help with break-in procedure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O002

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bought my maxx today!
As I was breaking it in, I noticed that the truck was very jerky as I accelerated. I only got two tanks through before it was dark. If the jerking is normal, after how many tanks should it be gone by? Also, ho mch soke shouldbe coming out ofthe exhaust pipe?

Thanks

also, please post any tips for breaking in the 2.5

Originally posted by O002
I bought my maxx today!
As I was breaking it in, I noticed that the truck was very jerky as I accelerated. I only got two tanks through before it was dark. If the jerking is normal, after how many tanks should it be gone by? Also, ho mch soke shouldbe coming out ofthe exhaust pipe?

Thanks

also, please post any tips for breaking in the 2.5

Your absolutly fine as far as the jerky motion that will settle down more tank after tank. Smoke? Picture someone taking a drag off a cigarette and blowing it out at 1/4 pressure, that is what you should see under accelleration, at idle you should only see a trickle. Try very hard not to mess with factory settings untill full break in and use a temp gun.

I have recently got a 2.5 and it does the same thing I have just completed the 3rd tank. I actually had to richen up the mixture to get it to start on the first tank. but it now has a continuous stream of smoke and is spitting out fuel. the rr tire is twice as dirty as the rest of them. all I can say is even on the break in it has tons of power. could the problem also be with the slipper clutch? as for tips go to this link (should work)http://www.traxxas.com/support/pub/trx_sl_tuning25.htm

Thanks guys, makes me feel a lot better

I know that if you break in a truck with 20% fuel, you have to keep 20%, but can you switch companies? i.e., I broke it in with blue thunder 20%, can I switch to traxxas top fuel 20% later?

What is the best fuel?

First 5 hop-ups for the maxx?

I use the traxxas top fuel 20% If I remember right when you change fuel yor engine goes through a mini break in period to get used to new fuel
I don't know all of the hopups but here goes
1 fuel filter
2 extra gloplugs
3 new tires ( pro-line has some really good ones)
4 a tote to keep all your parts in
5 lots of dirt and mud:D

Last edited:
hehe, number 5 should be number 1.
After how many tanks (approx.) should the jerking forward stop? Also, is it okay if during the break-in (before tank 5), the engine shifts into high gear a couple of times (accidentally)?

I read the manual and it has something to do with some doohicky in the transmission that is engaged by centrifugal force if you accellerate a little faster it shouldn't do it as bad. as for the 2nd gear issue you shouldn't be going past 1/2 trottle until tank 4. you should accelerate over a 3 second period then apply the brakes then do it again while it is not shifting into second gear. in tank 5 it is ok if it shifts. by the way don't turn as sharp as it goes at any speed greater than 5mph (I speak from experience). what color is your body? mines black.

Back