High speed third gear set for savage 3 speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpiracing1123

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
any one have it?? if soo would u recommend it and how much faster dose it make ur savage go?? thanks guys

I dont know too much about it, but the XL has a 3 speed and it rips!
So if 2 gears isnt enough, go for it. But sometimes it takes a mechanically minded person to fit and troubleshoot, if it becomes needed.

The 3 speed isn't needed but it sure sounds cool when you hear it shift twice! Mine was set perfectly the first time and since my Savage is the old type that requires a tear down of the entire truck just to get to the tranny I was really happy with it. The Savage X type is supposed to be a lot easier to get to the tranny. So if you have that type it shouldn't be a big issue to take it out and adjust it if you need to. As for the speed . It didn't really make mine much faster but it did give it a lot more torque. The gear ratios are closer also and I like that too.

I'll agree with durwank.
I've got both 2 and 3 speed trannys and at one time sat down and did the gear ratio math. The 3-speed is geared both lower and higher than the 2-speed. Since my Savage doesn't have any problems getting off the line, the change to the first gear ratio does me no good. The third gear ratio is a little taller than the 2-speeds; but the difference is pretty insignificant. The 3-speed does sound cool shifting, but I'd rather have one less shift point to deal with. If you ever need more top end, just gear up the clutch bell and/or gear down the spur gear.

thanks guys I'm thinking about trying it its only 10 bucks so.

I've got the same issue.. (savage 25 4.1) I swapped my 2 speed for a three speed looking to try and out run a t-maxx. I got alot more take off but not that much more top end. So it looks like clutch bell and slipper clutch gear changes might be the best way to get more top end. Am i on the right track or should i be looking inside the tranny for more top end?

The original 3 speed was geared wrong. The final gear ratio was the same as the stock 2 speed. The high speed 3rd gear corrected this, thus giving you higher top speed.

The original 3 speed has 10% taller top gear and high speed is 15%. The XL comes stock with the high speed top gear. I noticed a big difference in my xl 3 speed right away,top and bottom end. I think they just rock and would never go back to 2 speed.:D

Got a link to the high speed 3rd gear?

I have no idea what mine has, but it came with a 3-speed trans in a 2 speed case... I pulled it and put in a two speed trans my buddy had, so I could run it in the winter without having shifting issues.

I bought a new 3-speed case and installed all my internals in it and put it on a shelf for summer.

I wasn't aware of 77065 - that's cool.
How you can tell whatcha got - ya gotta count the teeth.
Which means that you gotta pull the tranny out and open it up.

Original 3 speed:
The topshaft 3rd gear has 24 teeth.
The middleshaft 3rd gear has 38 teeth.

77065 & Hi Speed 3 speed:
The topshaft 3rd gear has 26 teeth.
The middleshaft 3rd gear has 36 teeth.

Doing the math, the Hi Speed 3 speed does offer up a 15% improvement on the top end (actually 14.68% rounded up to 15%) over both the 2 speed and original 3 speed.

When HPI introduced the 3 speed, they changed a couple of other gears besides adding 2 & changing the top end (3). These being the (only) gear on the bottom shaft and the end gear on the middle shaft that mates to it. This difference impacts the final drive ratio so that the 3rd gear of the original 3 speed offers up a whole .2% (two tenths of one percent) top end improvement over the 2nd gear of the 2 speed.

Well, that makes more sense if your adding a third gear. Then you can gear for normal off roading in 1st/2nd, but in the big flats, get up enough RPM's to hammer out 3rd for ludicrous speed. May need to do that when I get another LRP for my savage next spring...

yea i figured that out the other night thanks guys and went to work today and ordered it so should be here friday and ill be putting it on at work either saturday or sunday :)

I have it on my xl and it is crazy fast!, it can probably beet a whole lota rc bugys and cars out there! it sounds like a motor cycle or somthing.

"They've gone plaid!!!!"

I figure there's not much point in futzing with a 3 speed when your fingers are numb from the cold. Besides, too much speed in the winter is usually bad anyway!

i put it on yesterday and its awesome its alot faster i would deff recomment it.

hey guys I have bought the third gear (HPI 77065) , but can anyone point me how you can place it??

Back