help with computer!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hb1111

i know theres a lot of guys here that know there computers ok i have a dell it about 2 years old but i use it to do my invoicing and a little bit on the net but it coming slow as hell ,i try to delete programs from it but i dont think its completely deleting it,is there any way to delete programs besides the control panel add/remove programs i have xp home edition,also its so slow to start i can't find my restore disc so is there a way to wipe it out and just put the basics back on...i think its slow on the net due to all the damn pop up ads anyone got any tip to help me out this thing is so slow it hurts!!

If your using it to look at the web you might be loaded with spyware. I would try something like spy sweaper or the like to get rid of them. As for deleting the programs you can always just go to there folders and check if its clear files like it should be and any that are left delete them one by one the old way.

Nemesis hit the nail on the head first shot. I use those two programs all the time. Worth their weight in gold. If you do have spyware on your computer those are SURE to find it.

yup spybot and adaware, make sure to update both before you run them. Most likey you have Spyware or a virus slowing your PC. also make sure you are not running a P2P crap.

Occasional house keeping may help as well.
De-fragment your hard drive and deleting temporary files is always a good idea. Shut down any programs running in the background you don’t need. Look at your system tray and see if you have a lot of programs starting up when you boot. Too many fonts will also slow down your system.

Using live update on the OS every now and then is also a good idea.

ithanks guys ill give it a shot today ,i also have micro soft power point in here and i dont know how to delete it, hell i can't even find it, its on my desktop and i can run it but i can't find it in my files to delete it? thanks...

I had that problem once, and it wasn't spyware. It turns out that I had the Live Updates on for Windows and it did so many of them it ended up using 100% of my CPU the whole time. I evenutally deleted them all and turned the Live Update off and it was fine since.

Just another idea.

I would suggest that you always keep Windows updated.............

MS Power Point needs to be removed from the MS Office install through add/remove programs. It is a component of a larger software package. When you click add/remove for office chose change then use the drop down next to power point and chose not-installed and it will uninstall the program. Get your office CD ready as it might ask you for it.

ok thanks ill try that too but now i install them programs the spybot and the other one but now i still get them damn pop ups?do i need to purchase the program? and also i 2- tools bars on my internet explorer that i dont know how to get rid of i tried everthing thanks for all the help!!

you have to install spybot, then make sure to update it!!!! Then re-run it and fix all problems, at that point no pop-ups should come. I can let you D/L Windows SP2 which has a great pop-up blocker built into it. LMK.

-Blazer

I sometimes use pcpitstop.com to run tests on my pc,it can detect problems and sometimes fix them for you.if they can't offer a one click solution,they'll give you a rundown of what you need to do.I don't know if it'll fix the problems you're having,but it's worth a shot.

For those of you that run Norton System, on an XP computer, you need to turn off a program within Norton that will randomly run and inspect for fragmentation, etc, without warning, and will use up to 85% of your system recourses. This drove me nuts for several months till I checked during a dragging slow down and found out it was NOPDB .exe. Disable 'run automatically'. It can always be started manually.