hey guys, I am new and have some questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoldr

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey all, so my friends and I bought an RC car, its not new, we bought it used from somebody that we know. We tuned it today and it runs great. But here are our questions.

1. The air filter is really dirty. Can we wash it with soap/water?
2. When we throt backwards to use the break the motor cuts out!

Also, our remote controller has a throttel control, and if we put it below the 50% the engine cuts. Is this normal?

Hey all, so my friends and I bought an RC car, its not new, we bought it used from somebody that we know. We tuned it today and it runs great. But here are our questions.

1. The air filter is really dirty. Can we wash it with soap/water?
2. When we throt backwards to use the break the motor cuts out!

Also, our remote controller has a throttel control, and if we put it below the 50% the engine cuts. Is this normal?

if it's a foam air cleaner, you can wash them, but it's usually better just to buy new, they only cost like $3 for a pack of like 4.

As for the engine dying under brake/under 50% trim, you need to adjust your idle needle. First, set your trim on the controller all the way down. Next start the rig and slowly raise your idle while holding the brake until you get a nice smooth idle without the car/truck wanting to move or jump when you release the brake.

Well what we have noticed, is the trim and the break both do the same thing on the actual car, and a break doesn't work. We see the mechanism, but as to stopping the car, it doesn't. It just rolls to a stop. So we don't really know what to do from here.

Well what we have noticed, is the trim and the break both do the same thing on the actual car, and a break doesn't work. We see the mechanism, but as to stopping the car, it doesn't. It just rolls to a stop. So we don't really know what to do from here.

you still want to setup your trim as low as possible. The brake can be adjusted to work using the adjustment on the brake it's self on the car. Should be a threaded knob in front of a spring on the car, it's attached to the thottle. Tighten that about half a turn and try it. Adjusting it more or less until you get the desired brake without having huge amounts of brake drag. Brake drag is when you leave off the throttle and instead of slowing the car seems to brake on it's own, even though you didnt apply any brake.

Ok, that sounds pretty good. We will give it a try, and I will post on here if we can make it work right! Thank you for the help so far!

Ok, that sounds pretty good. We will give it a try, and I will post on here if we can make it work right! Thank you for the help so far!

anytime! btw, what rig so you have and do you have any pics of it? It will help ALLOT to know what you have so we dont give just general instuctions.

Well weve been having problems getting the thing running now. And when we do get it to run, we drive it around for about a minute then it just dies out. And sometimes when it revs too high it dies, sometimes when its just beginning to slow down it dies. And the brake isnt working, but were trying to figure it out.
Here is a picture.
http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/1070/rcod3.jpg

I think its a .12 engine, old but its fine, because were new to the hobby

What are the best settings for the HSN, LSN, and the idle screw? I hear that its good when light blue smoke comes out. Anybody have good settings for us?

We haven't touched the settings and now the engine doesn't even turn over. The Glow igniter is pretty bad and holds a small charge, and the glow plug itself seems pretty old, so we are thinking about going tomorrow to pick up a new glow plug and a new glow igniter.

First you need a good charge on the ignitor. The plug should glow bright yellow. Set the idle with the trim knob turned down to zero, and the brake applied with the trigger. The opening should be 1-2 mm, or about the thickness of a credit card.
Start the engine and let it run till it warms up. Trigger it and check the take off. Lean the LSN to get a good launch, but not so lean that you get an overheat. You should really have a temp gauge for extra security. At WOT, adjust the HSN by 1/8 turn at a time till you find the spot where it runs the best. The HSN will need to be tweaked from time to time to compensate for outside ambient temp and humidity.

First you need a good charge on the ignitor. The plug should glow bright yellow. Set the idle with the trim knob turned down to zero, and the brake applied with the trigger. The opening should be 1-2 mm, or about the thickness of a credit card.
Start the engine and let it run till it warms up. Trigger it and check the take off. Lean the LSN to get a good launch, but not so lean that you get an overheat. You should really have a temp gauge for extra security. At WOT, adjust the HSN by 1/8 turn at a time till you find the spot where it runs the best. The HSN will need to be tweaked from time to time to compensate for outside ambient temp and humidity.

You have that statement saved on your computer somewhere so you can just copy and paste it don't you? :p: LOL

Pffffft.... That's the only way he can remember it.

Back