Help With Castle Mamba Monster X 8s

• Thread starter Castle-Noob-916
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castle-Noob-916

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.
New to the forum and new to Castle products. Just picked up a Mamba Monster X 8S ESC. Running it in a Arrma infraction 6s Stock motor Spektrum 2050KV.
Dumbo X6 esc with Gyro.
So I just installed the Mamba and when I took it out for some runs.
When I am going forward and then I hit the brake it just instantly goes into reverse. I calibrated the transmitter and also went through the ESC programming and everything is on default settings.
I went through about 2 sets of batteries and my front input shaft is fried, ground down like 5 teeth on one side of it.
I really don't know what's causing this IDK if its another setting or what?
With the stock Spektrum ESC when you were going forward and tapped the brake or pulled the brake alll the way back it would still kinda ease the brake on and this is just slamming from forward to reverse, and also does this from reverse to forward.

Please help me so I don't keep stripping teeth of my input gears.

Thanks for your help.
KO

Most ESC's have various settings for the throttle. Forward/Brake, Forward/Reverse, which is what yours is on, or Forward/Brake/Reverse. You need to read the manual. It tells you how to set everything up. Here is the manual.

Attachments

• X_Series_Drivers_Ed_Guide_095-0290-00.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 127
Most ESC's have various settings for the throttle. Forward/Brake, Forward/Reverse, which is what yours is on, or Forward/Brake/Reverse. You need to read the manual. It tells you how to set everything up. Here is the manual.

Thanks for the info and the download. I have already read the manual and entered programming mode. Everything is set to default values. In the manual under brake reverse type default setting 1 it is not supposed to go into reverse until the vehicle is stopped and this is not the case for mine. I don't see anything in the manual that says Forward/Brake, Forward reverse like you stated above. What your saying makes total sense but IDK how to change it. I'm about to disable reverse all together.

Thanks
KO

Thanks for the info and the download. I have already read the manual and entered programming mode. Everything is set to default values. In the manual under brake reverse type default setting 1 it is not supposed to go into reverse until the vehicle is stopped and this is not the case for mine. I don't see anything in the manual that says Forward/Brake, Forward reverse like you stated above. What your saying makes total sense but IDK how to change it. I'm about to disable reverse all together.

Thanks
KO
I am not familiar with that ESC. Let me read through the manual. Do you have a Castle Link for it?

It looks like the ESC is using option 3. I would call Castle and see if they can talk you through a fix for it.

It looks like the ESC is using option 3. I would call Castle and see if they can talk you through a fix for it.
So I went through the programming with the transmitter (No castle link yet)
I disabled reverse all together and when going forward it seems like it’s still slamming the brakes on I also went and changed to 75% brake.
I forgot to mention that the truck is up on a stand with the front diff out of it idk if this makes a difference in what I’m experiencing on the bench compared to on the road with the truck weighed down. Gonna run to the hobby shop on lunch and buy a couple of input shafts tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input
@WickedFog
When I went through the programming everything was set on default settings idk if there is a possibility of the esc telling me one thing and actually doing another I’ll give castle a call.

Sounds like your running forward/brake/immediate reverse

Needs to be forward/brake/reverse. Then make sure reverse delay isn’t at zero.

Far as insta locking you need to learn throttle control which will come in time. Brake control is the hardest to master just from reflex and the shirt throw on the trigger. May want to come off the brake rate some. I noticed my castles were touchy for brakes.

And add that extra control wire to your rx for brake rate control. Then you can dial it for where your running at. Only reason I’ll buy a castle is that wire. Works wonders. My 6s max would be unusable without it.

Link will let you see all the options.

Last edited:
Motor direction was correct from the start. Pulling the throttle forward the green light is lit on the esc. Do you need the castle link to be able to set Forward/Brake/Reverse because I’ve been running the programming with the transmitter I don’t have the castle link Bluetooth adapter yet. My throttle control is pretty decent It definitely seems like delay is at zero as soon as you start to move the trigger away from center/neutral is jumps into reverse or slams on the brake it’s very touchy.