Help Setting Up Charge For LiFe RX Pack

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS1947

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Please excuse any stupid questions. I need help charging a Receiver pack for a nitro buggy. (Mugen MBX5R, w/ Airtronics M12 Radio). When I say help I mean step by step , photos appreciated, explanations for dummies.
Here is what I have. Please advise on settings, wire connections, wire connectors, etc. with step by step. I've struggled with this and can only assume I am either missing some hardware, have purchased the wrong hardware, or more likely not able to comprehend the process. Admittedly I am not well versed on the charger either. Thanks for any help.

BATTERY:
LRP VTEC RX Life Line 6.6v LiFe Hump pack model 430301
Connections:
In addition to the power connectors, you will also find so called balancer connectors at you LiFe-packs. Those
connectors comply with the EHR - standard and have a three-core cable on any 2S LiFe-pack. Those connectors are
used for balancing the single cells of a battery pack to an equal voltage level. For standard operation on the transmitter
or receiver the balancer is not necessary. Nevertheless, it must not be cut or removed by any means.
Balancing-port (2S - 7.4V Packs)
Black (battery -) = Cell 1-
Brown (call conn.) = Cell 1+ (Cell 2-)
Red (battery +) = Cell 2+
Max Chg Current 1C, Max Chg Voltage 7.20V

CHARGER:
Revolectrix Cell Pro PowerLab 8 Charger w/
Revolectrix 24V-DC55A Power Station
and Revolectrix MPA Parallel Adapter

@DSS1947 the simplest way would be to just buy a multi battery charging cable.

Then you'd just plug this into your charger and use the black JR/Futaba lead to plug into your receiver battery. I'd also suggest buying a balance board for your charger as well if you don't already have one. That will ensure all battery cells are equally charged and helps prolong the battery life.

The charging system you bought is severe overkill for what your doing. I don't have that particular charger, but I do have a couple of the cheaper Revolectrix GT500 chargers.

You would need an adapter for the 2 pin power plug on the pack, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Charger-Charging-Cable-Receiver/dp/B00683ZQTI

Plug the charger into the PSU and power it up.

Connect the bullets from that adapter I linked to the charger, plug the receiver plug into the adapter and plug the white connector into the balance port on the charger with the black wire at 0 pin (far left).

I just made an adapter to take a photo for you... but my setup differs as it appears my chargers balance plug is backwards compared to the Powerlab8's. Mine has the negative on the far right, yours has it on the far left.
2020-1027-Charging2S-RecieverPack-OnGT500.jpg

As for the screens, I'm assuming yours differ as well, so you will need to reference the manual for that in the charging section. On mine, the first screen is choosing battery type, first option Lithium-Po/FePO4, then on the next screen, I choose the specific type of lipo (Lipo or LifePO4) and charge current. I believe you would use LifePO4 for that pack and probably no more than 2A charge rate (1C).

Ahh that helps considerably. I already have that adapter so I will take a stab over the weekend. Thanks much.

The charging system you bought is severe overkill for what your doing. I don't have that particular charger, but I do have a couple of the cheaper Revolectrix GT500 chargers.

You would need an adapter for the 2 pin power plug on the pack, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Charger-Charging-Cable-Receiver/dp/B00683ZQTI

Plug the charger into the PSU and power it up.

Connect the bullets from that adapter I linked to the charger, plug the receiver plug into the adapter and plug the white connector into the balance port on the charger with the black wire at 0 pin (far left).

I just made an adapter to take a photo for you... but my setup differs as it appears my chargers balance plug is backwards compared to the Powerlab8's. Mine has the negative on the far right, yours has it on the far left.
2020-1027-Charging2S-RecieverPack-OnGT500.jpg

As for the screens, I'm assuming yours differ as well, so you will need to reference the manual for that in the charging section. On mine, the first screen is choosing battery type, first option Lithium-Po/FePO4, then on the next screen, I choose the specific type of lipo (Lipo or LifePO4) and charge current. I believe you would use LifePO4 for that pack and probably no more than 2A charge rate (1C).
Ok I am getting an error "Safety Code 20: Bad Cell Count" I I'm using CCS software for Revo as it makes it easier to see screens and make adjustments, but the problem still exists. I tried connecting pack via the Revo MPA board and also Banana Plugs directly to charger. I tried it using both FMA Wiring & XH/EH Wiring modes. Below are photos. Any idea what else it could be?
Pack Connected via Banana Clips.jpg
Pack Connected via Revo MPA Board.jpg
Revo Pack Settings.jpg
Revo Bad Cell Count (Error Detecting Cells).jpg
Revo Bad Cell Count.jpg

id try using the servo wire directly to the 4mm cable off charger.id eliminate the balance board. Either cut of Tamiya plug unless you are using Tamiya plugs on any other batteries and solder servo wire were Tamiya plug is..

