Help! Need advice on broken diff on new savage!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdogg1966

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
:angry:Hi guys, yesterday my son and i took my new savage 4.6 down to the field below our house for some bashing. I bought this truck brand new with a set of HOT BODIES 7" quake tires with the bender wheels pre-installed. here's the problem, after some serious jumps and alot of pounding by my son and I i could hear a crunching noise coming from the differential. the truck ran and preformed great but the noise grew increasingly worse so after I got home i called Tony at my L.H.S and he said it was more than likely the "spider gears" and if i kept running the oversize wheels and tires then i'm probably going to keep having this problem. So here's my question: Does anyone make a tougher set of replacement diffs or a stronger set of spider gears for the savage line of trucks? The truck looks awesome with these wheels and tires and i would like to leave them on but i don't want to keep breaking diffs. Also could this just be a random thing and will i have to worry about it if i leave on the big wheels? all information will be greatly appreciated. thanks kdogg:\

The bigger wheels can be a problem but more than likely the root cause is the factory assembled diff is too sloppy. There is an upgrade available,HPI has a "Bullet Proof" gear set that I believe was introduced for the Flux. You still need to properly shim the clearances for the longest life span though.

Have you taken it apart yet? I had something similar happen to mine only it was in the front. Every time i applied the brakes I heard this really bad grinding noise coming from the front end. I thought sure it was a blown front diff. Turned out to be just the bearing on the outdrive cup the inner race had seized up on the ring gear.

Ya I had snapped off three teeth off of the rear bevel right after break-in. Slapped on HPI's bullet proof diffs and have bashed it harder then ever without problems!

This is the ring/pinion that is deemed bulletproof:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYDN6&P=ML

Still requires you to probably run aluminum cups though.

Proper throttle control on landings will go a long way in keeping diffs alive. The problem you are having will just be moved to another part if you get stronger diffs. Next you will be snapping axles if you don't change how you drive.

Honestly, I believe that if the diffs weren't properly shimmed, that's where the problem came from.

hey, the ring and pinion was chewed up, replaced it and added a new 3 speed. waiting on a part for the pull start, gonna try it out this weekend and if it goes out again i'll go to the better ring and pinion, thanks for the info guys. kdogg

broken diff

I just use the diffs. from the savage XL ,they are suppose to be heavy duty and so far I have had no problems with this upgrade.

Ed

Back