Help please - hyper 7 keeps cutting out when i brake???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickyo007

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

Can you help please?? I have got a brand new Hobao Hyper 7 TQ 21 Black Edition and ran it it gently and progressively using 20% Byron fuel with 15-20 minutes breaks between each tank. Car starts first time.

Recently I have come across a very frustrating problem whereby my car keeps cutting out everytime I brake or slow down to the idle?? I have tried everything, I have cleaned the fuel filter and fuel line pipes. I have ensured that both the car and transmitter are fully charged. I have got a nice clean, oiled air filter. I have tried resetting the Main Needle Valve to 3 full open turns as per the instruction and manual and have basically experimented with this setting, turning it in small amounts between 2 and 3.5 turns and it still keeps cutting out as soon as I touch the brake??

I have not touched any other settings as the car is new...?

Thanks

Do the wheels spin while your starting the car? If so, the clutch spring is the culprit. Check to make sure your carb isn't closing when you apply the brakes. The idle screw may have come loose.

Hi Matt

Wheels do not spin...In fact the car responds very well when I adjust the throttle trim on the transmitter and if I turn that up then the wheels do spin or if I turn it down it all slows down nicely...

Which one is the idle screw??

The one that holds the carb throat open a little bit. Usually at a funky angle under the barrel. The lsn is on the part of the barrel that moves in and out when you apply throttle. The hsn is the big brass one that the fuel line hooks up to. The idle screw is the other one. Find a picture of it if your unsure. Apply the brakes and set your idle. Then make sure your trim is set correctly, and not holding the throttle open when you let off of it, and allows full throttle when you squeeze the trigger completely..

What 'metalhead Matt' said is true, but before you adjust the throttle in any way, including the idle speed, make all your trim adjustments on your radio neutral or zero. Apply the brakes fully and turn the idle screw clockwise to bring the idle up and counter clockwise to lower it. You will need to have the engine at normal running temps before attempting to adjust the idle speed.

If the trim on the radio is adjusted too much, it can cause the throttle barrel to completely close causing the engine to shut down. You need to set a 1mm gap on the carb opening with the throttle linkage and adjust with the idle screw first before making any trim adjustments.

I went through this with my Savage, and the trim on the radio was the culprit. I set it to zero and started again, haven't had a problem since with it, or needed to make any trim adjustments with the radio since.

Cheers.
:D

Back