Help picking first nitro rc! Need durable beater, I think.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themaxx69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so this will be my first nitro rc I have ever had. I have always wanted one since I saw a grasshopper like 15 or so years ago. I have been doing a lot of reading on different trucks and buggies and truggies etc. But, there are just too many different ones out there.

Basically, I want something that isn't going to break(easily), and doesn't cost an arm & a leg. I don't want to jump 30 feet on concrete or do 4 back flips, land upside down and then keep going. I don't have a thousand dollars or more to spend on an rc truck, at least not right at once. That kinda leads me to another question about price. I see trucks for a few hundred and then something like a losi eight for $800. I read and watch videos of people beating up their 2-3-4 hundred dollar trucks and not breaking anything.

Like I said, I don't what to do insane 20-30 foot jumps or go 50 or 60mph. I'd just like too be able to run around all over, dirt, sand, grass, jumps like at skate/bike parks, dirt jumps, up trees:D things like that. I can't see doing too much over say 6 feet, IF that. Maybe longer jumps, but not higher.

I am a very mechanically inclined, a quick learner and knowledgeable/experienced with things like bikes, motorcycles, quads, 3 wheelers, electronics, etc. Wish I could ad women to that! :D

Thing is, there are so many differing opinions out there. I have read totally opposite things on like every truck, nitro or electric. I read good things about savages, traxxas, losi, tower, team associated and others I can't remember. Then I read people saying the complete opposite about them. Go figure.

I also, don't know much about the differences between trucks, buggies, truggies, stadium, monster, other than some obvious things like size and 2 or 4wd. I have seen videos of all the traxxas truck types and some savage and rc-10 gt and gt2 I think, and a losi eight and some losi trucks and more. And I have seen all of them do what I want and more. I don't know if some of those people spent many hundreds of dollar in upgrades. And I don't even know where to get started on upgrades. Some vehicles have like 10x more upgrades than others. I mean is there really that many you need to strengthen your truck other than a handful of areas, like tranny, suspension, wheels and drivetrain?

The price is a big thing too. Again, I've seen stampedes and rustlers just name a couple, doing big jumps and not breaking and those didn't seem too expensive. I'd rather not have to spend $500 or $800 if I can spend 3or4 hundred and be able to jump around and beat it up a bit all day. One thing that keeps popping up a lot though is an rc-10 gt or gt2. I have probably seen more people saying that is a good beginner and pretty tough, but how tough. And what's a beginner? I mean, my Honda CBR929 was basically my first bike, and I do wheelies(among other things) whenever I ride and have never put it down. Just cause I get an rc that will go 60mph or handles different doesn't mean I'm gonna floor it around full speed the first time and then smash it into a hundred pieces. If I can drive home, during rush hour, from west Phoenix to Tempe in the rain, with a blown brake line, and no clutch pedal, and not crash(long story), I can drive any rc car and not destroy it...at least not right away. You just have to be very careful and pay attention, till you get the hang of it. Little off the subject, but see my point.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but I hope that's not too much info:D

Also, any input on electric is welcome, but from all the reading I've done, I think for now I'd like nitro. Again, people say the total opposite about both. But, my initial impression seems that electric is more complicated and in the long run doesn't seem to save A TON of money. I know they both are great, but from what I was reading, for what I want to do, the main complaint seemed to be just getting the nitro to run right. But, other people say tuning isn't hard. Maybe it's an knowledge thing, I don't know. Don't bash me for that. I'm just saying, a lot of people don't learn how to do things correctly and then think it sucks. Same thing could be true with electric, but that's not the impression I've been getting. Seems like more overall work....for what I want. If I'm wrong, than I will learn and go with whatever suits my needs most.

Oops. Too much babbling, sorry. Think I'll go have some bourbon.....then maybe some scotch......hell, then I'll have a beer:D

Thanks for all the input and I can't wait to get running with whatever I get!

I was in that boat a couple of years ago. I heard lots of good things about the Traxxas T-Maxx. I went the cheep rout and found one on ebay. I spent about $300 (including shipping) but I also got a DX3 Spektrum transmitter. So I would say I got a good deal on it. I have had no problems other then normal wear and tear.
Matthew

How's it going there buddy? Sounds like you're having a tough time deciding? First off throw the saving money idea right out the window! It doesn't matter if the initial investment is $200 or $800 if you're going to get in to this hobby then you're going to spend MONEY. That said, I personally suggest the Savage. I've owned a couple of MT2s and a Revo and now own a Savage. I liked all the trucks for different reasons but for an all around beater the Savage rocks! My MT2s were a lot of fun but really were too small for all the different terrain I wanted to cover. Savages will go over anything. The Revo is more of a low cog race truck and is pretty darn durable too.

