High Speed Death! LeaK?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blu_boost

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So I got my tmaxx built again and pretty noob at tuning. I understand the concept but haven't had enough time (yet) to practice it. I have a few things i can't figure out and need your input, Please.

Its dying on high speed without shifting. Was lurching forward so i richened the LSN (is little increment better?). Idle was normal and pinch test was sounding about rite(popped wheelies). The engine is at the point of RPM's, that shifting normally happens but doesn't.

Fyi this the first time i really ran the tmaxx after buying.. so not to familiar. Tore it down and went through the whole truck. Umm Wondering if something wrong with transmission? Also aware of front bearing air leak so could this be causing all my problems? Should get the crankcase & bearings tommorow and have a fun time with bearing removal.:D Also are the hex on the backplate metric... none of my SAE hex kit has the size (2.5 i believe).
ThankyOu!:first_place:

Last edited:
So I got my tmaxx built again and pretty noob at tuning. I understand the concept but haven't had enough time (yet) to practice it. I have a few things i can't figure out and need your input, Please.

Its dying on high speed without shifting. Was lurching forward so i richened the LSN (is little increment better?). Idle was normal and pinch test was sounding about rite(popped wheelies). The engine is at the point of RPM's, that shifting normally happens but doesn't.

Fyi this the first time i really ran the tmaxx after buying.. so not to familiar. Tore it down and went through the whole truck. Umm Wondering if something wrong with transmission? Also aware of front bearing air leak so could this be causing all my problems? Should get the crankcase & bearings tommorow and have a fun time with bearing removal.:D Also are the hex on the backplate metric... none of my SAE hex kit has the size (2.5 i believe).
ThankyOu!:first_place:

Yes the screws are metric.

I beleive you are describing the same problem I ( and many others ) have had....... runs good, revs up high, shits out right when it should shift. LOWER your shift point, its over-reving.

And yes, air leaks are just all types of bad in gerneral.

Yes the screws are metric.

I beleive you are describing the same problem I ( and many others ) have had....... runs good, revs up high, shits out right when it should shift. LOWER your shift point, its over-reving.

And yes, air leaks are just all types of bad in gerneral.
Ill check it out in morning.. Wake my neighbors up :p: My buddy over pulled:hehe::hehe: the pull start so I gotta check that out. Ill adjust the shift point and see if it still cuts out.
If it cuts out, would it be good to lean HSN(1/8 turn?). I'm wondering, because there is lots of smoke when it revs higher(maybe too much fuel). I also thought that when it cuts out on higher rpm's it means HSN is lean..:\ confusing...:\
Whats a good amount of time for the 3.3 to "warm up"? (no temp gauge, kinda wanna learn without it.)

Last edited:
The way you've described it, it sounds like your LSN is set right. Now it's time to start tweaking your HSN for WOT. Don't mess with the shift point till the tune is right. If it's not running right, it won't shift right.

Back