and the HD compound rear dirtbuster tires. i have yet to try any other tires

I love this one....
i won an ada on another forum here recently. :D i am looking to sell it or trade it for some genuine non clone parts :D i am in ardmore oklahoma by the way :D

Ill keep digging and finding posts you have made. This is just off one forum in the last 2 months. How many forums and far back would you like me to go?

Last edited:
Back