Help; What Monster Truck should I buy???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japb

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello Everyone.

My son wants to buy a Monster Truck and needs some advise in what to buy.

He saw some on the web, like:

DuraTrax 1/8 WarHead RTR w/Reverse for $399.99 + shipping, including taxes

Team Associated Monster GT 4.60 w/28 engine for $376.00 including shipping and taxes

Thunder Tiger EK-4S2 1/8 ARTR 4WD Monster Truck with the .90 engine (The new version) for $358.00 taxes and shipping included.
Thunder Tiger ST-1 1/8 4WD RTR Stadium Truck $560.00 Shipping and taxes included.
All prices are USD.

Your advise will be appreciated.

You people can reply here or email me at: [email protected]

Thanks to everyone

Joe

:)

Like most members here at RCNT, I would have to say that the HPI Savage is the MT your looking for. There are a few others, but the Savage seems to have the most support/parts availability.. Do some research on the HPI Savage. I believe this will be your choice. Good luck

gotta agree with imbroken savage is the way to go ,excellent support and just a all around tough as nails

Savage....It's a big tough truck, whats not to like

well i could go on and on but i will just say Traxxas Revo. poop load of parts and upgrades for it. It is tough as nails and it comes just about race ready right out the box rtr.

Good luck

I am bias though...

Savage, but from your list, the Associated 4.60 or the Thunder Tiger ST-1.

I vote for the MGT 4.60. I have the Savage and MGT, and I would have to say that the MGT is easier to start, break-in, maintain/clean, and tune.

It also handles better and is almost as tough as the Savage. The Savage can take quite a beating.

Both are great trucks.. I just prefer the MGT.

in one word.... Savage!

Tough as nails, a ton of aftermarket parts are available for it, stock parts are usually readily available at most hobby shops. Which brings me to another point. See what your local hobby shop carries parts for, having parts support easily available is always a great plus.

Well, not sure this will help much or not, but here goes nothing:

DuraTrax: I personally have no experience with the Warhead, but considering my experience with some of their other stuff, I'd pass. Not very durable and a pain to get parts for except via the web, which sucks if you need something simple.

Monster GT: Again, no personal experience, but I have a TA RC10GT and LOVE IT! I know there are a ton of parts at the LHS' here and it may be the same in your neck of the woods. Worth looking into.

The Tunder Tiger's: Truth be told, I didn't know they made MT's! My only cause for concern is the 1/8th ARTR. I'd look to see what that includes before going that route, because it may need radio gear, etc. which might drive that price up.

Is this your son's first MT? Does he have any previous nitro experience? Like the others, I'd consider a Savage or Revo as well. They're both in your neighborhood price was.

If this is his very first RC Monster Truck, I'd have to say Emaxx. IMO it's a pretty good starter truck, on the flip side it's electric. Not so much tuning involved and a bit cheaper than the nitros. However there are some hidden costs, unless you already have them you will need a charger and 2 batteries. It's Traxxas so most Hobby stores will be stocked with replacment/aftermarket parts. If you want to go nitro, Savage or Revo. Just my opinion, good luck.

i have to agree with vincemaxx119. if this is his first RC and consider starting with an electric truck. its basically, drop in the batteries, turn on the radio and enjoy 10-12 minutes of runtime. the nitro trucks will go faster and run longer, but maybe be a pain to start...especially during break in. cost wise u are looking about the sme after factoring in a few battery packs and a cheap charger. u do not need a fancy charger and opnes can be found on the boards here or via ebay...

if u must go the nitro route, go with either a MGT, revo or savage. my personal fav is the savage. i've had 3 and they simply rock. very durable, but working on them is difficult cause of the frame construction. if u decide to go with a savage, there a couple od special forum dedicated to them, and the MT section here has a great savage subforum too.

Gotta say the Savage. I've had a few different nitro's and this is by far the best one I've ever owned. Tough as nails, easy to tune, easy to break in, and is just overall the best MT.

I would go for a nitro monster truck than an electric truck. Yes, it is more work but it is a heck of a lot funner. I own a nitro quake and its quite a blast. You don't have to worry about charging batteries and all that jazz. I would go for a team assoicate truck. They make the best r/c imo.

I just got into Nitro RC. Yes there are a couple of things you need to overcome like when you first start tuning (there are plenty of sites that tell you how = the manufacture should also) you will come into your first problem. "oh, I can't get it started!!!" All you really have to do it set it rich pull start it a couple of times then lift the gascap to and pull it until it starts (a max of ten times). There is also a higher chance of breaking an engine due to unknowledgeable tinkering....

A choice of mine would be the HPI savage...

Back