Help on how to customize cut Starter Box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nazUK

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi Everyone

Right I bought my first Starter Box and to my surprise it does not fit my truck.
Very annoying and it's suppose to be universal/multi whatever they call it, "what a load of crap"
Anyway been on the net trying to see if other people have had the same problem as me and I did find quite a few. What I also found out is that a lot of guys have adapted there boxes by cutting them and lifting the wheel to make it fit or shall I say work.

My question is has anyone done this...
How did you go abouts doing it?
What tools did you use?
Any tips or techniques I should use?
Also did you have to cut the chassis too?

I have a fair idea what to do but want to make sure I do it right before I start.

Thanks in advance

Forgot to mention...

It's a "Kyosho Multi Starter Box Pro 2.0 (KYO36209)"
My truck is a HSP Savagery Pro also known as Redcat Racing Landslide 21.
But I've modded it so much it's not even stock anymore

If the top deck of the box needs to be cut, I use a dremel cutoff wheel and then smooth the edges with a file or dremel drum sander.
If the drive wheel assembly need to be raised, just use the needed amount of shims between it and the box, and adjust the drive motor if needed.
Depending on the chassis you have and the diameter of the box wheel you may have to modify the chassis, but that doesn’t need to be done very often.

I find that most often a couple millimeters bigger diameter flywheel if possible takes care of most issues rather than modifying the box. It just depends on the situation

If the top deck of the box needs to be cut, I use a dremel cutoff wheel and then smooth the edges with a file or dremel drum sander.
If the drive wheel assembly need to be raised, just use the needed amount of shims between it and the box, and adjust the drive motor if needed.
Depending on the chassis you have and the diameter of the box wheel you may have to modify the chassis, but that doesn’t need to be done very often.

I find that most often a couple millimeters bigger diameter flywheel if possible takes care of most issues rather than modifying the box. It just depends on the situation

Thanks snook so the best tool to use for this would be a dremel?
I don't have one so looks like may have to look into buying one... Bit of a bummer, more money to spend :\

The dremel is just an easy way; you could remove the top and cut it with a jig saw and metal blade or good tin snips if you had too. There’s always the trusty hacksaw blade as well:hehe:
A dremel is a good investment for the hobby though. I couldn’t live without my 5 dremels…

The dremel is just an easy way; you could remove the top and cut it with a jig saw and metal blade or good tin snips if you had too. There’s always the trusty hacksaw blade as well:hehe:
A dremel is a good investment for the hobby though. I couldn’t live without my 5 dremels…

Yea think I'll have to invest in a dremel because all the other tools will just make a horrible mess in my experience. Pretty sure with at least a dremel its more cleaner and easier to cut if you know what I mean

Last edited:
Right thought I give you guys an update been a bit busy cause of work so didn't get around to fitting the flywheel sooner.
Anyway finally fitted the larger flywheel and "Wow" what a difference, it's a bit late in the night so can't test the flywheel working but as it stands visually it so much lower, but not low enough that it sticks out or right next to chassis hole, sits a good 5mm away.
It looks very likely with the bigger flywheel it may work without any modding to the starter box the only problem I have noticed which was something mentioned on another forum is the chassis hole is not bigger enough and one side of the edge is touching the starter wheel. So it looks like I may need to make the hole under the chassis bigger from one side, which to be honest isn't too bad as it's an easier mod to do rather than modding the starter box.