Help new baja feels flat on acceleration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all I am new to the site and new to rc cars. I have recently bought a new rovan 30.5cc baja I have done the run in and drove the truck a few times and it runs fine just no low down power
What I mean is it won't spin the wheels it won't do a donut.
My mates one would run rings around it
I have tried playing with the carb loads
Re set it back to factory settings no different have put a new plug in it and I have tried loads of messing with the high jet and low and keep putting them back to factory settings but just can't get it to let rip lol.
I took the air filter off and the butterfly opens all the way on full throttle and no brakes binding at all with or without throttle (engine off and rolling it) my mix was 200ml for 5l of fuel (MX5 synthetic motocross oil)
If I try and pull off with 1/4 throttle it hardly moves
I have put the carb back to factory settings and tired the car with the air filter off and no difference
It feels like when I give full throttle on the remote the car only has half throttle but it all looks good hope this makes sense
Thanks all for any advice and help
The videos are full throttle runs

Welcome in @Jonathon , your baja instantly takes off when you hit the throttle so that tells me the clutch is fine. Adjust the mixture screw on the carb, turn it clockwise about a 1/16" at a time. That will open up your top end.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 138
I have tried it loads don't make a difference still The same

I would check and see if you have any leaks in your fuel lines then.

That baja should be able to burn the grass taking off. id also suggest the mixture screw.. its just not right sounding...adjusting mixture screw you should be able to see a difference in spark plug(do you see any?) if not it might be a bad carb.

You might also check the throttle trim on your transmitter. Not sure what transmitter you have but It's quite possible it may have been bumped back so you will only get limited response. I've done that with my baja.

Last edited:
Check the carb gasket. it may be bad.

That carb is still way fat (rich) on the bottom, at least from the sound of it. What do your plugs look like on the insulator? I'm betting sooty black. My stock 26cc Baja really woke up with a pumper carb (accelerator pump equipped) and higher RPM clutch springs, along with fine tuning.

If the plugs are black then you have to use a different brand oil. I use Ams oil 32:1 mix and my plugs are super clean. The stock carb is just fine and a high RPM clutch is useless. I use the stock 6K clutch.