Help with choosing bait boat motor and esc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cswood

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi

I was recently given a bait boat.

Boat contains a 12v motor (very old) & battery (no speed control) and seperate battery system for receiver and servo's.

I would like to install a new motor and esc. Would like the best option for the best bucks, however do not understand the specs of the motors.

I have seen motors from 200kv to 1000kv. All of them have diffrent watts.
What factors must I take into account? The kv or the watts? What (kv or watts) gives torque and what gives speed?

Is the money spent on a brushless motor worth the improvement on a brushed motor in a bait boat? From what I read I can only use a esc on a brushless motor. Is there a solution for brushed motors to controll speed?

As I will be powering the system with a 12v battery, does the esc provide a "step down" in power to 6v for the servo's and receiver? Do I need to power the receiver and the servo's with a seperate battery pack. I have seen many resistors and transformers that guys have built on the web, however I am not mechanicly inclined. Can these be bought?

Any help in suggestions to a suitable motor and esc and how to understand the specs as well as how the esc power (input and output) works will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Carel

do you have any pics of the boat.
pics help alot in order to figure out what might work for you

Pics

Hi

Thanks for the response. I have attached 3 pics.

I require the motor to have a little bit of speed (just in case I want to play around), however not a speed boat.

Looking for a economically priced option with a bit of fun.

Your advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

Carel

Attachments

• IMG-20120503-00003.jpg
    IMG-20120503-00003.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG-20120503-00005.jpg
    IMG-20120503-00005.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 729
Last edited: