Hey I got a traxxas/latrax rally car it’s still stock has anyone bought any aftermarket motors for one of em

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What spur and pinion are you running? More so the pinion gear.

id go brushless on this but Id say its going to last much longer than Any brushed motor . but you would have to go with a combo esc/motor combo..

I would put in a brushless system like others have mentioned. Running a pinion too big will definitely heat up the motor but brushed motors don't last long unless they are in a crawler.

There are a few reasons the motor may be overheating. There may be something binding. Too tight of a gear mesh with the pinion and spur. I think the stock Latrax has bushings not bearings. Before you go brushless you may want to install bearings. Any parasitic draw such as unnecessary isn't going to do a brushless motor any good either. The car will be a little faster with bearings anyway. Brushed motors will last but just like any electronic component heat will kill it. Bad connections will cause excessive heat also.