From what I read in your post, I agree on the Savage X being your best buy. The Losi LST2 is good also but most of time is more expensive to get. The T-Maxx isn't all bad but will break more often. Although you say you aren't going to get crazy, after a while you'll start pushing it more,then more etc... especially if you're going to be at the skate parks a lot.

i vote for savage. I started out with a cheapo e-bay truck just like your thinking about, ya it was cool at first but when stuff does break parts are harder to find. Also you may not "think" you want big air or high speed runs but that will change, especially if you find someone to bash with. Savage is an all around tough unit!! ya i own one so its my opinion but if you hit the view new post botton for this forum you'll usually find that less than 10% of the posts are about savage problems, and the ones that are there are all either awesome pic threads or how do i clean it questions!!!:first_place:

I agree with the cheapo ebay truck comment. I looked online and didn't find parts for some trucks I looked at. But Traxxas and Savage you can find at any good hobby shop. As for gas or electric, I choose gas. I like the power, sound, and the smell. They can be temperamental to tune but it's not hard to do, and it's pert of what I enjoy. If you have a local shop look and see what parts they carry, it maybe a big factor cause it will be easier and faster to get back in the action if you take a hard hit.

well since everyone here is saying savage i'm gonna go to the other side and say Revo, just because i have one and i haven't broken anything too serious since i have owned it, granted yeah i upgraded alot of things so i didn't break it, shocks, a-arms, wheels and tires, and engine, but all around i have had no serious issues with my revo and i have 2 of them, 1 complete and 1 in the works, and also an electric 1/16 e revo, but i like. . .no wait lets try that again,. . .i love the revo platform, the inboard suspension, long travel on the suspension, and pretty quick, mine was clocked at 55MPH on radar and also on GPS, so yeah its fast, but i have about a grand (give or take) in upgrades on mine just because i wanted it to go faster, but my point is if you decide to go revo you won't be disappointed, i know i'm not, and don't take this as i am trying to diss on the savage platform because i am not, the savage is a great rig and alot of people love them and also alot of people hate them, as well as the revo, some people love them and also alot of people hate them too, its all a matter of opinion, but i'm all for the revo, solid rig, lots of hop ups, and fast out of the box. Hope this helps you

You don't have to upgrade the Savage to take a beating out of the box. Also around here anyway, the Revo is more expensive to start with and he says he doesn't want to spend a lot of extra money. :p:

thats true, the savage is a cheaper priced rig, and i didn't "HAVE" to upgrade mine i just chose too

what size sav u gettin 5.9 or what the mgt 8.0 is also nice also if you can find places withe the smaller ones you can get better deals

It's funny that you mention the Grashopper that is what started me in this 20 years ago, then I took a break for 17 yrs and 3 years ago went out and bought an LST2 and although it was tough there was a steep learning curve and it was a little more expensive to get it super strong. Now as far as Nitro's I have LST2, Revo, Tmaxx, Savage, and a cheap rustler on its way. Without a doubt if I were to buy another first nitro it would be the Savage just for out of the box toughness and ease of use. Whatever you buy take your time and learn how to tune it.

Brian

I would have to agree with the Savage also. I ride also, I have a fully customized zx9. Before I got my bike I said I would never ride without a helmet, that was done the first day. I also said I wouldnt ride freeway untill i was riding for some time, also gone the first day. Said I would never do wheelies and go over 100mph. I have tickes for that now..lol. Even said I dont like fully customized bikes. Bike is now painted,polished,chromed, neon,etc.. I said all that because u never really know what your going to end up doing. The savage will cover u for all your needs. If your a tuner like me ( I did all the work to my bike myself ) its fun as hell working on the savage also. Try craigslist, they go for 200-300 all day. Hope this helps

Savage X 4.6 straight up....that thing is built tough from my experience, its fast, its strong, it hauls ass...Basically savage x is meant for the kind of stuff your talkin bout...i got mine for $450.

My vote is for the savage x as well.

I was in the same boat you were a few months ago. I himmed and hawed for a while. Where I'm at, I have a very good hobby shop, so I looked over, and over, and over again at them.

Then after a lot of reading, I ended up with the savage X. You're looking at about $400 for an RTR. Add a gallon of fuel, a glow ignitor, couple of extra glow plugs, nitro cleaner, lube, etc, and you'll still be under $500 for a tough truck.

