Hitec compatible with Spektrum??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4u2nv

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm running into some probs, which has me curious if Hitec servos (645's) are compatible with my spektrum Dx2 system. Anyone know?

When I plug everything in, its like everything locked up. The throttle wont move, or the steering, and if I try to move it with my hands, its locked.. Both of them... I just sent the reciever in (a S3000) in to get the wire soldered back in the reciever (The whole spektrum setup is brand new. When I bought it, the antenna wire was laying next to the reciever), so the guy said it was updated and ready to roll. I tried different batteries, and bypassed a switched (thought them might be the problem) but still having the same issues.. Anyone have any guesses whats up? Only thing I can think of is either theres something wrong with the controller, or Spektrum isnt compatible with the servos. It has me scratchin my head..

noone? Do I smell funny?

Do you have the servos that came with the spektrum? Try those with your receiver and see if they work. If they don't work, then it's apparently the transmitter or receiver.

I would think it would work with hitec servos though. You sure you didn't plug the servos in backwards?

I'm pretty sure that the spektrum servos are JR servos that are re-badged. I've used JR, hitec, airtronics and futaba servos all with the same receiver. I can't imagine a $100 radio (MX3) would work with all those brands and your $200 radio won't.

on the plugs that go into the reciever, is the black all the way to the right? Theres no guide on these plugs. I got one of the servos that came with the reciever, Ill give that a shot.

on the plugs that go into the reciever, is the black all the way to the right? Theres no guide on these plugs. I got one of the servos that came with the reciever, Ill give that a shot.

yellow is signal, red +, and black -. Don't know if you saw my thread but I've had 2 Hitec servo's die on me and I'm using a spectrum also. My steering servo is fine but my throttle/brake servo has died twice. the second time the servo lasted literally about 5 minute then just locked up and died like you said. I'm sending both servos back to hitec to see what they say. I bought a third one but this time went with Futaba to see how it goes. Hopefully this one will last more than 10 minutes. This is getting EXPENSIVE!!

I have used my spectrum with hitec servo's before , I do know that you have the trim set right or you will work your servo's to death ....I went through a few 645's before I realized I was the problem and not the servo :)

I have used my spectrum with hitec servo's before , I do know that you have the trim set right or you will work your servo's to death ....I went through a few 645's before I realized I was the problem and not the servo :)

you know, after today and running my buggy for a few hours I think you may be on to something here. :D I installed my new Futaba servo and I spent extra time on my trim settings and really dialing them in and learning exactly how they work. I had no problems at all. I think I was working them to death like you said. I was told by someone that the buzzing/humming is normal for digital servos. Well mine are now only doing it when I'm actually usining them and not when they are just sitting idle in the neutral position. Live and learn I guess. :D

I was told by someone that the buzzing/humming is normal for digital servos. Well mine are now only doing it when I'm actually usining them and not when they are just sitting idle in the neutral position. Live and learn I guess. :D

absolutely.

I had been running Hitecs in my Maxx untill today. I didn't have any compatability problems with my Spektrum Rx. I have a module in a 3pk, not Spektrum Tx though.

Should work just fine, Andy. I run HiTec's with my Spektrum and no problems. Sounds to me like it might be a binding issue. Did you re-bind it when you got it back?

Should work just fine, Andy. I run HiTec's with my Spektrum and no problems. Sounds to me like it might be a binding issue. Did you re-bind it when you got it back?
I'm unfamiliar with that (As noob as that makes me sound..lol) I've heard the term alot, just never thought to ask exactly what it was.. I'm guessing binding is when the servo locks, but how does a person "re-bind" it?

Binding is how you lock a Spektrum Rx to it's intended Tx so that other Tx's cannot operate it (cause interference). I don't remember the procedure off the top of my head but it would be in your manual.

Ok I got it unbinded, and nothing. BUT when I plug in my Spektrum servo's, it works fine, but as soon as I plug the hitec servo(s) in, it makes a whining noise and nothing. I took off the servo horns, thinking maybe there was a bind on there and still nothing... Both the servos are Hitec HS625 servos.. I have NO fricken clue. I've tried plugging them in every way possible, and nothing.. Again, anyone have any ideas??

look at the color of the wires on the spek servos and the color of the wires on the hitec.

They should be in the same order with the exception the last wire might be a different color i.e. blue or yellow (this is the signal wire)

I'm guessing on the Spektrum the ground is the brown, and the Hitecs is black. I'm putting these to the farthest right on the reciever. I've even tried flipping it around, and still nothing. (The rep at Spektrum said since the center is the power, that it wouldnt harm them if hooked up wrong, they just wouldnt work.)

Andy, HiTec has great support as well, maybe give them a call and tell them what's going on. I had issues with Spektrum to the point that just before I bought my Nomadio I was about to go back to FM. We're the servo's new? Here's something to try too, try plugging in one servo at a time in each position to see if they work with only one installed. This would point to possibly an error on the board or the servo maybe causing a short. I'm just kinda guessing there but trying to isolate either one particular slot on the rx or one particular servo. I would say that if you tried both servo's in say the throttle slot on the rx and they did not work and both servo's on the steering slot and the same thing but another servo worked in either position than it could be the servo's. HiTec's have a 2 year warranty. You have another rig too, try plugging the servo's into it and see.

I haven't had any problems with HiTech servos and my spektrum.

I got a chance to call Hitec today during lunch and the tech support guy wanted me to send them in before I even told him what the issues were.. I'm going to try to call later and see if I can get a different rep.. That guy seemed like a moron..lol..
It just seems weird to me because what are the odds that BOTH of them are having problems ya know? The servos are both newer, so I think thats kinda weird. But yet, the stock servos that came with the spektrum work fine.. I dunno, but its pissing me off. Snows finally melted and I'm twiddling my thumbs trying to figure this out..

Do you have a different receiver/transmitter that isn't spektrum laying around? Maybe you could try your suspect servos into something you know they worked with.

I only have a mini-t other than the Xb8.. Thats what I was thinking though.. Ill try that before I send them in. I dont know what else it could be..

Update: I remembered my airplanes and figured Id try the servos out in there... They work.. Both of them work fine.. Hooked it back up to the spektrum reciever, un binded again, and again.. Nothing... Now I REALLY dont know what to do or what to look for.. Any ideas? I'm TOTALLY out of ideas now..

Back