Help unknown buggy/brand

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieselFingers

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey so I can't seem to find any info on this nitro car, nor any information regarding the brand D&A. Some 10 years ago I was able to access some online parts catalog, I remember finding the exact part I needed... And I didn't order the part and it sat ever since. Anyone ever heard of them? I've been searching again and can't find anything, only similar buggies of different brands. It has a Taiwan Go 18 engine... I'd like to get it going, I got this as a gift when I was younger and my dad did the warm up procedure wrong, burning out the spur gear; so I have never driven it, has sat in my closet/storage unit/now attic all its life... TIA. Love to see an online forum in action these days

D&A 4WD 1/10 Nitro Power Big Foot

IMG_20221112_003104.jpg

IMG_20221112_003225.jpg

You're in luck, that looks like an HSP 94188, still in production and well-supported with parts. HSP's are sold under many re-brands, like Exceed, Himoto, some Redcats, and apparently D&A. It appears to have a few differences from the stock model, but should be more or less compatible with the aftermarket parts.

It exists in 2 revisions, a C-link suspension and a pivot-ball version, and yours appears to fall between the two, with the updated radio tray but original suspension arms.

The manual you want is here (link directly to PDF) - searching part numbers from that manual will turn up the results you need. That's the original version with the C-link suspension.
The manual for the pivot ball version is here, bundled with a few others, but that has your straight radio box rather than the "L" shaped one.

Bravo Tudordewolf, Bravo! I wholeheartedly appreciate the knowledge and pdf manuals, I couldn't have asked for a better answer- I already have the new part in a shopping cart! And I will browse with the keywords you have shared- I wonder if I missed a logo somewhere hidden or if they really just don't brand their products... Thank you so much!!

You're in luck, that looks like an HSP 94188, still in production and well-supported with parts. HSP's are sold under (...)

Bravo Tudordewolf, Bravo! I wholeheartedly appreciate the knowledge and pdf manuals, I couldn't have asked for a better answer- I already have the new part in a shopping cart! And I will browse with the keywords you have shared- I wonder if I missed a logo somewhere hidden or if they really just don't brand their products... Thank you so much!!

Tudordewolf is an HSP Guru.

My pleasure! It's one of my favorite "platforms" because of the number of parts it shares with their other 1/10th models, giving you tons of fine-tuning options with gear ratios and aftermarket upgrades.

They are pretty sparse on markings, we're lucky to get "L" and "R" on the steering hubs and tooth counts marked on the pinion gears, and that's about it.

Last edited:
More issues. I fitted the new spur gear, this time a metal one, and then the carburetor tab fell snapped off. I started the engine anyways and it ran, then it revved to all hell (because that little tab controls throttle, duh!) So the new metal spur gear ended up chewing up the primary(?) gear from the engine, now I need one of those and the carb tab thing. Should be easy enough for me to find now that I have diagrams and parts catalogues. I do have one question, how tight is the spur gear spring supposed to be? The one you crank down, it's the anodized blue piece in the picture. Also note the carnage

IMG_20221207_191513.jpg

You da wolf @tudordewolf ! Thank you. This also gives me the opportunity to gear down for crawling, going from 16T to 14T clutch. I agree, the mesh was too tight, when reassembling I had a feeling it wasn't supposed to be torqued down...

This is a two speed right, why is the second speed also not meshed in, I can't see really well on that photo, but seems like second gear on clutch bell is not meshed with anything?

Yea, too tight mesh will cause it to break like that. hold the bell or spur with one hand, and move the other, you should feel a bit of wiggle room and a click click sound, when gears are hitting each other, thats how you know mesh is good, not sure if this makes sense.

Also the reason why your throttle arm broke off, is because your throttle linkage is not set up properly and your servo is pushing or pulling on it too much.
These are metal, and very hard to break, on HPI RS4 they are plastic, so on those you have to be super careful.

Good luck!

@gandalfnz Oddly enough, this arm piece was plastic and very fragile. I wish I saved the other piece to measure for making my own little arm, I'm not buying a new carb for just that simple piece of plastic weighing less than one gram. I'll just have to make an educated guess on the length .
Also, that second gear you see is actually just one gear with carnage, it got compeltely tore up from overrevving due to the broken arm/throttle linkage; the engine had free reigns. Though supposedly these did come with 2-speed trans... I don't see how

Back