Break it in according to the video (read the flowchart on this forum to fine tune it), and you'll be good to go.

The only regret I have about the truck, is not getting it sooner !

I'd also take a trip to your LHS, and see what parts / brands they stock parts for - Typically, HPI (the savage) & traxxas (the revo's, t-maxx, e-maxx) parts are readily available. The last thing you want to do is face a weekend, and not be able to go out because you can't get a $2 part.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...I-1-8-Savage-X-46-Big-Block-RTR-Monster-Truck

RC vehicles are a lot like politics or religion.
You and everyone who agrees with you is right - everyone else is either an idiot or a heretic - maybe both! Lol

My short answer to your quest for a durable beater - Savage X, maybe a Savage XL.

I own or have owned Savages, Revos, T-Maxxs’, buggies, truggies, stadium trucks etc, and the Savage is still my first choice to play with - then the Revo, which is a great vehicle in it’s own right. Since you’re looking for a durable beater, the Savage fits my definition of a beater over the Revo. I think that the Revo is a better truck to race - lord knows it’s lighter and it has a more sophisticated suspension - but the Savage speaks to a more primal state of mind.

I would disagree with your initial impression about electric being more complicated. It’s probably the other way around. Having said that, I’m a confirmed Nitroholic. Can’t beat the sound of a good engine and pipe combination.

Why a Monster Truck over the buggies, truggies, or stadium trucks?
Unless you plan on always running on groomed tracks, on the street, or on sand; ground clearance can be an issue. MT’s offer the most versatility when it comes to surfaces that you can utilize. Running on grass or over rocks isn’t usually an issue for an MT.

One other thing to consider - parts availability. A lot of models out there are here today and gone tomorrow. The Savage and the Revo (and the T-Maxx for that matter - which I don’t recommend for various reasons) have been around, and there are lots of replacement and upgrade parts available for both of them.

Good luck on your choice - keep us tuned in as to what you get.

PS - get a failsafe and a temp gun - and a charger/rechargeable battery for the truck if it doesn’t come with one.

Thaks for all the posts guys! A lot of great information.

I posted this on a couple other websites and the Savage X 4.6 seems to be recommended more than anything else. I'm getting curious about a truggy now. Any more thoughts on the truggies?

Also, I doubt I'll be driving on any grass taller than a half inch, probably much less. Mostly dirt, like dirt lots, school and public parks, streets, skate park, maybe out in the desert once in a while.

Check out the youtube videos for all the different ones you're looking at. Make sure to check out the Savage too. I was looking at getting a truggy when the Savage videos swayed me another direction. I already had a couple of MT2s and a Revo so the Savage was the perfect truck. I got the SS so that I could have the enjoyment of building it myself which was also a big deciding factor for the Savage. Now the only nitro I own is the very same Savage.

Truggies handle really nice due to their low CG and they are fun to race.
I would avoid one (as a basher) if you're ever planning to run on grass though. BTW I think your assumption about the height of grass is a bit off. During the heat of the summer I'm usually setting the mower deck at 3 inches - usually 2 ½ inches during the spring rains (once or twice at 2 inches). Any lower and the lawn gets sun scorched.

The reason I mention this is that my truggy (an HPI Hellfire) sits at about 1 1/2 inches. When you run on grass, the blades of grass especially in a thick lawn add a significant amount of frictional resistence. Slows the truggy down and overheats the engine = less fun.

Concerning the HPI Hellfire - stock RTR motor is pretty pedestrian - it was quickly switched out. Other than that I like it.

You can always start with a basher MT and then branch out into truggies...
Why limit yourself to just one toy? lol

Well, I picked up a used rc10 gt on ebay for $100. Seemed like a great deal. Comes with a whole bunch of stuff. Item number 250530192765. Was looking at a JR XR2i radio. Found some cheap, around $20-30. What do you guys think?:D

I think I will get a savage X in a little while, but right now I was looking at getting an electric Stampede. I know, electric, but I have been doing more reading and some high MAh NiMH packs aren't that expensive and seem like enough when playing around outside and close to the house and seem better for my son.

Again, thanks for all the input so far and I will be be getting a nitro Savage X soon.:thumbs-up:

So, what do you guys think about the E-Stampede? From all I've read, seems to be great truck. I don't think I need to go brushless, at least not now. Just not sure about ESCs and motor combos. Don't need wicked speed. No racing. I have quite a few locally and on ebay for around $100. Some with the XL-5 esc. There just seem to be so many motors out there. The stock XL-5 with titan seem ok, but a little more power wouldn't hurt.