Help with wires on starter...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sykotyk

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have tried crimping them down harder, bending them a little and have come to the conclusion that I will need to solder them or epoxy them in place, if I am ever to get them to stay on while bashing. Has anyone else run into this problem? Five minutes in the dirt and they come off. After the T dies and I go to re-start it I have to take the body off re-attach the wires, and then start it. It is frustrating to say the least. Help....

I also agree, solder and problem solved or you could just get a pullstart

I had that problem too. I put a wire tie around the starter motor to secure the wires to the motor. This stops them from flopping around and coming off. Don't make them so tight that the tension pulls them off. Just tight enough that there is no flop. Also make sure the connector is properly over the terminal, rather than just sitting with the terminal loosely between the connector and the rubber insulator.

If you do not want to solder them you can also use heat shrink tubing. This way, if you ever need to take it apart, you do not have to de-solder the connections.

Just trying to think of an alternative for you.

Aside from the shrink tubing option (which is awesome BTW...thanks Christian), you could try "tightening" the female connector. The main reason they come off is due to metal fatigue and a phenomena (can't remember the name) that is caused by hi frequency vibration (the kind that a motor at 40000rpms would generate).

Anyway, back to the non-soldering solution. Take a pair of needle nose pliers. Place the open end of the female connector into the tip of the pliers, so that the flat surface is against the face of one side of the pliers. Then apply pressure by squeezing the pliers closed. Not too far, you don't want to pancake the connector. Just enough to force the curled under portion of the connector to curl a liitle tighter and make the opening in the female connector smaller.

This should give you better fit of the connector (a tighter fit) and thus make it less likely to slip off. Couple this idea with either the shrink tube idea or the zip tie idea mentioned earlier and you won't need to worry about solder and removing it should you need to disassemble the EZ Start motor assembly at a later date.

I like the shrink tube idea. In fact I have some sitting not 12" from where I park the Truck. Thanks Christian. SkyMaxx, I have tried squeezing the connectors together already. It does help for a while, then they fall off again. Thanks guys, I will let you know if it works.:)

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
Aside from the shrink tubing option (which is awesome BTW...thanks Christian), you could try "tightening" the female connector. The main reason they come off is due to metal fatigue and a phenomena (can't remember the name) that is caused by hi frequency vibration (the kind that a motor at 40000rpms would generate).

It's called electrolisis.;)

use soder on them they are all most per diment

Originally posted by M@xximillion
It's called electrolisis.;) [/B]

That is not the term in question. Nice try though. It has more to do with harmonics and vibration than an electro-chemical reaction...which is what electrolisis is. I appreciate the try though. HW tried explaining that one once upon a time...I had some great fun pointing out his flawed thought process. You may have seen it on the TRAXXAS site...;)