Help me with silicone oils to shock

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByPS

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hallo guys,
I have got one Revo and I dedicated to change silicone oil in front shock.
In the manual is information that all shocks includes sae-30WT oil.
I was use the Pennzoil-40W 100% silicone oil. But this 40W oil is moew washy than the 30WT.
I do not understand diferences between signs W and WT.
Can you pelase explain me this diference and hlep which OIL to the shoc I can buy on the towerhobbies.com to correct efect?

My friend are in HPI Savage using the 40W but their have smaller holes in the pistons.

Thanks a lot fir answers and tips. I am out of USA and I can buy something from tower only.

I used Losi 40 wt in my fronts on my Revo and they seem ok, though I haven't run too much yet. Does Pennzoil make shock fluid for RC's? There's much to be said that a weights can vary between brands. Also are all your shocks using the same piston? I think on the Revo the fronts have a three hole and the rears have a two hole, make sure you didn't mix them up.

By the way, you may search eBay, there's often sellers that will make international shipments. Tower is pretty good though.

Associated oil is all I ever use in my shocks.

you could also go with rcboyz.com by the way, they ship international as well.

Hallo to all,
yes I am using diferent piston holes in the front and rear. At this moment in front I am using the smallest hoels because in the shock I have 40w oil and it is not thinner. Excuse my english pelase.
The link to the asso 40wt oil is very good and price is also good. 2oz is 59 mililiters. one revo shock take 4ml, it is 0.13oz. in this case one bottle give up 17 shock fillings. Its great.
Thanks a lot for all yours tips, the web pages I will explore, maybe I found new sources.

my second questions is, which oil you are using in the diferentials? I am running truck trial and I need to close diffs. The stock oil do not close diffs. Can I use 80wt? Do you have expiriences with trialing?

Regards,
ByPS.

Hey ByPS, "w" and "wt" are both abbreviations for "oil weight" in English, so do not worry about it. They both mean the same thing.

You did not say on which end of the Revo you wanted more stiffness or shock control. You might want to put the smaller two hole piston shocks on the rear with 40W and use the stock two hole shocks on the front with 30W. You will get faster jounce and rebound control on the rear and stiffer overall up front. You might end up with an oversteer problem but this might be preferred if you run a lot of loose dirt.

Hey ByPS, not sure what truck trial are, but are they similar to Motorcycle? Anyway what are you trying to achieve with the diff? Are spinning your tires in turns or do you need more punch from a start? Next time I make it to Prague I'll have to look you up.

Revo Rancher said:
Hey ByPS, "w" and "wt" are both abbreviations for "oil weight" in English, so do not worry about it. They both mean the same thing.

You did not say on which end of the Revo you wanted more stiffness or shock control. You might want to put the smaller two hole piston shocks on the rear with 40W and use the stock two hole shocks on the front with 30W. You will get faster jounce and rebound control on the rear and stiffer overall up front. You might end up with an oversteer problem but this might be preferred if you run a lot of loose dirt.

Hallo,
I have discovered a lot of text about viskosity and signs. The 30WT which is in revo stock shock is SAE. SAE is thinner that ISO. and WT is viskosity in thousands. So revo have 30.000W in SAE. Trinty and a lot of the others companies are making this oils but they are too expensive. Guys in top messages get me tips for trinity and the others.
on rc boyz are proces more friendly.

My english is not so good and sometimes I do not undestand well. I have installed close ration in the transmition and spur gear with 40 teaths. I plan to install 14T clutch to get more power with stock engine and get slower Revo. I installed long travel rockers for adventige to go over big blocks. In trial mode is needed to go slowly with power and slowly climbing up.
I see that I need better clutch maybe from aluminium with possibility to set the moment when the clutch go up and stock tires are not good for climbing. On others surfaces as is dirt, road they are very good but climbing needs bigger design.
So for climbing the shock have to be soften. I will use stock long travel spring with thinner oils.
In this moment I have stock rear (30wt with pistons with 2 holes) and on the front I have 40W and pistons with smallest holes, but the oil is not good. I wull buy 30WT, 40WT, 50WT and 70WT.
Diferentials I need to close for the climbing, but nothing I tried (try).

Do you somebody have thinks how to improve revo for climbing? I practise on my garden and in forest. Forest terrain is nice but Revo is still going too much fast.

jetmechG550 said:
Hey ByPS, not sure what truck trial are, but are they similar to Motorcycle? Anyway what are you trying to achieve with the diff? Are spinning your tires in turns or do you need more punch from a start? Next time I make it to Prague I'll have to look you up.

Hallo,
the truck trial that you are with your truck going slowly over complicated landscape. IF you flip or overturn, you have minus points. RC model usualy race the trial in forest whre is nice terrain. The diferentials I need to close because I need provide power to both tires when one tire is in the air if you understand me.
Reve have unique chasis and very good handling. Revo is good choice for trials or climbing but need some improvements to tage advantage to the opponents.
Fast start I do not need.

jetmechG550 said:
I used Losi 40 wt in my fronts on my Revo and they seem ok, though I haven't run too much yet. Does Pennzoil make shock fluid for RC's? There's much to be said that a weights can vary between brands. Also are all your shocks using the same piston? I think on the Revo the fronts have a three hole and the rears have a two hole, make sure you didn't mix them up.

By the way, you may search eBay, there's often sellers that will make international shipments. Tower is pretty good though.

No, penzoil is not making silicone oils especialy for rc models but they are making oil for motorcycles and you can buy two bottles. One with 5W with blue oil and secont pure iol with 40W. on back side is table how to mix oils to get wanted viskosity. the table is in SAE and ISO. The oils are 100% silicone.
My friends are usualy using it in their hpi savages and they are satisfied, but savage have diferent shocks and holes in pistons in the shocks are micro.
For Revo is 40W not good oil.

I would think you would want to use thinner diff fluid. Are you using the longer rockers and pushrods, that should bump up your ride height a little too.

jetmechG550 said:
I would think you would want to use thinner diff fluid. Are you using the longer rockers and pushrods, that should bump up your ride height a little too.

Hallo, yes I am. I have installed long travel rockers but using stock push rods becausein manual is wrote to use stock in middle hole in lower arms. The size of push rods I do not change. Can I to change it?

I think there is a longer pushrod, might be listed on the Traxxas site but I can't remember where I saw that.

Back