Help with RC purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galaxy_24

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to get into RC again. I retired my nitro Jammin X1 CRT years ago. Still looking at a Truggy style vehicle but in a 1/10 scale with 4x4 drive. 1/10 looks to have a lower initial cost and lower cost of ownership. Plus I am looking to move to electric and I am new to LiPo and I don’t have any batteries or a charger which I will need to purchase as well. Most of the time I will be driving on a short track I have at my house with some jumps and clean dirt. There is a local indoor track that I may take it too which is a clay track.

I have been looking at the Habao Hyper TT10E. The price seems to be in the range that I would like to spend. I have looked at the X-RAY and Tekno equivalents but they are a little more than what I really want to spend.

I also have been looking at the Traxxas Rustler VXL. I know they are really not the same category of vehicle but similar price (looks like it just got a price bump). I just look at the Traxxas Rustler VXL and see an abundance of plastic which makes me nervous but parts for it are everywhere. Is there a different vehicle similar to the Hyper TT10E that you would recommend that I may have missed that I should consider? Or is the Hyper TT10E a good vehicle that I should purchase?

Any information is helpful.

Thank you.

I have a Rustler vxl and would recommend it it has a lcg and more than enough power to tear up the dirt and jumps. the plastic you see is a good thing, it has a little flex when you wreck and is less likely to bend than alum. if you run on 2s lipo you should be ok with stock axle shafts. if not and you run 3s you will have to upgrade the shafts with MIP Xduty

I have 3 Rustlers, 2 rear wheel drive, 1 4x4. I moved the ESC to the front to balance the rear wheel drives. Stock, handles like a wheelchair.

I’ve watched a lot of videos on the Rustler VXL and it seems like a fun truck to drive. Thank you both for the input.

I have a rustler xl5 convert ( see my post) I bought an rtr base model to build it for speed looks and, asphalt. If you’re looking at trucks for bashing with short course use avoid the aluminum, the composites hold up really well, and are much cheaper to replace, even though I know this, I went all aluminum except for the pan. If it was going to go bashing, I wouldn’t have built it out the way I did, those shiny parts tear the plastics apart when you wreck! For a great truck out of the box, at a really reasonable price my 2 cents would be a traxxas slash, for the money it’s a really solid truck,

I had an OFNA Jammin XB1 back in the day. It was tough as nails... I don't think that carries over to the hyper 10tte though. 1/8th scale racing buggy/truck vs 1/10th scale RTR. I don't know the hyper 10tte, but after looking at it, not sure I'd buy it myself. Has plastic in places you don't want plastic (chassis braces, steering rack), the arms look pretty thin/fragile, 2 piece shock caps (never had those that didn't leak), just seems like a pretty low rent vehicle that would likely be more of a pain than it was worth unless you were really easy on it. I'm not easy on anything... so if there's a weakness, I tend to find it pretty quickly.

As for the rustler, are you talking about the 2wd or the newer 4wd? The 4wd is similar to the stampede and slash 4wd. They share a lot of the same parts. Probably the same for the 2wd lines.

I have a stampede 4x4 vxl that I've extended using a slash chassis. I'm fine with the higher COG to gain a bit of ground clearance for offroad. I've dumped a lot of money into it to get it to become something I enjoy and can abuse. It was great at first until I started pushing it a bit. Then I had overheating issues on 2S, slider axle issues, axle carrier/shock issues, slipper/center shaft issues... etc. After throwing money and time at it, now it does pretty well. I actually ran 2 packs through it yesterday, about a constant hours worth of run time (now on 3S), one at the skate park and another offroad and had zero damage. Was a good day.

I was considering the 4x4 Rustler in addition to the Hyper 10tte. I am not fully sold on that Hyper 10tte. I think I may go to my local track and see what they are driving over there. I may even see what classes they have just in case I want to race in the future.

Thank you both for the recommendations and your input.

Ok, what I can say is the rustler is fully upgradable,
Parts are reasonable price wise as well as available pretty much anywhere, it’s a riot out of the box,

Looking to get into RC again. I retired my nitro Jammin X1 CRT years ago. Still looking at a Truggy style vehicle but in a 1/10 scale with 4x4 drive. 1/10 looks to have a lower initial cost and lower cost of ownership. Plus I am looking to move to electric and I am new to LiPo and I don’t have any batteries or a charger which I will need to purchase as well. Most of the time I will be driving on a short track I have at my house with some jumps and clean dirt. There is a local indoor track that I may take it too which is a clay track.

I have been looking at the Habao Hyper TT10E. The price seems to be in the range that I would like to spend. I have looked at the X-RAY and Tekno equivalents but they are a little more than what I really want to spend.

I also have been looking at the Traxxas Rustler VXL. I know they are really not the same category of vehicle but similar price (looks like it just got a price bump). I just look at the Traxxas Rustler VXL and see an abundance of plastic which makes me nervous but parts for it are everywhere. Is there a different vehicle similar to the Hyper TT10E that you would recommend that I may have missed that I should consider? Or is the Hyper TT10E a good vehicle that I should purchase?

Any information is helpful.

Thank you.

The Hobao is a good choice , the Rustker 4x4 is quite fast quite nimble for a truggy style I like mine more than the Slash .
ifs Easy to drive as well a Few tweaks it could be ideal.!!! However as a Word if Warning Traxxas parts aren’t that Cheap.!
I can Also say the Arrma Senton 4s is a good buy too.
just my two sense

The Hobao is a good choice , the Rustker 4x4 is quite fast quite nimble for a truggy style I like mine more than the Slash .
ifs Easy to drive as well a Few tweaks it could be ideal.!!! However as a Word if Warning Traxxas parts aren’t that Cheap.!
I can Also say the Arrma Senton 4s is a good buy too.
just my two sense
They are the same price as Arrma parts.

Thanks for chiming in guys. I have a very old Traxxas that I drive now. The parts for that vehicle seem reasonable but I’m sure costs varies from one vehicle to another. I‘ve looked at the Arrma Granite. At first it didn’t look impressive to me. After watching some people push this vehicle to the limits and see how it holds up changed my outlook. Thanks again for the input. As I keep researching seems like there are some options out there.