HiTec HS-5925MG servo - bad quality control?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbreaker

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got this servo for about $120 near the end of last year and it performed really well. It's really fast - .09 and it's strong - 150oz.

Anyways, this year I've gotten a new radio, the XS3. Everything was fine, and the servo burned out. White smoke came from the bottom of the servo and it let go. Fortunately the buggy was benched so it didn't take off running.

I figured the servo just died, and I replaced it with another one - same model servo. I ran it once, no problem. Second time it opened full throttle and locked there. Needless to say the buggy took off, and fortunately all the cars driving by noticed it and stopped while I ran after it like a crazyperson.

I put in the JR 650 servo I had sitting around, and it works. I haven't run the buggy with the 650 yet, but sitting on my desk it turns back and forth just fine.

All the while, the steering servo has been fine.

What do you guys think? Bad luck with the servo? Do you think the radio could be messing the servos up, even though when I hook up a new servo it seems okay, while the steering servo hasn't had a problem?

I appreciate any insights into this. It really sucks watching your hobby and all the work you've put into it take off into traffic.

sounds like another digital servo burned up by improperly set endpoints. i killed a 5925 myself like that once. put in a second one, readjusted my endpoints and have quite a few gallons on it since. endpoints are very critical with digital servos. set them down to zero and bring them up to where you need them to be. just enough to fully open the carb, and just enough to stop the buggys wheels in dirt, no more. make sure your using fuel tubing in your brake linkage, and the rubber mounting grommets that come with the servo.

It's possible, but I'm usually pretty good about setting endpoints. I do have the fuel tubing as you suggested (same little peices that came with the linkage originally, too) and I am using the rubber mounts for the screws.

It's possible that I could have set the brakes to apply less pressure.

The first servo burned out when it was sitting in the idle position, though, and the other servo completely ignores the radio and turns in left all the way as soon as you turn it on. No fail safe involved.

Good info though, about the endpoints. I didn't know you could wreck one because of it. If that's what caused it, I don't think I'll buy another HiTec if they're THAT sensitive to it. My steering servo is a JR digital servo and it's been good for two seasons.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. You swithced out the radio and probably never set the endpoints.

Remember it's not that it's that sensative. You can do it to any servo not just limited to one manufacturer.

I rebuilt the entire buggy between seasons; new chassis, all sorts of other stuff. If I didn't adjust the endpoints on the first servo by some odd occurance, I certainly did on the second one. Althought I didn't know you could actually destroy a servo by incorrect end-points, I always did because I figured having the right end-points would save battery power.

I've always set the brakes to pretty much full power though, so it could have been that when I would brake it would strain the servo too much.

Good info.

I'm thinking that I might just stick with an analog for the throttle/brakes then - steering servos don't usually have to push against a blocking force like what happens when you brake. I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of speed and torque if it means more reliable throttle control.

Throttle control is key to maintaining a buggy that doesn't get crushed by mac trucks =)

Oh, so do you have a suggestion for a good non-digital throttle servo? I'd prefer speed over power (although I'd still prefer a fully metal servo) because those hardcore racing brakes really hook up.

Depends on what you want to spend. A Hitec 625 will work(cheaper), but look into the Airtronics 357 or 358. I'm using a JR 590z on my truggy with good results.

I got a 625mg at the trottle and I am very pleased, have very good brake
put a analog servo on trottle

5625mg digital on steering , same , performs very well
all brands of digitals wil burn through if stopped past end point

Last edited:
On the Airtronics site, they have several servos listed.

It looks like this one http://www.airtronics.net/images/images/Servos/94357Z.jpg is what I'm looking for but the part number makes me think it's a digital servo (94357Z ERG-VR High Speed Servo.) Anyone know?

Where's a good place to pick up the 357 or 358 online?

357 is not digi. The "Z" on the end of the number is for the type of connector.

vbgagnon said:
the 94359 and 94360 are digital servos.

NO, they are not. they are heatsink case versions of the 94357 and 94358. all 4 are very high quality analog servos.

Back