Nope I was hoping you could remove balance board. And remove tamiya plug from squid and solder the servo plug to those wires. I think balance board is giving you the problem

Oh I see. I did try using banana plugs to connect directly to charger (see one of the photos). Would that not suffice?

missed that pic. that should have worked if charger was setup to charge only if it was setup to balance charge then you would get an error.. got any other charger to test?.I have a excharger that I use to test all batteries with when I 1st charge them sure it only 50 watts but does the job I need it for

Ok I am getting an error "Safety Code 20: Bad Cell Count" I I'm using CCS software for Revo as it makes it easier to see screens and make adjustments, but the problem still exists. I tried connecting pack via the Revo MPA board and also Banana Plugs directly to charger. I tried it using both FMA Wiring & XH/EH Wiring modes. Below are photos. Any idea what else it could be?
View attachment 123731View attachment 123732View attachment 123735View attachment 123733View attachment 123734
You don't have the balance plug also connected from the pack. YOu have to connect both the main power lead and the balance tap to the balace board or balance plug on the charger.

I kind of feel like your just messing with us at this point... lol! You have a $250 charger, $200+ PSU and you don't know how to plug stuff in yet? How did you end up with a top of the line charging system?

If your not messing with us, sorry. Just seems odd. All you needed was a $20-$50 25-50watt balance charger to charge a receiver pack.

You don't have the balance plug also connected from the pack. YOu have to connect both the main power lead and the balance tap to the balace board or balance plug on the charger.

I kind of feel like your just messing with us at this point... lol! You have a $250 charger, $200+ PSU and you don't know how to plug stuff in yet? How did you end up with a top of the line charging system?

If your not messing with us, sorry. Just seems odd. All you needed was a $20-$50 25-50watt balance charger to charge a receiver pack.
Please excuse any stupid questions. I need help charging a Receiver pack for a nitro buggy. (Mugen MBX5R, w/ Airtronics M12 Radio). When I say help I mean step by step , photos appreciated, explanations for dummies.
Here is what I have. Please advise on settings, wire connections, wire connectors, etc. with step by step. I've struggled with this and can only assume I am either missing some hardware, have purchased the wrong hardware, or more likely not able to comprehend the process. Admittedly I am not well versed on the charger either. Thanks for any help.
Solved...Balance Plug connected now. Pack is charging.
No I'm not messing with you. If you read my initial request I specifically stated that I didn't know what I was doing. That said, I also have an LRP 2000mAh LiFe RX pack that I tried before requesting help. In the instructions for "that" pack it states the following:

"In addition to the power connectors, you will also find so called balancer connectors at you LiFe-packs. Those
connectors comply with the EHR - standard and have a three-core cable on any 2S LiFe-pack. Those connectors are
used for balancing the single cells of a battery pack to an equal voltage level. For standard operation on the transmitter
or receiver the balancer is not necessary."

I took that to mean that the balancing plug didn't have to be connected.

As to how I ended up with high end equipment, when I purchased it, I first went onto a board like this one and asked for opinions on what to buy that would cover all applications. A number of responses suggested this equipment. I then contacted the Revolectrix customer service and again asked the same question in which they suggested this equipment. Sure they wanted to sell their high end stuff, but I also didn't want to get down the road and find out I had an application that I couldn't do. Now fast forward to today from 2+ years ago and the fact that I didn't remember much of what the manual said so I attempted to make it work only to find out I made a dumb mistake. Thanks for pointing that out BTW. Couple that with the fact that I have virtually no electronics knowledge, this is part of the learning experience for me. Thus my initial request..."Please excuse stupid questions" and "Explanations for Dummies".

At any rate I do appreciated the people that tried to help. The pack is charging now, although it only took a few minutes and it stated it was done at 92% so I assume I have it now.

No problem. You really just went with the "price is of no concern" when you bought your charging system! Do you charge other stuff with it?

No problem. You really just went with the "price is of no concern" when you bought your charging system! Do you charge other stuff with it?
Only RC Packs.
ProTek LiFe TX 1600mAh
DuraTrax NiMh Stick 5000aMh (2) for starter box
ProTek RX LiFe 1800mAh Packs (buying new as these are quite old)

Well, on the positive side, you could always start running electric and have your charging situation covered! For most, that's an additional expense.

Glad you got it working.